It is currently Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:02 am

Reply to topic  [ 1474 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 30  Next
 The Continuing Football Season 2015/16 
Post The Continuing Football Season 2015/16

TO CLARIFY: this refers, of course, to football in its purest form; the game played primarily with the feet, or "soccer", as some lesser people describe it.

To begin, herein I invite you to join this season's annual edition of Corrierino Fantasy Football, this year created by myself. A brief warning, I do plan to genuinely contest this year after finishing victorious (and completely unnoticed) top of the Euro 2012 fantasy league. Lest we forget.

Step 1: Register, or if you participated last year, sign in, at which point you will be prompted to update your details and so forth.
Step 2: Pick your team. Labour over this, as it is the most important part of the game. The rules (link posted below) are pretty much identical to last year as far as I can tell, and players still pick a team of 15 players whose combined value amounts to no more than £100m. You do have until 18th August, the first day of the season, to make alterations to this team without penalty, though it is advised that you pick early. This is because you can quite often select a bargain player who has a proposed transfer in the works, and would be more valuable than the fools at the Premier League rank them at their current club.
Step 3: Name your team. Equally vital, though perpetually unsatisfactory, as you will never quite be able to fit that perfect team name into their ridiculous character limit.
Step 4: Click the 'Leagues' tab, and select 'Join a League'.
Step 5: Select 'private league', and enter the code 98738-51894 to join the Correrino league.

The Rules
Enjoy.

Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:31 pm
Post Re: The Continuing Football Season 2012/13

I would really recommend that you don't pick Zak Whitbread: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18955206

Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:35 pm

I always join these things, and I always lose interest after the first couple of weeks.

Count me in.

Last.fm

Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:43 pm

man, i am more out of the loop than i thought, i recognize a whole two of these goaltenders.

Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:12 am

FC Utrecht's ambitions last year: top 5 and Europe League. Ambitions now: position 9-12. :-|

Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:14 am

Colonel Kurz wrote:
FC Utrecht's ambitions last year: top 5 and Europe League. Ambitions now: position 9-12. :-|

Cedric van der Gun will fire you to glory.

Last.fm

Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:47 pm

Only two have signed up so far! I know for a fact there are more than two appreciators of football on these boards.

Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:48 pm

Notes from Underground wrote:
Cedric van der Gun will fire you to glory.

He always seems to go for it, which is what people respect around here. He was hit and miss when he was reintroduced late last year though, scoring some goals but also getting himself stuck a lot of times, and missing some great chances that could've won/drawn games.

Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:05 pm

Today I Found Out

I actually did just find this today.

in progress:
BIC Bicycle Thieves/Beijing Bicycle Es1, 4 Rv1 DP
BOU La Guerre des Boutons/War of the Buttons Es1 2 3 4 5 Rv1 2 3 Sc
BRH Battle Royale/Hunger Games Es1 Sc Rv1 2
BRN Tom Brown's Schooldays Es 1 2 3 Sc Mu Rv1
DRB Devil's Backbone/Dorm Es1 2 Rv1 2 Sc
HEL Mayor of Hell/Crime School/Hell's Kitchen DP Rv1 Es1
PAI Pinocchio/A. I. Es2 Rv1 DP Mu
SKN Victim/Skin I Live In Es1 3 Dir Rv1 2
TNS Tingler/Creeps/Slither Rv1 Rv2 Es1 SFX
TZN Tarzan of the Apes/Tarzan the Ape Man/Greystoke Script Rv1 2 3 Es1 2 3

The Future Unreels

trxbooks.com

Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:24 pm

Let's bring back “Start-Stop Rugby with Padding”.

Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:30 pm

Colonel Kurz wrote:
Let's bring back “Start-Stop Rugby with Padding”.

