It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:44 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6917 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137 ... 139  Next
 The Crew - If you think you're part of it, then you are. 
Post Re: The Crew - If you think you're part of it, then you are.

Looka wrote:
since RT is rather shriveled

Welcome to 2007! :D

WCoF I II IIIL'EtàL'Eau한국88ShadowsBerlin thırd ISOLATIONVistaVision

Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:49 pm
Profile WWW

JediMoonShyne wrote:
Welcome to 2007! :D

Yeah, I know. I had been gone from the boards a while and a guy convinced me to come back, so I did. Meh.

Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:39 am

Looka wrote:

Yeah, I know. I had been gone from the boards a while and a guy convinced me to come back, so I did. Meh.

Agreed, meh. I've gone over and Lurked in the GD a couple times... haven't seen anything that original or funny like in the old days. It's all quantity over quality. Threads with purpose like THIS or with such dedication to detail as THIS would never exist over there anymore. It's all Rate threads and the like.

Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:19 pm
Profile WWW

The Remake Rematch thread is the only one on this forum to have been finished...twice. ;)

If you become rich and powerful, I hope that you will be cream rather than pond scum." --YTMN

YTMN's Remake Rematch Thread. Catalog Rounds 1-3
Thread abandoned 1 Aug 2017. Thread COMPLETE 25 May 14 (2d time!)
Images will disappear about 13 Feb 2018 forever.
I had fun. Thanks for reading!

The Future Unreels will also lose all its images on the same day. But just think about how many images Jedi has on Photobucket, and the other posters here.

Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:47 am

Gort wrote:
The Remake Rematch thread is the only one on this forum to have been finished...twice. ;)

:up: Very fitting

Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:49 am
Profile WWW

Merry Christmas! :)

Thu Dec 25, 2014 1:08 pm
Profile WWW

Mazel Tov to you guys too!...err I mean Merry Christmas too. :P

Thu Dec 25, 2014 1:14 pm
Profile YIM

Happy Holidays to everyone except YouTookMyName!

If you become rich and powerful, I hope that you will be cream rather than pond scum." --YTMN

The Future Unreels will also lose all its images on the same day. But just think about how many images Jedi has on Photobucket, and the other posters here.

Fri Dec 26, 2014 9:39 am

Happy Holidays to everyone except Gort!

The Future Unreels

Fri Dec 26, 2014 9:39 am

One of these years you two might start getting along.

Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:16 am
Profile WWW

I've really enjoyed watching the supplements for the Jacques Tati set that Criterion put out last year. So far I've seen Jour de Féte, and its supplements, and M. Hulot's Holiday and its supplements, and the supplements on the disc for Mon Oncle.

Hank, did you ever afford yourself the Hitchcock collection? Last time I checked the price it was at $145.00, I think, but I don't know how long it stayed there. Today it's $128.00. I see that it dropped to $99.00 sometime in early October 2014.

It's hard to afford the $128 when you have a collection of young-uns, though. Anyway, I'll bet those four are much more interesting to watch than any Hitchcock film, although the plot is looser. :)

Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:45 am

Where children are involved you always have to be ready for unexpected plot twists.

The Future Unreels

Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:46 am

It's been a while. I can see I've missed a lot from looking over the past page or so of this thread. How are you all doing? Enjoying the start of summer and summer blockbusters? I saw Avengers: Age of Ultron last night (enjoyed it), and think I'll probably go see Jurassic World when that comes out.

Tue May 26, 2015 3:59 am

Well, it took me three days to spot this. Trab might be gone. Are ya, girl?

I don't know when you dropped in last, did i have 3 part-time jobs and one or two self-employment gigs at that time?

It's really slowed me down on the only two threads I'm posting in.

What are you up to? I mean, apart from seeing some films?

And I'm waiting to see Fury Road when it comes out. Might like that one in 3D.

I can't even find our old thread at RT! None of my bookmarks work for that site, now. :x All lost, except the few things I saved as webarchives using Safari for Windows. Which is no longer supported.

The damn internet is too fracking ephemeral!

(I know, books can burn, etc. etc. 8-) )

Fri May 29, 2015 10:26 am

Not gone! I don't think you had all those things going on. I think it's been maybe three years since I last stopped in.

As far as what's going on with me . . . I am working for the government now and really like my job. It has its frustrations, but overall I enjoy it. I still live in the Washington D.C. area (in Virginia specifically). I have a cat. I still have a book review blog that I update about every other week on average.

