Fellini pulled his funding, too. :shifty:

WCoF I II IIIL'EtàL'Eau한국88ShadowsBerlin thırd ISOLATIONVistaVision

Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:07 am
Profile WWW
Post Re: Wamness 2014: Autunno Italiano: Seven Notes in Black

:-/

Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:20 pm
Post Re: Wamness 2014: Autunno Italiano: Seven Notes in Black

Yep. The visual repetition is much closer to a musical theme than anything plot-related. The fact that we anticipate the end for over an hour actually adds layers of atmosphere and doom. And Jennifer O'Neill's eyes carry this film.

I'm glad you liked it. :heart:

Incredibles 2 ▪ Young Frankenstein ▪ The Lair of the White Worm ▪ The Blob ▪ A Quiet Place ▪ King Kong (1933) ▪ Atomic Blonde ▪ Raw ▪ Rampage ▪ Detroit ▪ Before I Fall ▪ The Levelling ▪ A United Kingdom

Voyage | Female Gaze | MACBETH | Sokurov | Fassbinder | Greenaway | Denis | Bookshelf

Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:40 pm
Post Re: Wamness 2014: Autunno Italiano: Once Upon a Time in the

C'era una volta il West | Sergio Leone | 1968 | ITA | 175 min | 2014-10-07 | 2K | Magnolia, Dallas | WORST EVER

You'd think that at some point during this retardation-fest - perhaps in the 174 minutes of its being solely comprised of close-ups - the law of averages would kick in and Leone might accidentally get a good close-up, but nope, each one is as ugly, empty and awkwardly framed as the last and then goes on longer and longer each time. What's with the chins being cut off? Did someone poorly translate the "Warner's hair-cut" to Leone and he thought it should include a shave too? I mean, I get that he was GBU-sequilitising hardcore with all that harmonica motif bullshit and probably wished this movie could just be three hours of eyeballs looking in different directions, but come on...

And speaking of eyes: Henry Fonda has weak, pathetic, pleading bug eyes, and by this point he'd had them for multiple decades. They are not tough or intimidating, and his reedy bleat of a voice isn't either, and miscasting isn't the same as playing against type (especially when he doesn't even have a type, other than wimpy whiner, which doesn't contrast from this character, it implodes it). But I'm pointing this out about a movie whose opening has their "intimidating" hood be too stupid to use his hands to shoo a fly off his face and then in the next cut trap the fly in the barrel of his gun. Have these fucking Italians seen any Westerns? Do they not plan to use this same person to be intimidating again in a moment when Bronson shows up? Lookout Bronson! They're gonna go for their flyswatters! Woody Strode is hydrated and not ill with dysentery from drinking leaking roof water or blood or whatever that viscous-y shit was! Not one of them thought in all that time waiting how a train has two sides and they might want to spread out to get the drop on you! FEAR THESE IDIOTS!

And speaking of idiots: Jason Robards is a short little brainy guy, not a gunslinging badass, and he was in the bar with Claudia Cardinale and Bronson in the previous scene when he then asks her if she's noticed any harmonica-playing characters around, "Uh yeah dummy, in the last fucking scene we were in YOU TALKED TO THE FUCKING HARMONICA GUY AND THEN TALKED TO ME SO YOU KNOW I WAS THERE TOO!" So on the one hand we're fearing those idiots, on the other hand we're admiring these other idiots. Perfect!

Speaking of perfect: yknow how McCabe and Mrs Miller has that lived-in old west quality with the mud and the crappy building and the dankness and all that atmosphere (and doesn't Heaven's Gate also get some of that in some sequences? It's in lots of later Westerns), how come this movie only goes so far with that as to have the whole thing in this fecal range of color? Even the clear skies look like shit, instead of evocative of weather or in contrast to the shit-city-ness going on below.

Speaking of color: how about those dagos orange'd up in Leprechaun-face to play the Irish family? And that supposedly shocking kid-shooting that everyone who recommends this movie to me hypes up, YOU DON'T EVEN SEE THE LITTLE FUCKHEAD GET SHOT! As soon as he was on-screen I was like, I hope this is the kid that gets shot. But not only is the shooting not the heartless character-establishing moment it's infamous for - Fonda says plainly why he's motivated to do it instead of just doing it and relishing it - but then it's - guess what? - A BUNCH OF CLOSE-UPS! THIS FACE, THAT FACE, THE GUN BARREL. Boom! Zzzzzzzzz...

Keenan Wynn was good like he always is, he had a good mustache. Too bad he and Fonda didn't share any screentime because this movie 1000% is the "Western" version of 12 Angry Men, a big stupid easy cotton-candy version of other-wise unpleasant non-modern+mainstream movie types - the western, the "classic" (B&W) - which work perfectly if you haven't seen any/many others in that style. A kindergarten starter movie. How it ends up the highest ranked unseen movie for me each time I go through otherwise reputable lists is beyond me.

