It is currently Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:44 am

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ] 
 YTMN presents: Remake Rematch Thread Part Two 
 YTMN presents: Remake Rematch Thread Part Two

Here is the newly-minted Comprehensive Catalog that includes all four Rounds. The films are in alphabetical order below. The buttons link to the initial post for each Rematch. Green on the button signifies a Not-Quite a Remake Rematch. When you follow certain of these links you will see missing image markers. I've seen dozens while posting this, and I can't say that I will have the time or energy to remedy them. But from here you can get into all the Rematches whether complete or not. I left the row numbers because it may help you navigate. There are ten rows of four icons.
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Shieldmaiden had the final say in the original Remake Rematch thread, so I started this new thread to continue the idea. Also, she told me in the Crew thread about Photobucket's "new management" and the "reduced" pricing that they are now offering.

Photobucket has reduced pricing on the hot-link capable 20 GB plan that I used to pay about $35.00 a year for. It's now $70.00 if you pay a year at a time. I'll sign up for that kind of account soon.

I'm still feeling as if we've been "New Coke'd" in some way. But $70 is quite a bit more affordable than $400 a year.

So, I'll be working on porting some things over here. Only time will tell whether I develop the energy to move all of Round Four to this thread (don't count on it), but I will update the alphabetic finder post here, and adjust it as the final Rematches get finished.

It was already my decision that any future Rematches will all appear at once, and no one but me will know when one is coming along. That's when Round Five begins.

I'll work the remainder of Round Four (39 posts as of 1 August 2017 when I abandoned the project last year) at irregular times and in irregular ways. I no longer have the desire to "just get it all over with." That might improve or might diminish the quality of the rest of the Round!

Thanks to everyone who has been reading over the years. Thanks especially to those who continued to read during the hiatus, and pushed the total page views beyond 2 million even when I wasn't doing a blinking thing in the thread.

I still don't understand all the interest, but again, thanks for reading.

"The wealthy and powerful always remind us that cream rises to the top.
What they fail to acknowledge is that pond scum also rises to the top.
And there is a lot more pond scum in the world than there is cream.
If you become rich and powerful, I hope that you will be cream rather than pond scum." --YTMN

Rematch Resurrection Catalog for Rounds 1-4 New post 180721 -- YTMN's Remake Rematch Thread.
Thread Resurrected 21 Jul 2018. Thread abandoned 1 Aug 2017. Thread COMPLETE 25 May 14 (2d time!)

The Future Unreels

Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:18 pm
Post Re: YTMN presents: Remake Rematch Resurrection

I approve of this development.

Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:58 am

YouTookMyName wrote:
I'm still feeling as if we've been "New Coke'd" in some way.
Haha, yes.

And I'm glad you're picking it back up. :)

Voyage | Female Gaze | MACBETH | Sokurov | Fassbinder | Greenaway | Denis | Sono | my bookshelf

Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:53 am

oh, hey hey.... what's this?? Looking forward to the possibilities here

Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:35 am
Profile WWW

Neat.

Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:17 pm
Profile YIM

Well, he's taking his sweet time picking it up again. The dolt hasn't even renewed his paid subscription at PhotoBucket, yet.

If you become rich and powerful, I hope that you will be cream rather than pond scum." --YTMN

Rematch Resurrection Catalog for Rounds 1-4 New post 180721 -- YTMN's Remake Rematch Thread.
Thread Resurrected 21 Jul 2018. Thread abandoned 1 Aug 2017. Thread COMPLETE 25 May 14 (2d time!)

The Future Unreels

Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:15 am

I'd have done it already if you'd let me use the VISA.

The Future Unreels

Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:17 am

Having multiple personalities would be a hell of a lot more fun if we didn't know about one another.

The Future Unreels

Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:17 am

Having real multiple personalities might not be fun at all.

The Future Unreels

Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:18 am

Oh, well, I'm really looking forward to this getting cranked up. I'll do all the work, and YTMN will take the credit.

Just because he existed first in that guy's imagination, and at RT. Idiot couldn't type Gort, though. Somehow typed Gorb, and the name was already taken.

Or that's how the legend goes.

But, by gum I was first over here! I was a Corrie before YTMN was!!