It looks like did something to the URLs of the old threads, as I had bookmarked them a couple of years ago so that I could eventually copy their content into a Word document, out of concern for this ephemerality. But I checked those bookmarks based on what you said, and they aren't correct anymore. I assumed they were lost or deleted, but then I saw that the old threads had just been moved into a different forum structure. So I googled our thread name and found it!
http://forum.rottentomatoes.com/topic/show/815868?page=1

Sat May 30, 2015 8:41 pm

trab!!! YTMN!!
Haven't seen Avengers yet. Want to. I have little time to go out to the theaters BUT I did get one night to go out with my buddy. We saw Fury Road... pretty sure it might be my favorite Mad Max now. I should revisit the others though.

Glad to hear you enjoy your job trab. I know a lot of people who can't say the same. Last book I read was The Maze Runner. Do you mind sharing a link to your blog? I remember reading entries years ago, but have since lost the link.

Sun May 31, 2015 10:59 am
Profile WWW

Hank wrote:
trab!!! YTMN!!
Haven't seen Avengers yet. Want to. I have little time to go out to the theaters BUT I did get one night to go out with my buddy. We saw Fury Road... pretty sure it might be my favorite Mad Max now. I should revisit the others though.

Glad to hear you enjoy your job trab. I know a lot of people who can't say the same. Last book I read was The Maze Runner. Do you mind sharing a link to your blog? I remember reading entries years ago, but have since lost the link.

I'm hearing a lot of good things about Fury Road. I haven't seen the other Mad Max movies.

From looking over the most recent couple of pages in this thread, it sounds like you are/were foster parenting?
Also, it sounds like you've had some cool art exhibit / festival opportunities!

Here's the blog: https://agoodstoppingpoint.wordpress.com/

I don't watch movies much anymore, at least not like I did in the Rotten Tomatoes days. I'm more likely to be burning through a TV show than watching a movie. When the Oscars roll around, I make a few attempts to get "caught up" - so I did see Birdman, Boyhood and Gone Girl for those reasons. But otherwise, there are a number of big movies from the past few years that I never have got around to!

Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:06 am

*glances over at Netflix disc of Boyhood that arrived today*

Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:09 am

Gort wrote:

You'll have to report back what you think.

Over the weekend, I watched Stand By Me for the first time. In some ways, I felt like I had already seen it, or at least several parts of it, because certain scenes are iconic and have seeped into my consciousness through exposure to popular culture.

I liked a number of aspects, but overall I thought it was kind of heavy-handed in its emotional beats. Maybe I would have liked it if I had found it more relatable? But there wasn't much in the story that was similar to my own childhood, and I feel like that is its main appeal for viewers for whom it's a favorite.

It was cool seeing all of those actors at such a young age.

Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:29 am

The first time I saw Stand By Me was on HBO when it was new. It's the only Steven King print-to-film that I've ever liked in full. I turned to my wife when it was over and said, "That's the first film I've ever seen that totally captures what it's like to be a boy." It has one or two aspects that are the usual S. King over-the-topness that don't resonate well with me. I have found that men relate to the film more readily than women, but I haven't talked to all that many men and women about it over the years.

Looks perdy on Blu-ray. And, yes, it is interesting to see those four guys as kids, and then think of what people they became. 25% of them have already gone on to the afterward (if there is one). That's the most astonishing thing about it to me. They didn't all make it even to 25.

Didn't get to see Boyhood yet. My brother, nephew and mother set out to trade her 25 year old Cadillac on a modified Lexus 350. On the way the old car took out, and had to be towed to the dealer. They called me to come pick them up out in the boonies. We didn't make it to the dealership until 8:00pm, and it took the usual 90 minutes to get the deal done and get insurance fastened to the replacement car. Another 30 to get home, and I didn't have time to watch a 2:44 film!

Can't watch tonight, because I've got an ESL tech text-editing session starting at 7pm. So it will be Thursday night before I can watch.

Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:55 pm

Most likely there are women who resonate with Stand By Me, but I also thought that maybe I didn't relate to it as much because I was never a boy. I don't know if I can think of a film where I thought, "that totally captures what it's like to be a girl," though I did think that My Neighbor Totoro caught some of what it's like to be a kid. I'm more likely to see reflections of my own childhood in books.