Oh my god, and the title coming up at the end? Do they not understand what "Once upon a time" means? I mean, why would they, they don't understand Westerns at all and pretended to make one. A film by idiots about idiots for idiots. Have at it!

Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:15 pm

thank god, i thought you might change your mind on it and i'd have to start listening to your opinions again

Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:57 pm

wigwam wrote:
Have these fucking Italians seen any Westerns?
Hmm. It seems completely reasonable that fans of traditional westerns might not appreciate the pop exaggerations and abstractions of the spaghetti variety. It’s my impression, though, that most of them do? I’m not familiar with the genre at all, but I like artificiality in film, and the stylization and big gestures of this one feel just right. It seems like a waste of time to point out inconsistencies; it’s poetry, not narrative.

Incredibles 2 ▪ Young Frankenstein ▪ The Lair of the White Worm ▪ The Blob ▪ A Quiet Place ▪ King Kong (1933) ▪ Atomic Blonde ▪ Raw ▪ Rampage ▪ Detroit ▪ Before I Fall ▪ The Levelling ▪ A United Kingdom

Voyage | Female Gaze | MACBETH | Sokurov | Fassbinder | Greenaway | Denis | Bookshelf

Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:36 pm

wigwam wrote:

No, but they love their Spaghetti!

WCoF I II IIIL'EtàL'Eau한국88ShadowsBerlin thırd ISOLATIONVistaVision

Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:51 pm
Profile WWW

JediMoonShyne wrote:
No, but they love their Spaghetti!

Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:48 am

wigwam wrote:
Shieldmaiden wrote:
Hmm. It seems completely reasonable that fans of traditional westerns might not appreciate the pop exaggerations and abstractions of the spaghetti variety. It’s my impression, though, that most of them do? I’m not familiar with the genre at all, but I like artificiality in film, and the stylization and big gestures of this one feel just right. It seems like a waste of time to point out inconsistencies; it’s poetry, not narrative.

Plus it's opera! At least this one is. And to complain about realism and realistic ethnic looks in the context of old American westerns, well, let's not bring up redface, shall we... or the general lack of realism when it comes gunfights and battles with Native Americans in general. Like the American westerns Leone follows, it's all about the myth of the west, not about any real historical west. The western determined how we thought about the old west, not the other way around. "How it really was" only becomes a real concern in the '70s and onwards, and that was part of what killed the genre commercially. And then still the nitpicking about realism in various instance makes me almost ask the reverse question, if Wigwam has seen any westerns, which would be equally ridiculous as the question he asks, based on the evidence of how often Wigwam has talked about westerns in the past. I write "equally ridiculous", because of how Leone uses western archetypes, iconography, imagery and thematic concerns, and combines several common types of westerns into one big, 'ultimate' western, plus cites and references 20 to 30 classic westerns visually and plotwise, the idea that he hadn't seen westerns or didn't understand what they were about is just ludicrous. Not only had he seen them, he had whole sequences commited to memory judging by how he visually cites shots and scenes. Though it's true that the plot isn't completely airtight (there's also some business with the train guy late in the film that just doesn't fit the timeline, for instance), Leone has plenty of attention to detail in other places, including the infamous importing of sand from Monument Valley so that the dust flying in the bar in the beginning (filmed in Cinecitta) matches the color of the sand we saw in the exterior shot leading up to that filmed in Monument Valley. Anyway, to directly answer your original question, especially as a fan of classic westerns I love what Leone does with the genre. And his wide compositions, for that matter, lest we get lost in thise 'only close-ups' nonsense.

Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:49 pm

Kurz :heart:

I knew I wasn't the right person to defend it. (Although I love it.)

Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:01 pm
Post Re: Wamness 2014: Autunno Italiano: House With Laughing Wind

Thx Kurz and Maiden, I don't think I was complaining about a lack of realism and agree that stylization - like in classical westerns - is one of the best things abt movies.

My contention was that what stylization Leone goes for - the extreme closeups, the use of persona/physicality for archetypal characters, the repulsive fecal look of the photography, the leprechaun-face - is all done very sloppily and to little effect for me. If this is opera, all of the voices are belting their biggest note in the heaviest vibrato instead of varying in order to make a melody (the over-use of extreme close-ups) (I can't think of too many wide compositions in this film, a couple at the train station, a couple at the construction site - but can recall some from other Leones and they just recall stark wide shots from other (better) westerns, nothing unique about his to me [edit: I just realized that all the wide shots of his I'm thinking of all have a foregrounded component, thus his close-up monotony is even present in his wide shots] - but the main problem is that anything that could be a medium shot or played out in a longer take, is instead done in a series of close-ups, look at Fonda shooting the kid - completely wasted opportunity just grammatically not only diminished in the writing of why his character does it).

