Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:31 am
Post Re: Jis Desh Mein Ganga Behti Hai

is Ram Leela downloadable anywhere yet?

Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:35 pm

It's on PTP. Which is back up!

Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:42 pm

Been listening to the Gangs of Wasseypur sdtrk on loop. Obviously, this is the best song from the film...

Podcasts: Cinema on the Road (Ep #29: CHENNAI EXPRESS et al) | They Shot Pictures (Eps #25 & 26:2013 In Review) (w/ roujin, fist & Sean) *NEW

Blog |Twitter |MUBI
Char's Cinematic Caravan | Female Gaze | We Like to Watch | Czechoslovakian New Wave | Charulata's Directors' Throwdown | Director Marathon 1: Jean Renoir

"Life affirming doesn’t mean good things happen." - James Gray

Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:29 am

I saw the movie this thread is named after sort of recently. I was pretty mixed on it, but I guess I'm glad I saw it. Raj Kapoor's character and the ham-handedness of the screenplay threaten to sink the film, but the visuals have a real physical quality to them, which I think makes the musical numbers work especially well and also makes the film's message work on a more visceral level (even when the dialogue is spelling it out awkwardly).

Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:16 pm

These subs...

But more importantly, Bipasha Basu. :heart:

Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:59 am

flieger wrote:
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image

gloriously messy absurdist screwball. best hindi 2013, surely?

Pretty, too.

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image

Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:33 pm

Wow. So what is that? (I can't search 16 pages for purple cows.) :P

Wonder Woman ▪ The Running Man ▪ Mohabbatein ▪ Veer-Zaara ▪ Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 ▪ Pierrot le fou ▪ Highway ▪ Leningrad Cowboys Go America ▪ Band Baaja Baaraat ▪ Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi ▪ Jab We Met

Voyage | Female Gaze | MACBETH | Sokurov | Fassbinder | Greenaway | Denis | Book Shelf

Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:23 am

It's Matru ka Bijlee ki Mandola.

Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:30 am

And Netflix has it! Thank you!

Wonder Woman ▪ The Running Man ▪ Mohabbatein ▪ Veer-Zaara ▪ Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 ▪ Pierrot le fou ▪ Highway ▪ Leningrad Cowboys Go America ▪ Band Baaja Baaraat ▪ Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi ▪ Jab We Met

Voyage | Female Gaze | MACBETH | Sokurov | Fassbinder | Greenaway | Denis | Book Shelf

Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:42 am

Anushka Sharma looks the best in that movie. #criticism

Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:38 pm

You can look, but with love.

Or so the subtitles said.

Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:35 pm

Speaking of Bhardwaj and goodlooking ladies, I saw Kaminey last night. Was it my fault that it took me more than an hour to realize Shahid Kapoor didn't have some unseen brother in the movie but plays twins, and was thus confused about the characterization of his "character" until I realized what was actually going on?

Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:43 am

flieger, were you a ghostwriter for Shankar's I? The gym/workout and Mr. Tamil Nadu bodybuilding contest sequences in I are truly sublime.

I can't find pics or clips that do them justice. This will have to do:
https://youtu.be/FgyOUGIynvU?t=28s

Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:03 am

:fresh: :fresh: :fresh:

Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:28 am

ver!!!!! ok fine, i'll watch this now...

Podcasts: Cinema on the Road (Ep #29: CHENNAI EXPRESS et al) | They Shot Pictures (Eps #25 & 26:2013 In Review) (w/ roujin, fist & Sean) *NEW

Blog |Twitter |MUBI
Char's Cinematic Caravan | Female Gaze | We Like to Watch | Czechoslovakian New Wave | Charulata's Directors' Throwdown | Director Marathon 1: Jean Renoir

Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:53 am

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
:heart: This scene in Nayakan (Ratnam, 1987)

Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:10 pm

Verite wrote:
flieger, were you a ghostwriter for Shankar's I? The gym/workout and Mr. Tamil Nadu bodybuilding contest sequences in I are truly sublime.

a definite must-see :heart: :heart: :heart:

Colonel Kurz wrote:
:heart: This scene in Nayakan (Ratnam, 1987)

oh god, yes :heart:

Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:47 pm

Salman sentenced to 5 years in prison.

http://www.filmfare.com/news/salman-kha ... -9105.html

Thu May 07, 2015 1:50 am

Sat May 09, 2015 7:29 am

Piggy Chops on ABC!

Mon May 18, 2015 7:34 pm

Verite wrote:

I can't find pics or clips that do them justice. This will have to do:
https://youtu.be/FgyOUGIynvU?t=28s

thought only of you during all of those sequences :heart: :heart:
http://i.imgur.com/yRFAjbt.gifv

Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:57 pm

^ Might just be the scene of the decade.

Word on the street is J.B. is going to use that as prep material for a gym visit for his Looking and Listening course 8-)

Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:21 pm

http://i.imgur.com/a28EZoN.gifv

Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:44 pm

getting hard

Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:20 pm

Sat Dec 12, 2015 4:28 am

flieger wrote:
It does look great, doesn't it?
The 3 hour cut has a better print (and was the source of all the screenshots bar the hand one), and would also have the virtue of a shorter middle act. Then again, you are missing 45 minutes of Kapoor.
As for char's opinion, it's probably tainted by her distaste for old-man-Kapoor's breast-fetish, or something like that.

i owe fliegie and rk the biggest apology. mera naam joker is everything. child seema just didnt understand sadly it seems.

Blog |Twitter |MUBI

Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:00 pm

Aw, so I should see it then? You kind of talked me out of it before. :)

Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:51 pm

Shieldmaiden wrote:
Aw, so I should see it then? You kind of talked me out of it before. :)

i cant apologize enough for that. i do think that it's a film that requires one to be of a certain age but also and perhaps, more importantly, have some understanding of what raj kapoor means to indian cinema which I didn't necessarily have as a child despite his stature. he's also a really tough person to interview.. around the time i watched this, i also watched a lengthy interview with him where he talks about his work really frivolously and had much to say about his preferences when it comes to the female anatomy.. all of which really irked me as a child. but watching this film (and parts of sangam) almost back to back has me thinking this is yet another case of "don't listen to what the director says the film is about." the film also does necessitate making a leap of faith regarding what it is as an object etc.. after all, it IS a 3 hour movie about a grown up schlubby man committing to playing a circus clown.

(also at this point, rk had gone through famous and legendary heartbreak and rumored scandal and his public persona was understandably cagey. )

Blog |Twitter |MUBI

Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:02 pm

Ah, makes sense, thanks. I'll watch this soon. Pretty sure I have at least the "certain age" covered, haha.

I miss discussing movies with you. :(

Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:50 am

My heart is full of the pain of disco!

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image

Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:03 pm

omg!!!! cant believe this happened! am sure you picked up on it but film is suffused with affectionate callbacks and film references from her (and my) childhood.. and farah always has the sweetest end credit sequences :). cinema should be fun at least sometimes, no?

Blog |Twitter |MUBI

Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:38 am

charulata wrote:
am sure you picked up on it but film is suffused with affectionate callbacks and film references from her (and my) childhood..
I wish I knew enough to pick up on all of it, but it's suffused with nostalgia and movie-love, so I could hardly miss it! The story itself is perfectly suited for it, too. Mournful nostalgia has never been so fun. :)

And, yeah, loved the credits!

Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:21 am
Reply to topic   [ 833 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17