Re: Cadillac - Sounds like quite the ordeal. My sister and her husband have had similar type stories as they move from one terrible car to the next. The most recent episode involved the car's brakes not responding, but fortunately my sister was on a side street at a slow speed and was able to pull off without harm to anyone or further harm to the car.

Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:21 am

Gort wrote:

*Glances over at a unwatched disc of Boyhood that has been sitting on the shelf*

Guess Gort and I have that in common. And trab and I have seeing Birdman in common.
I loved Birdman. It's the right amount of just about everything to me. Thought it was inventive, fun, thought provoking, intense, the acting was terrific... seriously loved it.

Can't contribute much of anything to a Stand by Me conversation because I haven't seen it in over 10 years.

Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:09 am
Profile WWW

traboule wrote:
Most likely there are women who resonate with Stand By Me, but I also thought that maybe I didn't relate to it as much because I was never a boy. I don't know if I can think of a film where I thought, "that totally captures what it's like to be a girl," though I did think that My Neighbor Totoro caught some of what it's like to be a kid. I'm more likely to see reflections of my own childhood in books.

I would very much like to find a book or a movie that a woman says encapsulates what it is like to grow up a girl. Just reading would allow me some insights. But I doubt that I would have the -- how to put it? -- merging with the story that a female would have.

I thought Totoro and Spirited Away might be such a cinematic vehicle, but they were made by dudes, so...probably not.

I have written female characters that pass muster with female listeners or readers by simply transposing the way I see things female as a male, onto male targets...but that can only work in sexual situations, it seems. To develop the different way of seeing self and the world that I detect (but cannot adequately describe) in my woman friends would take some work. I'm not sure any author could give that to me.

But it would be most interesting to try it out! See, I think I have a deficit of sorts brought on by not having any sisters, and never having daughters. I could have gotten a feel for that human experience that females have, that is unique to those with two X chromosomes, by observing a daughter grow up, or from being around a sister. I think. I'll bet Hank knows a lot more about how girls are than I do simply because he is lucky enough to have a daughter! (Jedi, too.)

I don't regret a moment of being father to two boys, but I didn't learn anything new about maleness from them. In fact, whatever my experience and implementation of being male is probably influenced them, so that it became a feedback loop of sorts. I don't think that loop would have happened as easily with a girl child. I would have had to struggle to adapt my way of seeing the world to accommodating the different way in which she saw it. And it would have in some way enlarged me, too. I guess. Maybe Hank will tell me that it isn't all that different.

Any suggestions? I've been reading a lot lately (always happens when I start writing...)

Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:20 am

Hank wrote:
*Glances over at a unwatched disc of Boyhood that has been sitting on the shelf*

Guess Gort and I have that in common. And trab and I have seeing Birdman in common.
I loved Birdman. It's the right amount of just about everything to me. Thought it was inventive, fun, thought provoking, intense, the acting was terrific... seriously loved it.

Can't contribute much of anything to a Stand by Me conversation because I haven't seen it in over 10 years.

I watched Boyhood on Thursday afternoon. I liked it, but it wasn't as gripping as I had told myself that it would be. It was a character study and a philosophical treatise (which is one of the things I really like about many Linklater films) and the use of the same young actors and actreses as they grew up provided something that wasn't as obvious as I had expected.

When you finally see it, tell me if you also get the sense that if the earlier parts of the film didn't exist so that you could skip back to them and compare 7-year old Ellar and Lorelei to their 15 year old versions, you really wouldn't have any memory of how they had changed. That's why we take photos of our kids. So that later, when we remember them only as the teenagers they have become, we can drag out the pix and recall the days when they were lap apes, wanting to be as physically close to us as possible, instead of trying to put as many rooms between them and us as they can!

To me that's the most amazing thing about the film. Just as with my own sons, as the actors aged I remembered them mostly as they were recently, and presently, and not so much as the kiddies they were at the start of the film. College-age Mason seemed like he had always been that way in some sense. I wonder if that's just me, or if it's the real magic of Linklater's experiment.

And think what a wonderful document of Lorelei Linklater's growth this film is for her parents! Oh, and of course it has the same function for Ellar Coltrane's parents as well.

As for Stand By Me, I got the strong sense that it encapsulated the experience of being a boy so precisely, only on first viewing. There is a little sense of it when I watch now (I've seen it 2.25 times in my life) but it isn't so amazing, because I didn't expect it on first viewing, and I do, now.

