The Random Thoughts Thread

Discuss anything you want.
Captain Terror

Re: The Random Thoughts Thread

Post by Captain Terror » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:49 pm

Torgo wrote:A Behind the Music documentary about Figrin D'an and the Modal Nodes.
Behind the Music Voice-over Guy: "The story of a band who had it all...until an addiction to Death Sticks brought it all crashing down..."
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:28 pm

Captain Terror wrote: Behind the Music Voice-over Guy: "The story of a band who had it all...until an addiction to Death Sticks brought it all crashing down..."
Elan Sleazebaggano in a dark room with a very deep voice: "Figrin had a problem. A huge problem. When I found out they were reduced to gigs on Mos Eisley, I cried. I cried so hard."
Last Great Movie Seen
Vampyr (Dreyer, 1932)
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:29 pm

Oxnard Montalvo

Post by Oxnard Montalvo » Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:09 pm

from what I recall of my teenage years I was a bit of a prick and there are plenty of stuff I still feel guilty about. but at least I wasn't that guy so maybe I feel a bit better about my teenage self.
Stu

Post by Stu » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:49 pm

Oxnard Montalvo wrote:
from what I recall of my teenage years I was a bit of a prick and there are plenty of stuff I still feel guilty about. but at least I wasn't that guy so maybe I feel a bit better about my teenage self.
When I was younger (meaning 16) and didn't know any better, I was a young Republican due to my overall social conservatism, as I was kind of a Christian fundamentalist at the time (at least, moreso than I am now), but I definitely grew out of that phase, so here's hoping the same thing happens to that little twerp there, eh?
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:53 am

Stu wrote:When I was younger (meaning 16) and didn't know any better, I was a young Republican due to my overall social conservatism, as I was kind of a Christian fundamentalist at the time (at least, moreso than I am now), but I definitely grew out of that phase, so here's hoping the same thing happens to that little twerp there, eh?
I was a Republican in my early years as well mainly because my parents were, and I pretty much just believed what they believed. However, as I started to grow up, I realized that my opinions aligned more with Democratic views. This also applies with religion as I was a Christian simply because my parents were. However, I haven't been really firm on a particular religion for quite some time.

As for the kid from the video, he still posts videos today. I haven't watched his recent videos, so I don't if he's still as idiotic as he was in that video, but I do know that he's still a Republican.
Stu

Post by Stu » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:58 am

Popcorn Reviews wrote: I was a Republican in my early years as well mainly because my parents were, and I pretty much just believed what they believed. However, as I started to grow up, I realized that my opinions aligned more with Democratic views. This also applies with religion as I was a Christian simply because my parents were. However, I haven't been really firm on a particular religion for quite some time.

As for the kid from the video, he still posts videos today. I haven't watched his recent videos, so I don't if he's still as idiotic as he was in that video, but I do know that he's still a Republican.
Fortunately, according to the polls, millenial membership in the Republican party is quite low at the moment (and understandably so), but their enthusiasm for the Democratic party on the whole is dropping quite sharply as well, so I'm happy that they're not just settling for the first neo-liberal politician on that side that just "isn't Trump". Now, if only the actual overall party would change faster to represent the people for once, already...
Oxnard Montalvo

Post by Oxnard Montalvo » Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:45 am

I imagine coming of age during the Iraq War, ascension of Fox News, '08 financial crisis, Sarah Palin, and the Tea Party helped determine my future political leanings. though I dunno if that's good to have one's thoughts defined by the negative (i.e. what you oppose) than the positive (i.e. what you support).

because there have been plenty of times these last few years where I can almost feel my head ossifying in real-time.
Slentert

Post by Slentert » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:54 am

I just hate it whenever someone posts "R.I.P. (this person)" and people react with "I'm sorry, who?" or "Never heard of him/her". I mean, you're already online, Google is free, show some fucking decency and look it up yourself.
LEAVES

Post by LEAVES » Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:20 pm

I think it's worse for people to focus more on people after they're dead than when they're alive, and then double-down on their disregard for the individual as a living person deserving of decency by resorting to hackneyed statements that are further abbreviated, because apparently it's too difficult to write, "Rest in Peace" or, good heavens, think of something original that the person to be honored with is deserving of.