Imagine the American TV announcers who would get tangle-tongued over that one!

in progress:
BIC Bicycle Thieves/Beijing Bicycle Es1, 4 Rv1 DP
BOU La Guerre des Boutons/War of the Buttons Es1 2 3 4 5 Rv1 2 3 Sc
BRH Battle Royale/Hunger Games Es1 Sc Rv1 2
BRN Tom Brown's Schooldays Es 1 2 3 Sc Mu Rv1
DRB Devil's Backbone/Dorm Es1 2 Rv1 2 Sc
HEL Mayor of Hell/Crime School/Hell's Kitchen DP Rv1 Es1
PAI Pinocchio/A. I. Es2 Rv1 DP Mu
SKN Victim/Skin I Live In Es1 3 Dir Rv1 2
TNS Tingler/Creeps/Slither Rv1 Rv2 Es1 SFX
TZN Tarzan of the Apes/Tarzan the Ape Man/Greystoke Script Rv1 2 3 Es1 2 3

The Future Unreels

trxbooks.com

Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:31 pm

Colonel Kurz wrote:
He always seems to go for it, which is what people respect around here. He was hit and miss when he was reintroduced late last year though, scoring some goals but also getting himself stuck a lot of times, and missing some great chances that could've won/drawn games.

Everybody loves a tryer.

Who would you say are Utrecht's key players? I must admit, I recognise very few names from the squad listed on Wikipedia.

Last.fm

Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:35 pm

In Utrecht they tend to care more for passion than technique.

Asare is really the creative motor of the team, and one of the few that's left of the much better team from two years ago before the exodus of last summer. Mulenga could be good - but everytime he's shown promise of getting consistent in the past two years he got a nine month injury - one season his right knee and the other season his left. Takagi was showing promise late last year. Gerndt can be good but is still inconsistent.

Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:07 pm

the conformist wrote:
Only two have signed up so far! I know for a fact there are more than two appreciators of football on these boards.

i'll be in, but i expect to lose. i'll probably get to it this weekend.

Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:46 am

Colonel Kurz wrote:
In Utrecht they tend to care more for passion than technique.

Asare is really the creative motor of the team, and one of the few that's left of the much better team from two years ago before the exodus of last summer. Mulenga could be good - but everytime he's shown promise of getting consistent in the past two years he got a nine month injury - one season his right knee and the other season his left. Takagi was showing promise late last year. Gerndt can be good but is still inconsistent.

Oh dear. That doesn't come across as a praise-filled assessment of your best players.

Last.fm

Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:14 am

Love hurts. :(

Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:00 am

Terry charged with racism.

BBC News wrote:
But in reaching a not guilty verdict, chief magistrate Howard Riddle stated it was "possible that what was said was not intended as an insult but rather as a challenge to what he believed had been said to him".

The prosecution had to prove beyond reasonable doubt that Terry had used the words in an insulting manner, which it could not.

But the FA only has to prove its case "on the balance of probabilities".

Football association defends disciplinary system (6th Jan 2012).

BBC News wrote:
Its Independent Regulatory Commission heard 473 cases between December 2010 and December 2011, but only two of them ended in "not guilty" verdicts.

Looks like English football has itself a Kangaroo court.

Last.fm

Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:16 pm

Yeah, it almost certainly does. Most footballers plead guilty to save themselves the hassle, but things like red card decisions, no matter how ridiculous, are never overturned unless due to a genuine administrative error.

All governing bodies of football are by now inherently corrupt, probably stemming from the amounts of money that changes hands in the game these days.

Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:10 pm

the conformist wrote:
but things like red card decisions, no matter how ridiculous, are never overturned unless due to a genuine administrative error.
I think it happened over here a few years ago. Well, the next match suspension was overturned, not the card itself because that's hard to do retrospectively. But my memory is hazy on this, I could be mistaken.

Read today in the paper that last year's disappointing new forward Gerndt has been impressing people this preseason very much. Maybe there's hope for Utrecht yet!

Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:16 pm

There were at least three red cards rescinded in the Premier League last season, plus quite a few more in the Championship and cup competitions.