So, your recollection of how it made you feel, and whether you got the same sense of identification on your fist viewing will still be valid.

Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:31 am

I thought I would be much more in love with Boyhood than I was. I was impressed by it, especially in just the novelty of watching the young actors grow up before your eyes. I think the most striking emotional moment is that scene where
the mom suddenly takes her two kids out of the house with the abusive stepfather, and you see just this quick shot of Mason looking up at his two step-siblings and they are looking on in shock and just like that - these siblings are separated. I guess I was really touched by how the step-siblings had bonded with each other, and stuck up for each other.

I . . . wasn't a huge fan of Birdman. The cinematography was great, the acting was superb but I couldn't give a damn about the story.

Of the Oscar nominees, my heart was with The Grand Budapest Hotel though it had of course no chance of winning. I loved the nesting structure of the story and Wes Anderson's aesthetic really worked for me with that film. The film is of course very -darkly - funny but actually the last scene had this kind of crystalline poignancy that brought tears to my eyes.

Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:41 am

Gort, have you read A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith? It may not be exactly "this encapsulates girlhood" for me but it is one of the best coming-of-age books I've read where the main character is a girl.

It was published in the 1950's I think, and before I read it, I had this mistaken assumption that it was a sentimental book, but it's actually really clear-eyed about everything.

Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:46 am

traboule wrote:
Gort, have you read A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith? It may not be exactly "this encapsulates girlhood" for me but it is one of the best coming-of-age books I've read where the main character is a girl.

It was published in the 1950's I think, and before I read it, I had this mistaken assumption that it was a sentimental book, but it's actually really clear-eyed about everything.

I have heard of A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, and it might have been on a HS reading list. But I didn't read anything on those lists unless it was by accident.

I'll have to get a copy. Thanks.

Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:17 pm

UPDATE!: got the Kindle version of A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. It is due to be my next book to read.

Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:40 am

traboule wrote:
I thought I would be much more in love with Boyhood than I was. I was impressed by it, especially in just the novelty of watching the young actors grow up before your eyes. I think the most striking emotional moment is that scene where
the mom suddenly takes her two kids out of the house with the abusive stepfather, and you see just this quick shot of Mason looking up at his two step-siblings and they are looking on in shock and just like that - these siblings are separated. I guess I was really touched by how the step-siblings had bonded with each other, and stuck up for each other.

I . . . wasn't a huge fan of Birdman. The cinematography was great, the acting was superb but I couldn't give a damn about the story.

Of the Oscar nominees, my heart was with The Grand Budapest Hotel though it had of course no chance of winning. I loved the nesting structure of the story and Wes Anderson's aesthetic really worked for me with that film. The film is of course very -darkly - funny but actually the last scene had this kind of crystalline poignancy that brought tears to my eyes.

The Grand Budapest Hotel is great. Wes as hit the nail on the head with his last few IMO... Time will tell but I think this one might be my favorite of his. Ever. I have never truly disliked any of his... but Hotel was so good. I'm just not sure that he will win a best picture. Not that he shouldn't... he should. I'm just not sure he ever will.

Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:52 pm
Profile WWW

I ordered the Blu of Grand Budapest Hotel. I haven't watched the disc yet, but I bought that on the basis of enjoying the Netflix stream so much. I just love the way Anderson always has so much going on at once, yet you can keep track of it all.

Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:57 am

Gort wrote:
I ordered the Blu of Grand Budapest Hotel. I haven't watched the disc yet, but I bought that on the basis of enjoying the Netflix stream so much. I just love the way Anderson always has so much going on at once, yet you can keep track of it all.

Absolutely. He's at the top of his game with this one too. I haven't bought it yet, but will. I'm sure it will look gorgeous on Blu.

In other news and happenings, thanks Gort for always saying things that were encouraging. I honestly never dreamed of showing in New York... but you have over the years said that you expected such things out of me. Thanks for seeing that in me. Click :)

Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:51 pm
Profile WWW

This is so cool. Couldn't be prouder of you if you were my real son. Honest. :heart:

Way to go, Nathanael. And the thing I like best is that the pieces are affordable enough that they might just sell out quickly, but they're too expensive for my budget, which means, not cheap. *applauds*

Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:48 am

Gort wrote:
This is so cool. Couldn't be prouder of you if you were my real son. Honest. :heart:

Way to go, Nathanael. And the thing I like best is that the pieces are affordable enough that they might just sell out quickly, but they're too expensive for my budget, which means, not cheap. *applauds*

Thank you, that means a lot to me. :heart:

I had nothing to do with the prices... that has been something that has baffled me. The gallery director set those and it's been great so I know a kind of baseline for pricing my other works.