When I was asking if Westerns had been seen, I was referring to a bad guy we had just been asked to take seriously then being used for an unfunny and implausible joke (the fly on his face) and then use his gun - the most "loaded" iconography of the western, his most dangerous/ominous aspect - as a flyswatter, thus deflating the portent that the film is excruciatingly trying to inform these characters with (also the stupid hat/water/Woody Strode thing does the same thing - these guys are retards...). I don't know what scenes from what movies Leone had memorized, but it must not have been Borden Chase because that is really bad writing. And the long, tedious sequence not building any suspense (which happens again later on the train when Robards is on the roof) is bad directing and editing. Just because it's slow doesn't mean it's suspenseful, it has to have stakes with the characters (here casted badly, written cartoon-ishly) or the space (here ill-defined thanks to the close-up overuse).

But anyway, next time I'll just read up about the fucking sand before I watch his movies and cling to that for 3 hours :roll:

Quote:
Olof: once upon a time in the west rocks wig
Olof: did u like once upon a time in america?
Olof: are u a leone hater?
Olof: i guess i havent seen west in a while, not america either
Olof: america was really good tho
wigwam joined the chat
wigwam: i like america i think
wigwam: and i liked his others when i saw them when i was a ten year old
wigwam: but they're not movies for an adult wiht any understanding of that genre or movies overall
wigwam: they're junkfood movies
wigwam: junkfood movies done poorly and overhyped by otherwise-credible cineastes

La casa dalle finestre che ridono | Pupi Avati | 1976 | ITA | 110 min | 2014-10-08 | AVI | Home, Junius Heights | LIKED

Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:13 pm
Post Re: Wamness 2014: Podcast: Frank Tashlin & Jerry Lewis

Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:15 pm

It's funny when you say that last thing, because as ten-twelve year old I hated it for being slow and unfunny and lacking suspense, while as an adult I've come to appreciate it because I'd seen many a western and finally got what Leone was doing. But also found those two first sequences extremely suspenseful, and still do every time. I just watched those again and saw dozens of wide compositions, I don't know what you're talking about. One of the things I like about Leone is how he contrasts wide shots with extreme close-ups. By the way, this won't mean much too you I guess, but the opening scene was conceived by Leone as him killing off his more cartoonish earlier westerns - originally he wanted Eastwood, Van Cleef and Wallach waiting in that train station to make that very clear - but one of them didn't want to do it and that fell apart. Originally Leone never even wanted to make another western, but then he decided to make an 'ultimate' western, combining a bunch of archetypical western narratives and metaphors into one big movie, especially dying west ones, and stretch those tropes into extremes. To make a great western but also to be done with it once and for all.It's not for everyone I suppose. And of course while trying to finance his gangster movie he went and made two more, but that's neither here nor there.

I don't recall exactly what scenes/shots are references to other movies, though I do remember that the final shoot-out matches an old one in a lot of ways. I know Christopher Frayling mentions them all on his commentary track of the movie as they occur in the movie, but I doubt watching the film again with commentary would be your idea of a good time so I wouldn't recommend it.

Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:26 pm

Colonel Kurz wrote:
I doubt watching the film again with commentary would be your idea of a good time so I wouldn't recommend it.

actually that sounds good to me :lol: just not for a few years probably

I dunno, I don't really mean to make you defend it or anything, obviously its reputation is impeccable since I find it in all these Best Ever lists, I just wanted to speak my piece abt the shortcomings I found since this just seems so over-hyped and I've never heard anyone say anything bad about it before, and I was surprised to finally see it and it be what it was. Plus I just watched all those Peckinpahs which actually achieve what you're describing without any handicapping with trivia or false notes to forgive. The 10 year old viewings were of the earlier "more cartoony" ones (but even in this one, he basically just rebuilds a less-distinct triumvirate w/ Bronson-Robards-Fonda, and like I said with the harmonica motif, it seemed extremely sequilitis-y, less an ultimate than a retread of himself)

Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:39 pm
Post Re: Wamness 2014: Voyage to Italy & Four Flies on Grey Velve

Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:10 pm
Post Re: Wamness 2014: Autunno Italiano: Bird With Crystal Plumag

Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:45 pm

Kurz, are you gonna go to this next week?

http://www.filmfestival.be/en/2014/susp ... rt/14-0962

Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:24 pm

I'm going to the fest :) but only arrive at the 19th due to other work stuff on saturday. :(

Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:45 am
Post Re: Wamness 2014: Autunno Italiano: Big Deal on Madonna Stre

Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:37 am
Post Re: Wamness 2014: Autunno Italiano: Suspiria rewatch

Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:45 pm

what about the ballet tho

Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:28 am

Aw. I wish I could see Suspiria on the big screen.

Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:42 am

roujin wrote:
what about the ballet tho

i went out to the lobby and played Ms PacMan

Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:10 am

would've expected no less

Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:48 am

what was your score

"your review shows me only that you dont understand anything about movies and that you are a untalented wanna bee filmmaker with no balls and no understanding what POSTAL is. you dont see courage because you are nothing. and no go to your mum and fuck her …because she cooks for you now since 30 years ..so she deserves it." — Uwe Boll

Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:08 am
Profile WWW
Post Re: Wamness 2014: Autunno Italiano: Fellini's Casanova

Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:02 pm
Post Re: Wamness 2014: Autunno Italiano: Strip Nude for Your Kill

Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:05 pm
Post Re: Wamness 2014: Podcast: Frank Capra & Barbara Stanwyck

I guested on a podcast discussing Frank Capra & Barbara Stanwyck

please download :up:

Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:03 pm
Post Re: Wamness 2014: VIEWcation, all I ever wanted...

Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:16 pm

youre nuts

Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:21 pm

what happened to your job

Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:50 pm

i am
i am taking a vacation 12/19/14-1/5/15, during which i plan to watch some movies i've had downloaded for ages which i created a random formula to assign me based on some categories and formulas, after which i tweaked here and there to make all-day scopdeluxe or 1954 or Raoul Walsh or 1962 or whatever

i've pretty much never been as excited abt life as i am now/was making this

im sure some of my shithead relatives will pull some obligation shit on me for holiday bullshit but hopefully i can avoid them

some of the theater movies might not come out when i think they are going to, in which case I'll just go rewatch Inherent Vice, which i may do every night anyway if i can talk my wife into it like i did this viewcation

Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:06 pm

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:38 pm
Post Wamness 2014 VIEWcation all I ever wanted

I have.

Used my UM as white scars sorry Carl at an event recently. To even said it was fine.

Marine players use to do it all the time, and as long as it is clearly written on your army list I see no problem.

If you wanted to use your Beil Tan Eldar as Iyanden youre not going to repaint or buy a whole new army?

Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:35 pm

lol

Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:43 pm

I want that text matched to Pin's pictures on a tumblr, please

Reactivated Netflix discs. Gotta work some shit into this rotation, starting with Ram Leela

(after some Minnelli and LotR rewatches)

Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:52 am

are u committing to inherent vice rewatches sight unseen

i thought you were way down on the idea of it a few months ago

Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:38 am

sight unseen
never been down
i mean i run from the theater during previews but that's just so my eyes remain virginal and PTA can inseminate me on our special night and I'll go home and mindbirth a blog post

also i skipped the book when i read all the other pynchons cuz pta is more important

Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:40 am

i sat down to watch inherent vice with my friend and before the movie he was like "i keep thinking about that part in the trailer where" and i was like dude wtf you know i avoided the trailers on purpose also were about to watch the movie why are you talking about whats going to happen in the movie

i wish people understood me

Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:45 am
Post Re: Viewcation 2014: Every Night at the Movies Podcast: Hobb

Every Night at the Movies Holiday Viewcation Edition: The Hobbit Battle of the Five Armies

Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:01 am

saw that you liked ram leela

YOU ARE ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY

Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:39 am

the great viewcation eh? good start

Thu Dec 25, 2014 1:52 am
Post Re: Wamness 2014: Autunno Italiano: Blue Movie and Accatone

get on it

the anthem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZE9KWU-ntBk

Thu Dec 25, 2014 2:03 am
Post Re: Wamness 2014

At least you had a plan and stuck to it. For my "viewcation", I have just been watching stuff I want to watch and need to watch, here and there. It's working out okay, but now I have 200 films on my view immediately list and I'm running out of time, plus I need to do real stuff. How do you do it, o Master?

Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:46 am

:lol: i didnt stick to it for shit, so far I've only watched 83 titles of my planned 166 and almost none were the ones my randomizer formula planned for me

but I have read a lot and written abt 20 pages of a screenplay

Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:29 pm

olfer changed chatzy and I had to promise him not to link you, sorry, your chatzy days are over and just on one of my selfie days
Bob the Bastion: you're on the level on the girls i stalk
Bob the Bastion: with ur stupid selfies

Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:31 pm

:lol: tell him i'll never forget him and the laughs he gave the world, i'll only forget his paypal account

Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:33 pm
Post Re: Wamness 2014: Autunno Italiano: Blue Movie and Accatone

goodbye sweet prince of justice

Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:25 am

forgot about the chatzy. so it's just pin & olof now?

Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:34 am
Reply to topic   [ 259 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next