I would much prefer any one death to be a reminder to celebrate someone living, and in that way perhaps each person will be celebrated and acknowledged when they're alive instead of when they're dead. Think to yourself, if you've ever felt out-of-the-loop or lonely: Why is it that the only time in your life that your friends will all get together is when you die, or perhaps when you get married, but only the first time? The culture of celebrating people after they die is the ultimate celebration of procrastination.
Oxnard Montalvo

Post by Oxnard Montalvo » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:27 pm

are you talking about mourning people we know in real life or famous people?
Stu

Post by Stu » Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:35 pm

Have currently started work in earnest on an epic new thread about the history of the New Hollywood movement...

:oops:
Oxnard Montalvo

Post by Oxnard Montalvo » Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:01 am

Stu wrote:Have currently started work in earnest on an epic new thread about the history of the New Hollywood movement...

I can dig it.
John Dumbear

Post by John Dumbear » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:34 am

Oxnard Montalvo wrote:are you talking about mourning people we know in real life or famous people?
It must be famous people. Nothing else comes close to a personal loss...duh

As far as famous people, the one I recall the most is Frank Zappa. He was my musical icon and was absolutely crushed by his death.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:18 pm

Stu wrote:Have currently started work in earnest on an epic new thread about the history of the New Hollywood movement...

Looks really good so far.
Oxnard Montalvo

Post by Oxnard Montalvo » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:56 pm

Oxnard Montalvo wrote:are you talking about mourning people we know in real life or famous people?
John Dumbear wrote:It must be famous people. Nothing else comes close to a personal loss...duh
yeah ignore my question, I think I misread LEAVES's post
Stu

Post by Stu » Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:19 am

Popcorn Reviews wrote: Looks really good so far.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:46 am

Just wanted to give a shoutout to Crypt TV. I've only heard of and been subscribed to their channel for about a month, but they're quickly becoming one of my favorite youtube channels. Basically, they produce about 3 short horror films every week. While this method can often lead to quantity over quality, I feel like most of what they do is really good to great. I feel like they have a bit of everything for all horror fans. I'll link a few of my favorite videos they've done.

SHI
One Please
Turned
DO NOT
Kinderfänger
Also, here's my favorite series they did: Look-See

I'm curious to hear what you guys have to say about them.
Death Proof

Post by Death Proof » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:15 pm

After 22 years I am stepping back into the wrestling ring. Going to try to squeeze a couple of decent matches out of this old, worn out body. Hoping maybe around November to do a match if all goes well.

I did some training with the guys 2 weeks ago and everything hurt for a week.

I need stronger drugs.

Shepherds we shall be, for thee, my Lord, for thee.
Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, our feet may swiftly carry out Thy commands.
So we shall flow a river forth to Thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be.
In Nomeni Patri Et Fili Spiritus Sancti.
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:45 pm

Death Proof wrote:After 22 years I am stepping back into the wrestling ring. Going to try to squeeze a couple of decent matches out of this old, worn out body. Hoping maybe around November to do a match if all goes well.

I did some training with the guys 2 weeks ago and everything hurt for a week.

I need stronger drugs.
Best of luck! Don't get hurt too badly.
There's a movie that could be made about that...possibly starring Mickey Rourke.
Last Great Movie Seen
Vampyr (Dreyer, 1932)
Death Proof

Post by Death Proof » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:38 pm

Torgo wrote:Best of luck! Don't get hurt too badly.
There's a movie that could be made about that...possibly starring Mickey Rourke.

Thanks - if I can make it out there with no sprains, breaks or concussions I'll be happy.

I actually wrote a screenplay a couple of months ago inspired by my character, although it was as if he'd been working for a large (WWE-sized) federation for a long time. It's sort of the opposite of The Wrestler, in that his life is changing, but it's for the positive. I really need to sit down and edit it... I sent it to a friend in Hollywood who liked it, but said it needed some work on the structure.

So... keeping busy. Mentally and physically.