The Future Unreels

Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:21 am

Gort wrote:
that guy's
OK, now I'm confused!

Voyage | Female Gaze | MACBETH | Sokurov | Fassbinder | Greenaway | Denis | Sono | my bookshelf

Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:41 pm

Gort wrote:
that guy's
Shieldmaiden wrote:
OK, now I'm confused!

"That guy" is me, the man writing all this dreck as either YTMN or Gort.

Less confused, now? (I hope).

The Future Unreels

Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:55 am

The rest of Round Four probably won't be your favorite part. My Excel tracking spreadsheet tells me that there are 39 posts that I didn't get put up before I abandoned the other thread. But many of them are technical information posts. They are intensive on the creation side, but may not be fulfilling to most readers. By Rematch:

BIC (Bicycle Thieves, Beijing Bicycle) has 4 tech posts remaining before completion
BRH (Battle Royale, The Hunger Games) has 6 tech posts remaining before it's done
BRN (Tom Brown's School Days) has 2 reviews, of the 1971 and 2005 versions and it will be finished
DRB (The Devil's Backbone, Dorm) has 6 tech posts remaining before it gets finished
HEL (The Mayor of Hell, Crime School, Hell's Kitchen) has 2 reviews, 2 essays, and 5 tech posts left to do
PAI (Pinocchio 1996, A.I. Artificial Intelligence) has 1 review and 5 tech posts before completion
SKN (Victim, The Skin I Live In) has 6 tech posts to create and then it will be done

Now, because I was getting very tired of the mechanics of this huge undertaking, there were essays that I canceled in nearly all these Rematches. Those may be resurrected along with the thread. We'll see.

Cheers!

The Future Unreels

Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:18 am

Dadgummit!

Here I was blowing my punkin stem before I had all the information.

Ladies and gents, the page where you enter your credit card information at PhotoBucket does not show as secure in any of my four browsers!! That means that if I enter that information I might just have the third breach of my credit card info on the same account that I've used online before.

And that means that I won't yet be resurrecting any Rematch thread. If the Photobucket page where you disclose your payment information continues to show as an insecure connection, then Remake Rematch will still remain dead, no matter what I posted before.

:(

The Future Unreels

Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:04 am

Oh no! :(

It looks like there's no way short of making an actual new account for me to check if it works for me. I know I used paypal at the time, though. Maybe that was the reason? I don't remember. Has no one else here signed up for a new pb plan?

Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:47 am

I sent them a message asking when their payment information page would be secure.

They'll eventually answer. Sometimes it has taken a week, sometimes they have replied overnight, in the past.

I have a PayPal account*, so I could potentially transfer money to the attached checking account, then to PayPal and then pay it that way. Shouldn't take more than a week to get that all accomplished if I do it that way. :D

Or I could simply delete this new thread and go back to what had become the status quo. ;)

After all, PhotoBucket has one of the most irritating websites I've ever tried to use. You have to literally hunt for a place where you can send them a contact message to ask a question or tell them something. It's ridiculous!

We'll see what happens over the next few days.

*I got the PayPal account because back in 2014 Turkish people could still pay using PayPal. For about 18 months my ESL tutoring students paid me that way. But in 2016 the Turkish government told all banks and money transfer companies that there had to be a server on site in Turkey that the government could audit. PayPal responded: not in our case. You don't need PayPal anymore. And so they pulled out of Turkey. I haven't used the account for anything since then, although I first paid for PhotoBucket using PayPal. Then PB stopped taking PayPal for a while.

The Future Unreels

Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:00 am

Shieldmaiden wrote:
I used paypal at the time, though.

I just took the risk that PayPal would somehow be secure even on that insecure connection (stupid me) and used PayPal with the linked credit card to pay. Now I'm in. Oh, joy.

The Future Unreels

Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:18 am

My big question is whether the broken links will re-establish themselves the way they were pre-extortion.

I won't hold my breath. (Don't care for passing out, you know.)

EDIT:

Aaaaand...clearing the browser cache doesn't cause the broken links to correct and let the images show up. Re-pasting the link information from the PhotoBucket website doesn't change a damn thing. (It's the same link, you see.) I'll have to find the original images, upload them again and try pasting in the new location. And that should work...except...