And hey... you have two of my early originals ;)

Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:19 am
Profile WWW

Yes, I do. And I've framed one of them. And it looks really good on my wall.

And you'll be getting maybe 4x those prices in NYC and other places in a few years.

I know some guys in Little Rock who sell by the square inch, and they're very successful, but they don't get as much per square inch as your gallery guy is asking! I say he knows his stuff. So trust him.

You'll be surprised by it all; And a little wowed, but you're too grounded in being a real person to let it turn you into anything bad. Your kids at school and at home will keep you real. ;) And also Mrs. Hank.

You know, I got an excellent deal on my movie review drawing!

Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:39 am

Gort wrote:
Yes, I do. And I've framed one of them. And it looks really good on my wall.

And you'll be getting maybe 4x those prices in NYC and other places in a few years.

I know some guys in Little Rock who sell by the square inch, and they're very successful, but they don't get as much per square inch as your gallery guy is asking! I say he knows his stuff. So trust him.

You'll be surprised by it all; And a little wowed, but you're too grounded in being a real person to let it turn you into anything bad. Your kids at school and at home will keep you real. ;) And also Mrs. Hank.

You know, I got an excellent deal on my movie review drawing!

Just prior to the gallery setting my prices, I settled down to pricing my things out by the square inch as well. It makes sense in a lot of ways. Sometimes I can spend 5 hours on a little 8x8 painting and other times 2 hours on a 20x20... pricing things out based on the hours worked like in other jobs seems silly. No consumer would pay $200 for an 8x8 when hanging next to it is a 20x20 for $80.

I just received an email asking me if they could include two more of my pieces in the show. It is starting to feel real now because of all the paperwork. But it is still this foreign feeling to me as well.

Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:12 pm
Profile WWW

May you have income tax worries, sir! :D

I don't know if the feeling of seeing your art works in a gallery in NYC is completely different from, or similar to watching a dozen people put on a play you wrote in front of three different live audiences. It must be different, because your imagined art becomes artwork on canvas or paper, while my play became what the living people made of it when they translated my words on paper into spoken language and movements. Your imagination was transformed by the materials, which were mostly under your control. But the players made the play into something different from what I had imagined it might be.

Ah, I think I have figured out the difference: you made the artworks what they are. Other people made the play what it was. Yeah, that's it.

So, I guess your show still seems like something you created, while the play performances were just like watching someone else's play. As if I never had a thing to do with it, sort of.

I don't know if any of this makes sense. It stems from me trying to imagine what part of the experience might seem foreign and like a fantasy for you at this point.

/goofy rambling thoughts

Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:14 am

Gort wrote:
May you have income tax worries, sir! :D

I don't know if the feeling of seeing your art works in a gallery in NYC is completely different from, or similar to watching a dozen people put on a play you wrote in front of three different live audiences. It must be different, because your imagined art becomes artwork on canvas or paper, while my play became what the living people made of it when they translated my words on paper into spoken language and movements. Your imagination was transformed by the materials, which were mostly under your control. But the players made the play into something different from what I had imagined it might be.

Ah, I think I have figured out the difference: you made the artworks what they are. Other people made the play what it was. Yeah, that's it.

So, I guess your show still seems like something you created, while the play performances were just like watching someone else's play. As if I never had a thing to do with it, sort of.

I don't know if any of this makes sense. It stems from me trying to imagine what part of the experience might seem foreign and like a fantasy for you at this point.