Shepherds we shall be, for thee, my Lord, for thee.
Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, our feet may swiftly carry out Thy commands.
So we shall flow a river forth to Thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be.
In Nomeni Patri Et Fili Spiritus Sancti.
Slentert

Post by Slentert » Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:01 pm

So I've finally bought myself a blu-ray player, and a tv to go with it.
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:37 pm

What is everyone's experience with Fathom Events?
We went to Rifftrax Live's Krull show last night and the satellite feed went down. It came back for about ten minutes, but then it went down again. Thankfully, we got a refund. According to Twitter, theaters across the U.S. had the same problem. A friend of ours had a similar experience with a Fathom Events screening she went to last Tuesday.
The only Fathom screenings I've gone to regularly are for RiffTrax Live, and until last night, I haven't had any problems. Hopefully, these are just freak occurrences.
Last Great Movie Seen
Vampyr (Dreyer, 1932)
Stu

Post by Stu » Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:39 am

Apparently, our mother site just got rid of its "Want To See" function for users, as well as the ability to leave comments on films pre-release after Captain Marvel started getting swamped with negative remarks and ratings from trolls backlashing against Brie Larson's comments on diversity in press coverage for the film. Now, I don't care about that (it's probably for the best anyway, given the way trolls have abused the site before), but I do care about the fact that they seem to have also completely removed their listing of the overall critical average score for every single film on the site, which is (was) the far, far more accurate way to determine how much or little critics actually like a movie, which mean I'll have to start using Metacritic for that, which measures a much smaller collection of reviews than they do. I also care about the way this paragraph in they announced their announcement...
Over the past 18 months, we’ve made a number of updates at Rotten Tomatoes, all in an effort to streamline the site and provide users with a more enriched experience. These updates include the launch of a new visual identity (you don’t hate the red anymore, right?); the creation of new original editorial, video, and social content (check us out on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram); and a revamped Tomatometer critics criteria that better reflects the current media landscape, increases inclusion, and more fully serves the global entertainment audience.
...of course, only mention they things they've added, and say nothing about how they abruptly deleted every single forum on the site a couple years with absolutely zero warning to us, wiping out almost 20 years worth of posts (some of them were good, even!); again, Rotten Tomatoes, feel free to fuck off forever.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:38 pm

Actually, it's still possible to access the critical average rating by clicking the "More Info" button below the tomatometer. I'm not sure it was really necessary to change the layout but just wanted to point that out.
John Dumbear

Post by John Dumbear » Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:17 pm

I am a huge college basketball geek (My favorite sport). With "March Madness" right around the corner, I'd like to start a thread. But fear that I may be the sole contributor. :(
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:41 pm

John Dumbear wrote:I am a huge college basketball geek (My favorite sport). With "March Madness" right around the corner, I'd like to start a thread. But fear that I may be the sole contributor. :(
I'm being sincere when I say the last time I followed NCAA basketball, Shaq was at LSU. :D
John Dumbear

Post by John Dumbear » Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:58 pm

Captain Terror wrote: I'm being sincere when I say the last time I followed NCAA basketball, Shaq was at LSU. :D
Kind of what I thought. Early on, Duke looked like men among boys. Not now, and there isn't really a clear favorite. There's around ten that could be champs. I'll be watching alone in my empty man cave...
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:58 pm

John Dumbear wrote:
Kind of what I thought. Early on, Duke looked like men among boys. Not now, and there isn't really a clear favorite. There's around ten that could be champs. I'll be watching alone in my empty man cave...
Hey, don't let me rain on the parade, maybe someone else follows it. Just adding my two cents is all.

Also- Jesus I'm old! Just realized Shaq graduated in '92.
Stu

Post by Stu » Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:04 pm

Popcorn Reviews wrote:Actually, it's still possible to access the critical average rating by clicking the "More Info" button below the tomatometer. I'm not sure it was really necessary to change the layout but just wanted to point that out.
Well, it's good that it's not gone completely, but it was still already listed in smaller text in the first place (making it harder to check it out anyway), and this just means I'll have to jump through another unnecessary hoop in order to view the average at all (and ensuring far less people on the whole will never see the average anyway, making for an even less educated public), so this move still counts against RT's favor in the end :D
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:04 pm

Stu wrote:Well, it's good that it's not gone completely, but it was still already listed in smaller text in the first place (making it harder to check it out anyway), and this just means I'll have to jump through another unnecessary hoop in order to view the average at all (and ensuring far less people on the whole will never see the average anyway, making for an even less educated public), so this move still counts against RT's favor in the end :D
Very true.