Fuck it.

As the new title of the thread says: The Dead Should Remain Dead.

I should have figured this out.

The Future Unreels

Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:20 am
Post Re: YTMN presents: Frankenstein Should Have Been Left Dead

ShieldMaiden:

Don't get worried. None of this is your fault. You merely encouraged me based on your fine experience with resurrecting your Photobucket account.

I'm the one who got all hopeful against my better judgment and spent the money to try to resurrect this one.

I'll be fine.

The Rematches won't, though. I figure. Unless something changes overnight.

The Future Unreels

Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:51 am

YouTookMyName wrote:
Fuck it.

As the new title of the thread says: The Dead Should Remain Dead.

I should have figured this out.

Temper tantrum, much?

I'd have thought that at my age I'd be grown up, and at least a bit more mature.

The Future Unreels

Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:57 am

YouTookMyName wrote:
My big question is whether the broken links will re-establish themselves the way they were pre-extortion.
I'm confused. I can see all your images (and have been able to ever since the reprieve went into effect in May).

I'm sorry this has been such a bad experience. :(

Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:17 pm

Shieldmaiden, (and others) please try this out for me.

Below is the first row of 10 rows of link buttons. Only two of the buttons below go to the actual IP, because apparently I copied the links wrong for two of them. 3:10 and Bicycle Thieves seem to work correctly. 3:10 to Yuma is on page 14 of the thread. Its images all load. But I cannot see the images for all the tech post buttons in the BIC initial post. I see only Find-It, Photography, Editor and Music buttons. For the other four buttons in the BIC initial post I see the word "image" where the image doesn't load (with Firefox) and broken image link icons (with Safari). I'll test with Edge, Comodo Dragon and Chrome eventually.

In fact, I don't see all the images loaded in sixof the IPs on the page with the BIC initial post. The TNS and TZN images all seem to load. Scroll up and down and look at them. I put eight of them all up in a row when I started Round Four. What do you see in those posts? Do all the images load for you in the top six?

I've remade all 40 buttons for the new Comprehensive Catalog post, but only completed this row (by eliminating line breaks and so forth) so that it will run. All the new button images will load from PhotoBucket. Apparently my links to IP posts are not recorded correctly, as I wrote above.

These images are newly created for a new Comprehensive Catalog Post to go in the first post of this thread. But from where I sit it looks like I would have to go ferret out and replace hundreds of links to images. Ain't gonna happen. But if it's something else, since you've seen all the images all along, then I'll have to figure out what to do so I can see things properly. Blowing the browser caches didn't work for me. At least not yet. I must know that all the pix are going to load before I follow links and rebuild the list of correct URLs for what I want to link to.

I'll log out as YTMN in Firefox and go try this in Comodo Dragon to see what happens. Right now it's bleak from where I sit, you're right!

As for a bad experience, a lot of that is my fault. I'm trying to use BBphp for something that it probably wasn't designed to do. An analogy: If most people would collect a bag of rubber bands, I'd be the guy who would collect a million of them and make a huge rubber-band sphere that could not be stored anywhere. (Not that I've done that in real life, and I sort of snicker at those who do, but that analogy holds as a good example of what I've done with this ridiculously huge interlinked thread built in a bulletin-board.)

The Future Unreels

Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:37 am

This is what I see (HD image screenshot behind spoiler tags pops to fit the window in Firefox in Windows 10, on my machine) even in Comodo Dragon, which has never been steered to the Corrie since re-installation a week ago. This is how the BIC initial post looks in all five of my browsers on this Windows machine, and on my MacBookPro in Safari. And I've got dozens, maybe a hundred or more of these broken links all through Round Four's posts!

The Future Unreels

Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:53 am

I see the same thing you have in your screenshot. :/

Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:54 am
Profile WWW

Hank wrote:
I see the same thing you have in your screenshot. :/

Thanks for checking. The news is a bit disheartening, though.

I found that if I click on the broken image link in Comodo Dragon, the browser tries to navigate to the image file on PhotoBucket. But in each case it displays a page saying that the page can't be found. That's why they aren't showing up; they've somehow been lost. Yet, originally, every single link worked. And I have webarchives of each Rematch thread page where all the links are perfect. Perfect! So how and when did they break?