/goofy rambling thoughts

From having my work in a gallery more locally, I think that I can say that it is more similar to the play situation maybe than what you concluded. At an art festival I control everything about how my work is presented from start to finish and then I am standing in my booth talking to people and answering any questions. When my local galleries have shown my work there is a slight feeling of disconnect. And then people are looking at my work and talking about it next to me and don't realize that I'm the artist. I feel more like a stranger and that I'm intruding on their conversations. So, in that way, my work is unfolding before me without my control.... the gallery chooses how they want to represent me: they request edits to my artist statement, they display the work differently, they choose how to present information regarding each work. It's certainly different to see my work in a gallery versus an art festival. I suspect my experience in NYC with be dwarfing and I will feel like a fish out of water... since I've felt slight feelings of that at local galleries.
I think it currently seems to be foreign to me because when when I imagined my future I never even had thoughts of showing in NYC. It was something that I didn't pursue at all... I worked really hard at being who I am, certainly... and I worked really hard at creating art that I enjoy. But this gallery emailed me. They saw something in me, like I remember you pointing out previously during our years of posting. It's kind of like winning the lottery without buying the ticket maybe. Don't know... that has never happened to me.

I'm sure my thoughts were more rambles than yours

Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:21 pm
Profile WWW

Hank wrote:
It's kind of like winning the lottery without buying the ticket maybe.

That's a cool way to express it. :heart:

Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:44 am

Well, I was going to work on a couple more Batman posts yesterday (Friday) but I spent the day acquiring new wheeels. Vroom!
It was time to let go of the 23-year old Lincoln Town Car.

This is its 5-year old replacement. A 2010 Chrysler Sebring Touring Sedan, with 67,000 miles on it.

I hope it lasts a good long while.

Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:51 am

Nice. So Hank since we knew you before you sold out does that mean we get private commisions? :P

Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:09 pm
Profile YIM

Lookin sharp there, Gort! I wish my wife would hold onto a car as long as you! Seems like she wants a new one every 3 years.

And Ace... Absolutely! I don't forget where I've come from :)

... also you didn't say they would be free private commissions... :P

Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:32 pm
Profile WWW

Hank wrote:
Lookin sharp there, Gort! I wish my wife would hold onto a car as long as you! Seems like she wants a new one every 3 years.
Thanks. The cleanness of this car inside and out was known to me before I drove to the dealership. Shopping for cars on the internet is a really interesting experience. I don't know whether this will be my only time to do so. I can't imagine this machine lasting until 2033! But I don't know whether I will, either.

The Lincoln was 9 years and 9 months old when I bought it from my parents. I had it almost 14 years. The runner-up to that is its predecessor, a 1990 Plymouth Voyager minivan, which I kept from 1990 until 2001 when I bought the Town Car.

When Mrs. Hank gets a new car, do you take the 3-year old one?

Hank wrote:
And Ace... Absolutely! I don't forget where I've come from :)

... also you didn't say they would be free private commissions... :P
Good point. With enough cash we could possibly persuade you to do our bidding. :D

Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:32 pm

Gort wrote:
When Mrs. Hank gets a new car, do you take the 3-year old one?

Nope... I had my Jetta for 10 years prior to getting a new car a couple of months ago due to a mechanical issue that wasn't worth fixing. I had mine paid off for years now...so I didn't really like the idea of having multiple car payments and I liked my car better than what she would get anyway.

Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:35 am
Profile WWW

Hank wrote:
Nope... I had my Jetta for 10 years prior to getting a new car a couple of months ago due to a mechanical issue that wasn't worth fixing. I had mine paid off for years now...so I didn't really like the idea of having multiple car payments and I liked my car better than what she would get anyway.

Is the new one a Jetta?

Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:53 am

Gort wrote:
Is the new one a Jetta?

Short answer: It isn't.

Long answer: I wanted another one (I've only had 2 cars, both Jettas. My first took me to just over 250,000 miles and I only upgraded because I could. My second was a great car as well which never had any issues... until the end that is) but with the current payments on our Ford Flex (our family car that seats 7), I didn't feel comfortable with the payments on any Jetta that I was interested in. I know very little about fixing cars, so I like to get something with a warranty. My wife got a new job last year that requires a lot more driving and I decided we needed to shop for MPG in our price range. So, in this case I pretty much took over the Flex, but we have spent the last couple of months sharing our cars more than ever. My daughter refers to our new car as "Daddy's car" , so I guess that says something. Anyway, it's a Fiat 500 sport. It was very affordable for a certified pre-owned and we've averaged 38.3 mpg so far... which comes in handy when my wife is driving an hour to an appointment. On the long trips it gets mid-40s. It's a little thing, but pretty fun to drive.

Random answer: ao;iwehgtp928q4yhg;qs##><__

Medium question: Were there any particular selling points for your purchase?

Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:49 pm
Profile WWW

Hank wrote:
Short answer: It isn't.

