It is currently Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:45 am

Reply to topic  [ 19493 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 382, 383, 384, 385, 386, 387, 388 ... 390  Next
 Sport 
Post Re: Sport

Also, that is a big contract for a one year wonder at RB there, Chip.

Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:08 am

Evil Prevails wrote:
What is this Bradford upside everyone sees, and vice versa the horrible Foles downside? One is constantly injured and (as someone who doesn't follow the Rams) has put up meh numbers all around, and the other is younger, cheaper, did have a season ending injury yes, but also had the best half season run a quarterback has ever had. It's fucking crazy to me that you would actually throw in a draft pick on top of Foles, even a straight up trade and I think the Rams are making out like bandits.

a lotta busy work just to swap Foles/Shady for Bradford/Murray

almost arthouse

Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:30 am
Profile WWW

I'm not sure how I feel exactly about the Murray signing. It's exciting and his running style is probably better suited for the Eagles system, but Murray's age and wear and tear makes me a little nervous. The Matthews signing looks better now though. He'll take the pressure off of Murray so he doesn't have to carry the ball 900 times like he did in Dallas.

Bradford's only a year older than Foles, and people forget Foles hasn't been able to stay on the field in his career either. But anyway, I hate having to keep defending the Bradford/Foles deal so much because I really don't know if Bradford is the answer, but obviously they didn't think Foles was, and judging from how he's looked through most of his time with Philly I tend to agree. That's why I'm giving Bradford the benefit of the doubt considering he languished on a terrible team in St. Louis and he'll be in a much better system and environment in Philly. The guy has always had the makeup of a franchise quarterback, so let's see if Chip Kelly can bring it out of him. They're only committed to him for one year, so it's not like it's a long term risk.

Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:48 pm

Jordan Cameron. Can't hurt I guess, but lets keep Clay too please.

Recently Seen: Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice , Zootopia , 10 Cloverfield Lane

- "How's the pie?"
- "So good..."

Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:43 pm
Profile WWW

Thought on Rams/Eagles trade

I can see St. Louis and Philadelphia making a trade where Philadelphia moves up 10th overall on draft day IF Mariota falls.

Think of it this way. Why would Philadelphia trade for 10th pick now? The trade with the Eagles and Rams is odd enough (QB with injury issues that is a big time cap hit, AND you give up a 2nd to acquire him? Everyone around the Rams knew they were trying to dump him (refusal to restructure, poor pocket presence). There were rumors he may end even getting cut after the season.

If Kelly makes his move now, it lets any team know that is interested in Mariotta that they have to pick for 10th to get Mariota, unless a second move is part of Kelly's plan. Next, what if Mariotta doesn’t fall to 10 and Philadelphia traded for the pick 3 months prior to draft? Thats why the 2nd round pick is conditional, it makes the Rams sure they aren’t getting screwed and if Bradford doesn’t play then the Eagles pay nothing.

I think the 2nd rounder may be Ram insurance. It will force Philadelphia to trade up. Otherwise the Eagles traded foles/2 for Bradford which is strange...I think only reason the Rams are doing this deal is because of the 1.10 pick trade. If that doesn’t happen, the Ram gets a 2nd if Bradford ends up starting.

I think Kelly is using Sam Bradford as a backup plan. I'm not sure what the issue with Foles was (he seemed more than servicable, despite a sophomore slump). The Eagles can trade Bradford to any other team and that 2nd round pick remains with Philadelphia.

I assume the deal is already in place:

Foles/1.20/2016 2nd

for

1.10/Bradford/Rams cut $12m in cap

Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:59 pm

I understand the Foles / Bradford trade perfectly. The logic goes something like this:

"The grass is always greener on the other side of the hill."

In this case, though, the helmet is actually greener for one team. Not that it has much to do with hills or reality.

Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:03 pm

Bradford at OU ran the quickest pace of any offense in the nation, so kelly obviously noticed that and thought his ability to make quick reads/throws was good for his system. It's not that crazy to see what he see's in him.

Murray, Mathews, and Sproles should be more than enough to run the amount of plays he aims to.

Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:54 pm

The article on my ESPN ap said that Kelly was going for the 2009 Oklahoma Sooners. Heh. Well the Colts have been The U centric with signing Gore and Johnson.

The MadMan Reserved 31 Seats
"I think its time we discuss your, uh....philosophy of drug use as it relates to artistic endeavor." -Naked Lunch (1991)

Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:18 pm

MadMan wrote:
The article on my ESPN ap said that Kelly was going for the 2009 Oklahoma Sooners. Heh. Well the Colts have been The U centric with signing Gore and Johnson.

I just find it baffling that Bradford is THAT good where you are taking a 11+ million of a cap hit AND giving up a 2nd round pick.

Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:36 pm

Andrew Ryan wrote:

I just find it baffling that Bradford is THAT good where you are taking a 11+ million of a cap hit AND giving up a 2nd round pick.

They were nearly 50 million under the cap when they made the trade, and there is only one year remaining on Bradford's contract. Money isn't an issue here. If he ends up being a great fit the Eagles will probably resign him at a much more team friendly deal, if not, he walks (or maybe limps) and the Eagles keep looking.

They are taking a risk with Bradford's health, but not a financial risk.

Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:51 am

I think Murray is a bigger risk. However the Eagles can spell him with Matthews (if they are signing him) and Sproles so maybe not. They do still have Sanchez.