The Future Unreels

Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:41 am

I see images!

Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:41 pm

Quite-Gone Genie wrote:
I see images!

And none of the links are broken?

Even some of the buttons I put up just yesterday are broken in my Firefox browser, now. And the same links are broken in the Comodo Dragon browser, which can nonetheless reach the PB originals on that website in an adjacent tab. Just not from the Corrie tab.
It must be my browser, or my OS or something.

I'll use this post to track my attempts at diagnosis. Also my streams of invective if nothing works at that piece of crap webhosting site.

EDIT 01: Cleared the Firefox cache. That's what PhotoBucket recommends. Restarted Firefox. Logged in again. The same five brand new links that wouldn't load a few minutes ago in the IP for this thread won't load now, either.

EDIT 02: Restarted OS after hard shutdown, and after blowing the entire cache and other information for Firefox. Same thing seen upon re-entry to this thread, whether logged in or not.

In all my browsers these images now do not load from the IP which functioned correctly just a few hours ago: Row 02-02, Row 03-02, Row 06-03 and 06-04, Row 10-04.

I can see these images at Photobucket, of course. I turned off filename scrambling for new uploads at PB (had no idea it was turned on, so I don't know when it was turned on--BY PHOTOBUCKET!), had no idea it existed, and have no idea if that's the problem or part of it. But its not, not if any of you see those images I just listed from this very thread. Not if any of you see all the images and no broken links.

Unless, your browsers still have all the images cached that were in there and functioning when you went to the site last time, while everything was still hunky-dory in 2017. If you haven't cleared your browser cache since then, you could be seeing images that links no longer work for. Your browser would find the images in the cache and not have to go to PB to fetch them. I regularly clear out my history and cache and so forth on all my browsers. That may be why I'm seeing the broken links. The broken links might be due to the filename scrambling. But not necessarily.

BUT! there are images that load in one post, and are showing broken links in other posts. The same images. I hate this.

Firefox cannot even follow links to the non-displayed images. But to any that I see in the browser window the link to the original image is followed instantly. Yet, the images that are not loading are still accessible to me at PB.

EDIT 3: I traced the broken link for image 10-04 in Comodo Dragon, which will actually show me a page with the attempted URL for the image, rather than a blank page like Firefox does. I compared the full URL and noticed that the "~original" in the link for the picture didn't appear on the Photobucket page for the original image. That told me that it must not be necessary for the link to work. I eliminated "~original" on one of the failed links in this thread's IP, and when I attempted to submit there were now only four broken links. So I went through the rest of them, eliminating "~original" from the filename, but only for those five broken links. The rest of the filenames have the "~original" that PB appended to the URL when I copied it out of their website! For anyone who doesn't understand but wants to, another screenshot is behind the spoiler tags. And "2018-07-19%202R.png~original" is in both HTML and image tagged links offered by PB for the screenshot that's in place.
So, the presence of "~original" in the filename causing a failure of the Corrie to link to the image is bizarre.

EDIT: I removed ~original from the filenames of the images behind the spoiler tags after learning that it did seem to be the cause of the random "outages."

The Future Unreels

Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:50 pm

YouTookMyName wrote:
EDIT 3: I traced the broken link for image 10-04 in Comodo Dragon, which will actually show me a page with the attempted URL for the image, rather than a blank page like Firefox does. I compared the full URL and noticed that the "~original" in the link for the picture didn't appear on the Photobucket page for the original image. That told me that it must not be necessary for the link to work. I eliminated "~original" on one of the failed links in this thread's IP, and when I attempted to submit there were now only four broken links. So I went through the rest of them, eliminating "~original" from the filename, but only for those five broken links. The rest of the filenames have the "~original" that PB appended to the URL when I copied it out of their website! For anyone who doesn't understand but wants to, another screenshot is behind the spoiler tags. And "2018-07-19%202R.png~original" is in both HTML and image tagged links offered by PB for the screenshot that's in place.
Interesting! But after clearing my cache, there are still four images in your original post above (with the 40 buttons) that don't show up for me. But plenty of the ones that do end with "~original." (I didn't check all of them.) Sorry if I'm just being stupid.