Long answer: I wanted another one (I've only had 2 cars, both Jettas. My first took me to just over 250,000 miles and I only upgraded because I could. My second was a great car as well which never had any issues... until the end that is) but with the current payments on our Ford Flex (our family car that seats 7), I didn't feel comfortable with the payments on any Jetta that I was interested in. I know very little about fixing cars, so I like to get something with a warranty. My wife got a new job last year that requires a lot more driving and I decided we needed to shop for MPG in our price range. So, in this case I pretty much took over the Flex, but we have spent the last couple of months sharing our cars more than ever. My daughter refers to our new car as "Daddy's car" , so I guess that says something. Anyway, it's a Fiat 500 sport. It was very affordable for a certified pre-owned and we've averaged 38.3 mpg so far... which comes in handy when my wife is driving an hour to an appointment. On the long trips it gets mid-40s. It's a little thing, but pretty fun to drive.

Random answer: ao;iwehgtp928q4yhg;qs##><__

Medium question: Were there any particular selling points for your purchase?

Clever.

My other two choices at the dealer where we went were 2012 and 2013 used Fiat 500s. But by the time we got there, both were sequestered with potential buyers, and I bought the Sebring! I've never even touched a Fiat 500, but I liked the first one I ever saw (in the 1960s) and I was thrilled to see that they were being imported to the US again a few years ago. But I couldn't afford a new one.

I suppose with a 4-seater and a 7-seater and all those bottoms to find places for, you would have to share cars. :D

I wanted something I could pay cash for, since I thought I would have no credit. I was willing to "build" more credit if I could borrow part of the purchase price, but I expected to make a down payment that would amount to 93% of the price of the car I bought. As it turned out you have to borrow at least $5,000.

The Fiats were unavailable.

So, I drove this one first. Very clean. Everything works. Only 5 years old. Silver in color, so cooler when sitting in the sun. No scratches, or tears or stains. And I had a Plymouth Voyager that lasted 12 years with few mechanical troubles, despite being stolen and wrecked when it was 2 years old. I figured another Chrysler product couldn't be a totally stupid choice.

I like driving again, after years of it being a drudge. A sweaty drudge in the summer time for the last 3 years.

Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:43 am

Hank, your skies in your acrylics are my favorite thing, especially in Welkin. The pen on paper pieces, especially Lilt I, are incredible. Congratulations on your talent and hard work being recognized by this gallery! And yay for Gort's role in encouragement.

I'm thinking about getting a new-to-me car in the next year or so. I've had my Toyota Corolla for about seven years, and though it has been a solid car generally, there's been a couple of costly repairs that are starting to tip the scales towards not being worth it. It's the only car I've ever owned. I'm not sure what I want to get next, what would be best. I have to do some research.

Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:07 am

I thought free was implied. :P

Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:46 am
Profile YIM

traboule wrote:
I'm thinking about getting a new-to-me car in the next year or so. I've had my Toyota Corolla for about seven years, and though it has been a solid car generally, there's been a couple of costly repairs that are starting to tip the scales towards not being worth it. It's the only car I've ever owned. I'm not sure what I want to get next, what would be best. I have to do some research.

Finding automobiles on the internet is a good development. Dealers post photos (usually over a dozen, sometimes as many as 40 or more) of used cars so that you can look at them. And if they are honest with their photos, you can see marks and so forth. Of course you don't know about mechanics until you test drive them.

I bought mine by price first, of course. You may be able to find a nearly new car for a reasonable price, in good shape. Also, certain brands (Toyota among them) hold their value very well, so a used one is closer in price to the new models than other brands might be. Overall, there is a bewildering array of new car choices, and when you add used cars to them, for me it was just a matter of looking at pictures and hoping the ones I would like to see in the metal hadn't already been sold.

Ultimately, I test drove two cars, and then couldn't decide between them easily. I sort of painted myself into a corner that way! Unfortunately, for me "If they are equal, then just pick one or the other" was a point of endless looping. By the time I drove them, the field of hundreds had been narrowed down to these two. Their close equivalence for me was unexpected and frustrating.

The Future Unreels

Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:32 pm

Ace wrote:
I thought free was implied. :P

You've seen the old film/video production pricing model haven't you?

"You can have good or fast or cheap. Pick any two."

The Future Unreels

Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:33 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6917 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137 ... 139  Next