The Terry inconsistency would have been avoided if this country's laws were less stupid. Then he simply would have been treated the same way Suarez was and we'd all have forgotten about it by now unless he decided, like Suarez, to keep talking about it every couple of weeks in order to avoid accepting responsibility for his own character deficiencies.

Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:34 pm

Can someone explain how the two cases ended up in such different courts? I guess I could google that.

Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:58 am

Arsenal hopeful of Santi Cazorla & Nuri Sahin deals.

Cazorla, Sahin, Podolski, and Giroud. If I was an Arsenal fan, I'd be reasonably pleased so far.

Last.fm

Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:11 pm

It's offset by the van Persie and Walcott contract situations, but if all else fails we could just keep those two and use them as back-ups to the new guys, which would have the added benefit of hilariously puncturing their egos.

Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:23 pm

I forgot about the Walcott situation, but it doesn't seem like a day passes when van Persie hasn't near-enough signed for somebody. Yesterday it was Juventus. These days I'm not convinced until the player is running around on the pitch in another club's shirt, but I can't help but follow all the shit talking.

Last.fm

Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:33 pm

It will be pretty funny if van Persie doesn't leave now, as it will mean Arsenal will have blown all their money on the areas of their team that didn't need improving.

Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:11 am

ledfloyd wrote:
man, i am more out of the loop than i thought, i recognize a whole two of these goaltenders.

Quick tip: stop calling them "goaltenders".

WCoF I II IIIL'EtàL'Eau한국88ShadowsBerlin thırd ISOLATIONVistaVision

Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:33 pm
Profile WWW

JediMoonShyne wrote:
Quick tip: stop calling them "goaltenders".

Pedant.

Get in on the Fantasy Football action. This will be the first time like, ever, that I'll take it seriously.

Last.fm

Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:11 pm

I saw Team GB v Uruguay in the Olympic football the other day, which in hindsight seems like a redundant match, but it was an okay game. It was a weird feeling being in a stadium where all the supporters are behind the same team. Suarez missed a crucial distinction when he accused people of booing the Uruguayan anthem; they weren't, they were booing the picture of him being antagonistically projected on the big stadium screen while it was ongoing. Again, not something that really matters in hindsight.

Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:58 am

the conformist wrote:
Suarez missed a crucial distinction when he accused people of booing the Uruguayan anthem; they weren't, they were booing the picture of him being antagonistically projected on the big stadium screen while it was ongoing.

I don't think the intent matters; it's still disrespectful to boo during a national anthem.

And somehow, England are now third in the world rankings.

Last.fm

Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:42 am

I'm watching the women's 3rd place match of the Olympics, and was wondering what stadium has Sky Blues written on the stands?

Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:46 pm

Colonel Kurz wrote:
I'm watching the women's 3rd place match of the Olympics, and was wondering what stadium has Sky Blues written on the stands?

City of Coventry Stadium (Ricoh Arena). Coventry City FC's nickname is the Sky Blues.

Not very interestingly, I lived about 10 minutes down the road from that stadium up until 2 months ago.

Last.fm

Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:15 am

Huh, somehow I was under the impression that everything took place in London.

Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:20 am

Colonel Kurz wrote:
Huh, somehow I was under the impression that everything took place in London.

That's the case for the majority of events, but football takes place all over the country.

Last.fm

Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:24 am

Yeah, it's all over. I saw two games in Wales.

Notes From Underground - I wasn't really disagreeing about that. I wasn't booing either, until he tried to handball it into the net later on.

Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:16 am

Still only 3 in for fantasy football. Attn: Carmady! Jedi! Circus Freak! Let's make this shit competitive.

Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:17 am

the conformist wrote:
Yeah, it's all over. I saw two games in Wales.

Notes From Underground - I wasn't really disagreeing about that. I wasn't booing either, until he tried to handball it into the net later on.