Edit: Ah, read it again, and you said that. This is such a weird issue!

I'm also sorry that I misled you earlier. I had not done nearly enough exploration/drilling down to catch the fact that some of the images weren't showing up.

Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:40 pm

Shieldmaiden wrote:
Interesting! But after clearing my cache, there are still four images in your original post above (with the 40 buttons) that don't show up for me. But plenty of the ones that do end with "~original." (I didn't check all of them.) Sorry if I'm just being stupid.

Edit: Ah, read it again, and you said that. This is such a weird issue!

I'm also sorry that I misled you earlier. I had not done nearly enough exploration/drilling down to catch the fact that some of the images weren't showing up.

But you're helping me out, now. And that still counts. Also, I now have issues with three different images that don't load, although the ones I whittled down this morning are still there. I guess I'll have to get rid of "~original" on all those above.

EDIT: Which I did at 9:14pm my time, and they all display now. Let's see how they hold up overnight!

Wow, I hope this doesn't eventually extend to every image I uploaded and linked for Round Four. (shudders)

The Future Unreels

Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:47 am

After discovering the "~original" error, I went to a few of the Round Four posts and removed that tag from the end of all the images in the post. This cleared up the failure to load problem. This may have been the cause of the random failure to load errors I saw in early 2016, as well. There would be a lot of work to eliminate all those in the Round Four posts. I might just watch for errors and remove them if that happens within a post.

And if I don't see any, let it slide.

I guess I could appoint you three or four loyal readers :heart: who do post, as deputies to let me know if you find any post that needs trimming. Just copy the location of the post with errors, and paste it into a link in a post in this thread, where I can zap over there and eliminate the ~originals.

*Prang!* you are hereby appointed, if you choose to accept. :D

How to copy the link location:
Right click on the arrowhead next to the post title. Then select...

Paste the result into your post like this: viewtopic.php?p=1231737#p1231737
I can take it from there simply by clicking on the link. (BTW, clicking on this link will be frustrating, because it's the link to the post you are reading.)

The Future Unreels

Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:31 am

YouTookMyName wrote:
I guess I could appoint you three or four loyal readers :heart: who do post, as deputies to let me know if you find any post that needs trimming. Just copy the location of the post with errors, and paste it into a link in a post in this thread, where I can zap over there and eliminate the ~originals.

*Prang!* you are hereby appointed, if you choose to accept. :D
Ah, will do! I was about to make a list of the mysteriously changing missing images in the OP above, and you've already fixed it! So, of course I'll be happy to let you know when I find broken images!

Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:51 am

A Comparison of Bicycle Thieves (1948) & Beijing Bicycle (2001)
The Writers

Two foreign films. Foreign if you aren't Italian or Chinese, that is. I wondered if IMDb had anything much about those involved, beyond the director of Bicycle Thieves.

--1948---------------
There are eight credited writers for the 1948 film!
Cesare Zavattini (1902–1989) (story) (screenplay) Luigi Bartolini (1892–1963) (novel) Oreste Biancoli (1897–1971) (screenplay) & Suso Cecchi D'Amico (1914–2010) (screenplay) & Vittorio De Sica (1901–1974), who also directed, (screenplay) & Adolfo Franci (1895–1954) (screenplay) & Gherardo Gherardi (1891–1949) (screenplay) & Gerardo Guerrieri (1920–1986) (screenplay). I looked up information on the first four.
Cesare Zavattini's first writing credit appears on the 1935 film I'll Give a Million for which he wrote both the story and the screenplay. 114 writing credits later, he wrote the story for a 1986 short film Ritorno dal Cinema. It was his last work while alive. Zavattini died in October 1989 at age 87. He has two posthumous writing credits. The four "Known For" entries at IMDb are four of the films he wrote for frequent Collaborator Vittorio De Sica. Zavattini's IMDb awards page lists three Oscar nominations that were not in any Foreign film category! They were for Sciuscià (1946), Ladri di biciclette (1948), and Umberto D. (1952).
Luigi Bartolini's sole screen credit is for the source novel that inspired Bicycle Thieves. I learned from Kirkus Reviews that the novel features "a no longer young poet-artist whose fine new bicycle had been brazenly stolen from under his nose." That means a lot of adjustment was made to create Antonio, Bruno and Maria for De Sica's screen adaptation.
Oreste Biancoli earned 97 screen credits for writing between 1930 and 1964. Biancoli was born in the 19th century, in 1897, and lived for 74 years. His most-known accomplishment was the screenplay for the De Sica film we're looking at in this Rematch.
Suso Cecchi D'Amico began her collection of 126 screen writing credits in 1946 by penning Professor, My Son. Her most signficantly remembered writing task was to help with Bicycle Thieves, which probably means that of all the films these eight writers worked on, that film is the best-known.
Look at the linked IMDb filmographies of the eight people listed above. Many of them were nominated for and won awards for their work in cinema over the years. Remember that many films that are well-known, coherent, and that reach you were the work of many writers, and sometimes more than one director. Apparently cinema is not only collaborative work in the process of acquisition, but can also be the labor of many minds and hands when the story is being developed and when editing is underway.

--2001---------------
I learned that the original Chinese title for this film can be translated as “Seventeen-year-old’s bicycle”, or “The bicycle I had when I was seventeen”, which could apply to either Guei or Jian.
There are four credited writers: Peggy Chiao, Hsiao-Ming Hsu, Danian Tang, Xiaoshuai Wang, who also directed.
Peggy Chiao Hsiung-ping is a writer/Producer who is known, according to IMDb as the Godmother of New Taiwan Cinema. Her writing career spans only ten years, with Center Stage (1991) and Beijing Bicycle (2001) making up the whole list. In 1997 she began producing films, and has amassed 30 producer credits to date. She has mostly features to her name, with five documentaries among them, and three short films. Peggy Chiao has two nominations and two lifetime achievement awards.
Hsiao-Ming Hsu has no biographical information at IMDb, but I found a blurb of his career at the Taipei Film Commission website. I started to put that text here, but then thought better of it and pasted it in the weblinks section. Hsu's awards page at IMDb notes that the film we are looking at here resulted in a nomination for Best Original Screenplay at the Golden Horse Film Festival in 2001, which all four writers shared. But in 1997 and 1998 Hsu garnered four awards for a documentary he produced entitled Wang Xiang, also known as Homesick Eyes according to IMDb. Hsu has 13 producer credits as of 2017.
Danian Tang has six Writer credits and three Director credits at IMDb. Beijing Bicycle is his third writing credit, earned in the same year that he directed City Paradise. I found a Wikipedia stub article about him. In it he is referred to as 'one of the sixth generation directors.' The online Encyclopedia of Contemporary Chinese Culture has a much longer article about his career. His films are known as being edgy, which fits him right in with the ideas embodied by Beijing Bicycle, although it sounds as if the films he has directed are even edgier, Taiwan style.

ImageImageGo back using these buttons.ImageImageImageImageImageImage

THE BICYCLE THIEVES a review of the source novel for De Sica's film, from Kirkus Reviews.com. 'The thoroughly disenchanted excursion of search made through the gigantic thieves' market that Rome had become in late 1944 by a no longer young poet-artist whose fine new bicycle had been brazenly stolen from under his nose. This is the book on which the great Italian film is based--It is somewhat different from the film--deeper and more subtle in its implications.' -- 'A half-humorous, half-bitter and totally ironical little memoir of what totalitarianism and war do to a country, a people and, in essence, the world, which has lost the ""irretrievable"", this is a mature concept of the way things are that is not for the incurably starry-eyed.'

1 Beijing Bicycle @ Chinese Film and Society, NEH 2012. 'Beijing Bicycle, with its original Chinese title as “Seventeen-year-old’s bicycle”, or “The bicycle I had when I was seventeen”, is a story about youth and growth.'