My apologies; I didn't mean to direct my point at you specifically. I don't mind people booing Suarez: fan reaction is a key element of football and it gives it that pantomime feel – although we could do without expletives and threats. Our fans have a habit of booing during national anthems, and no matter what their justification, I would really like it if we stopped doing that.

Last.fm

Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:05 pm

First game and it was already so bad. This doesn't bode well... :(

Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:24 pm

the conformist wrote:
Still only 3 in for fantasy football. Attn: Carmady! Jedi! Circus Freak! Let's make this shit competitive.

I do intend to get in on this once I've returned to civilisation.

Granted, I'll probably forget about it all approximately three games into the season, but still...

Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:11 am
Profile WWW

How good was the game today, though? Interesting spectacle at least. I was salivating at the thought of some high quality football again, with respect to the Olympics.

Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:48 am

Which game?

Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:54 am

Colonel Kurz wrote:
Which game?

Community Shield. Manchester City beat Chelsea 3-2. Chelsea were 1-0 up (Torres). Ivanovic was sent off for a lunging tackle just before half-time. City scored three fairly quickly after half time (Yaya Toure, Tevez, Nasri). Chelsea pegged one back (Bertrand) late on but it wasn't enough. The cow jumped over the moon. The Little Dog laughed to see such sport. And the dish ran away with the Spoon.

Last.fm

Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:12 pm

the conformist wrote:
How good was the game today, though? Interesting spectacle at least. I was salivating at the thought of some high quality football again, with respect to the Olympics.

Not much of a spectacle, but interesting enough in that it showed a little more of what Rodgers is trying to build. Also, good to see Sterling grab a goal in front of a sizeable home crowd.

Wait, you didn't mean the Livepool-Leverkusen game?

Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:07 pm
Profile WWW

JediMoonShyne wrote:
Not much of a spectacle, but interesting enough in that it showed a little more of what Rodgers is trying to build. Also, good to see Sterling grab a goal in front of a sizeable home crowd.

Wait, you didn't mean the Livepool-Leverkusen game?

Did you see the Europa League qualifier against Gomel? We actually looked quite good; it helped that all Borini and Suarez had to do to beat the offside trap was wait for the ball to be played and run straight through the gaps. If it's always that simple, we should try it more often.

Last.fm

Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:11 pm

Worked hard to defend our runners-up spot in the League Cup last year, crashing out 2-1 to Northampton Town. Could be a long season.

Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:11 pm

the conformist wrote:
Worked hard to defend our runners-up spot in the League Cup last year, crashing out 2-1 to Northampton Town. Could be a long season.

Obligatory:
The fields are green, the skies are blue,
The River Nene goes winding through,
The market square is cobbled stone,
It shakes the old dears to their bones,
A finer Town you'll never see,
A finer Town there'll never be,
big city lights don't bother me,
Northampton Town I'm proud to be…

Last.fm

Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:26 pm

Also, my Fantasy Premier League team (at the moment):

I'm taking a punt on Kagawa because he was impressive for Dortmund. I'm on the Pog bandwagon - even though his goalscoring at Fulham all came in a short period - because he's cheap and has a double game week. Vertonghen is a risk because of AVB's high defensive line, but his goalscoring record for Ajax was good for a defender (thoughts, Kurz?). Fairly sure that Tevez will be first choice for the first few weeks at least, and he's cheap for £9.0m. Then there's Koscielny, who is apparently doubtful (and plays for Arsenal).

Last.fm

Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:14 pm

Hoping for Torres to have a carreer defining season.

Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:05 pm

Damnit, Vertonghen was my ace in the hole. :D

Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:06 pm

Colonel Kurz wrote:
Damnit, Vertonghen was my ace in the hole. :D

Mine is Seb Larsson! His set pieces are works of art. 8-)

Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:28 pm

Armin wrote:
Hoping for Torres to have a carreer defining season.

He'll never repeat what he did in that first season at Anfield.

Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:35 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 1474 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 30  Next