Hsu Hsiao Ming at iffr.com

Producers - HSU HSIAO MING at Film Commission Taipei website. 'HSU Hsiao-ming directed his debut film, Dust of Angels in 1991. The film gained commercial success in Taiwan and was selected as the Closing Film of "Director's Fortnight" at Cannes Film Festival in 1992. He went on to direct popular films and TV series, including Heartbreak Island, Summer Afternoon, Homesick Eyes, Once, and Love of May. In 1998, HSU produced a documentary, HHH, A Portrait of HOU Hsiao-hsien (directed by French director Olivier Assayas). Meanwhile, he began to undertake Taiwanese-Chinese co-productions, supervising many highly acclaimed films that achieved brilliant results at major international film festivals, including Longing for the Rain (YANG Lina), Egg and Stone (HUANG Ji, 2012), Chongqing Blues (WANG Xiao-shuai, 2010), Courthouse on Horseback (LIU Jie, 2006), Blue Gate Crossing (YEE Chih-yen, 2002), Beijing Bicycle (WANG Xiao-shuai, 2001), and Betelnut Beauty (LIN Cheng-sheng, 2001), etc.'

Tang Danian From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. 'Tang Danian (唐大年 1968) is a Chinese film director, screenwriter and sometime actor. He is one of the sixth generation directors.'

Tang Danian from Encyclopedia of Contemporary Chinese Culture. Article by BÉRÉNICE REYNAUD "One of the most talented screenwriters of the Sixth Generation (see Sixth Generation (film directors)), Tang brought a new edgy urban sensibility to his depiction of Chinese society, especially its lost misguided youth. A graduate of the Beijing Film Academy (1989), Tang was immediately noticed as the writer of Zhang Nuanxin’s Good Morning, Beijing (Beijing nizao, 1990)—a film showing young Beijingers having casual sex, listening to rock music and contemplating abortion."

Note: all images used were located using Google Image search terms including the name of each subject, or the name plus the word "poster." If you want credits, simply follow the same protocol, and the used images will no doubt be in the list of images returned. Images borrowed from IMDb are not credited.

The Future Unreels

Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:12 am

Shieldmaiden wrote:
Ah, will do! I was about to make a list of the mysteriously changing missing images in the OP above, and you've already fixed it! So, of course I'll be happy to let you know when I find broken images!

It turns out to be easier to correct the broken links than I was dreading mid-meltdown.

First of all, the ~original didn't turn up until years into the thread. At some time PhotoBucket automatically selected to scramble filenames for me, didn't tell me, and I didn't know it was going on until a few days ago. Apparently, ~original is one of the ways it works. But the reasoning is that it makes the URL more difficult to trace. That plays havoc with browsers especially in BBcode. Which they actually allude to on the page where I discovered the travesty, telling users that scrambling filenames isn't something you want if you're linking to PB from bulletin boards or blogs.

And that explains the meltdown I had in 2016 when the images began to disappear randomly. There are several posts about it. They seemed to simply come back, so I never traced down the cause. When I paste the PB-generated lists of URLs into my log-sheets from now on I'll go through and eliminate ~original from the code!

I've gone through the Round Four posts on two or maybe three pages of the original thread, now. I can use the browser Find function to locate all the instances in the code for a post one at a time, and double click then double-backspace...and the little demon is gone from that line!

More work than I would like, but much less than I feared.

Thanks for helping me track this down.

So when did they automatically scramble it? Did I miss a memo or something a couple of years ago? Did you have any trouble with disappearing and re-appearing images in your thread?

The Future Unreels

Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:36 am
Post Re: YTMN presents: Remake Rematch Thread Part Two

This is my plan. I know that readers don't really care what I write next. But I have to keep my own interest at a high enough level to keep going. The tech posts are important to me ("Son, do you ever think about the people who made your jeans?"--The Confirmation) but they are boring to make, and I'm not sure they're all that exciting to read (each one requires 6-10 hours of work to create, although they don't take very long to read). I've tried to intersperse more interesting essays and reviews amongst the tech posts. But there are few of those left to do. See, I was avoiding getting around to the tech posts during much of the time before PhotoBucket management temporarily closed the thread down. :shifty:

So, although I might change the order because of unforeseen reasons, here's the plan, the roadmap, for completing the final 38 posts of NQRR Round Four.

1 dir HEL Directors tech post Mayor of Hell, etc.
2 dir BIC Directors tech post Bicycle Thieves, etc.
3 dir BRH Directors tech post Battle Royale, etc.
4 dir DRB Directors tech post Devil's Backbone, etc.
5 fx BIC Effects post Bicycle Thieves, etc.
6 dp BRH Photography tech post Battle Royale, etc.
7 review: Tom Brown's Schooldays (2005)
8 dp DRB Photography tech post Devil's Backbone, etc.
9 fx HEL Effects tech post Mayor of Hell, etc.
10 sc PAI Writing tech post Pinocchio, etc.
11 dir PAI Directors tech post Pinocchio, etc.
12 sc SKN Writing tech post Victim, etc.
13 mu HEL Music tech post Mayor of Hell, etc.
14 ed HEL Editors tech post Mayor of Hell, etc.
15 review: Crime School (1938)
16 de BIC Designers tech post Bicycle Thieves, etc.(BIC Rematch done)
17 essay 1: Mayor of Hell, etc.
18 fx DRB Effects tech post Devil's Backbone, etc.
19 fx PAI Effects tech post Pinocchio, etc.
20 fx SKN Effects tech post Victim, etc.
21 de BRH Designers tech post Battle Royale, etc.
22 review: A. I. Artificial Intelligence (2001)
23 de DRB Designers tech post Devil's Backbone, etc.
24 de HEL Designers tech post Mayor of Hell, etc.
25 de PAI Designers tech post Pinocchio, etc.
26 de SKN Designers tech post Victim, etc.
27 fx BRH Effects tech post Battle Royale, etc.
28 ed PAI Editors tech post Pinocchio, etc.(PAI Rematch done)
29 mu BRH Music tech post Battle Royale, etc.
30 review: Hell's Kitchen (1939)
31 ed DRB Editors tech post Devil's Backbone, etc.
32 mu SKN Music tech post Victim, etc.
33 essay 3: Mayor of Hell, etc. (HEL Rematch done)
34 ed BRH Editors tech post Battle Royale, etc. (BRH Rematch done)
35 dp SKN Photography tech post Victim, etc.
36 mu DRB Music tech post Devil's Backbone, etc.(DRB Rematch done)
37 ed SKN Editors tech post Victim, etc. (SKN Rematch done)
38 review: Tom Brown's School Days (1971) (BRN Rematch done)
Round Four complete

There are a few essays that are mostly written that I might develop and add to their intended Rematches. Or maybe not.

The Future Unreels

Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:48 am
Post Re: YTMN presents: Remake Rematch Thread Part Two

Well, here's why I'm posting this: In March 2010 I left RT forums because the troll situation there had gotten to me. Someone at RT made me aware that The Corrierino forums were new, and wanted posters. So I came here. Naturally, my continued presence here was always contingent on no trolls showing up.

For years there basically weren't any trolls (at least not of that low calibre) here at the Corrie. Certainly no troll ever attacked me here.

Recently I engaged in what I thought was a conversation with someone who I assumed was a correspondent. Instead, it turned out that I had become the target of an internet troll. This creature wanted no discussion, after all. It only wanted to prove false every point I made. So I let it have the final say.

Somewhere earlier in 2018 I read a post that lamented (or perhaps merely noted) that some people who had come over from RT were trolls. But until this week I had never noticed any of them. They are here! If you find them amusing, then enjoy their presence.

No one makes me come to this website and read or write. I have been coming here for enjoyment for 8 years. But I don't need anything going on in a place where I come for sheer enjoyment that even approaches the rudeness and inanity of trolling.

I don't hang out where trolls do. I find them too irritating for me to be around, even virtually. I have enough real problems to deal with in real life as the caregiver to an aging parent.

Just as my career in audio-visual production eventually came to an end after almost 500 titles (by my own choice), now my time as a forum poster concludes.

This is my final post as YTMN and as Gort in this forum. And it represents the end of my forum posting career!

I will not be lurking, so I bid my final farewells to those who post here, including the trolls, but I won't miss the trolls.

I will miss reading what most of you have to write in these threads. To those many people who I will miss, I wish you a good life.

The Future Unreels

Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]