Meanwhile I just updated myself on more NFL moves and I still feel behind.

"I think its time we discuss your, uh....philosophy of drug use as it relates to artistic endeavor." -Naked Lunch (1991)

Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:04 am

Glad to see us rid of Mike Wallace and have Kenny Stills in tow. It's weird saying this, but there isn't a move we've made this offseason that I'm actually ashamed of.

Recently Seen: Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice , Zootopia , 10 Cloverfield Lane

- "How's the pie?"
- "So good..."

Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:31 am
Profile WWW

Committing that much money to Suh is risky but if he helps get Miami a playoff spot it will be worth it.

Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:17 am

Von Samuel wrote:
They were nearly 50 million under the cap when they made the trade, and there is only one year remaining on Bradford's contract. Money isn't an issue here. If he ends up being a great fit the Eagles will probably resign him at a much more team friendly deal, if not, he walks (or maybe limps) and the Eagles keep looking.

They are taking a risk with Bradford's health, but not a financial risk.

Based on Chip Kelly's reasoning, I would be surprised if Bradford is an Eagle this fall.

Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:45 am

so they'd probably have to trade something like this year's #1 and #2, next year's #1, and Bradford? Go ahead, Chip.

almost arthouse

Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:04 am
Profile WWW

Sounds like a high price to pay for a position with a low hit-rate, especially with athletic qbs. Remember when the Chargers traded away the #1 pick and used their remaining picks to draft 2 Hall of Famers and a few Pro Bowlers? I do, I do. And Vick, despite never being s huge postseason threat, was good. Just not as good as the #1 pick in the second round.

Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:03 am

The NCAA tournament selection committee is elitist.

To work on something for so long only for it to blow up because they have a clear bias and agenda is frustrating.

Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:39 am

The NCCA tourney committee also has a hard on for Duke. Fuck em.

Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:13 pm

Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:25 am

The Red Wings are playing like shit and they're gonna lose Mike Babcock if they don't pull off something in the playoffs, assuming they make it. We might lose him anyway. Maybe it's for the best since we seem to be losing pace. Maybe a fresh start and some fresh ideas are necessary to make us a legitimate postseason threat again. Datsyuk and Zetterberg aren't getting any younger, and Howard's making a strong case for all the people who have hated him for years. Gustavsson's never healthy anymore and his save percentage is lacking, and Mrazek needs work before he's our number one. We decided to shit the bed precisely when we needed to step up. What's even more frustrating is that nobody wants to call it like it is. Babcock's jumping through hoops to bullshit the press, and even Zetterberg won't show any real frustration. They're gonna keep making excuses until their coveted playoff streak ends and they're no longer a serious contender.

next projection | twitter | frames within frames
| letterboxd

Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:57 pm

what a great time of year it's spring baseball is back and NHL playoffs are about to start.

Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:10 pm

The Cubs still need pitching. I know it's early but I don't see Travis Wood being in the rotation by mid season.

Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:16 pm

Mookie Betts has now earned his awesome ballplayer name.

Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:57 am

Quite-Gone Genie wrote:
Mookie Betts has now earned his awesome ballplayer name.

He's really good. Bogaerts is also starting to play a lot more like the guy he was supposed to be.

Sox pitching has been pretty bad so far, but the offense will still win them a lot of games

Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:06 pm

MadMan wrote:
The Cubs still need pitching. I know it's early but I don't see Travis Wood being in the rotation by mid season.

But they do have secret weapon Joe Maddon

Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:13 pm

cloak wrote:
But they do have secret weapon Joe Maddon

Just wait till he breaks out the ol' intentional walk with the bases loaded trick

Soler's looking great, though.

Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:16 pm

Yes I love Joe. And the kids are hitting. Imagine this offense with Bryant. I can't wait.

Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:58 am

I was making fun of Maddon, FYI

Walking someone with the bases loaded is one of the stupidest things you can do in baseball

Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:56 am

Bandy Greensacks wrote:

Walking someone with the bases loaded is one of the stupidest things you can do in baseball

Could be the lesser of two evils in the right situation though.

Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:16 am

Evil Prevails wrote:

Could be the lesser of two evils in the right situation though.

Statistically, actually never, the probability of a pop-fly out, 6-4-3 double play, a fielded out to second or a simple strikeout all are inherently better plays than simply giving up the run out of fear.

Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:07 am

It's not as if the best hitters in the league are batting .700 with runners on base or hitting a home run every other AB. The odds are still much higher that a hitter will fail than that they'll succeed, especially if you have a good pitcher on the mound.

Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:38 am

Bandy Greensacks wrote:

I didn't notice that post. What I know is that under him the damn Rays became a playoff team.

Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:12 pm

MadMan wrote:
I didn't notice that post. What I know is that under him the damn Rays became a playoff team.

Under Andrew Friedman and company, I'd say. Maddon is a pretty good manager of young players and personalities; his in-game managing is the problem.

Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:14 pm

Edmonton won the McDavid sweepstakes. lol, there goes that generational talent right into the garbage.

Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:04 am

Bandy Greensacks wrote:
Under Andrew Friedman and company, I'd say. Maddon is a pretty good manager of young players and personalities; his in-game managing is the problem.

And now we have him and the Dodgers seem to be doing ok. I was going wtf when he traded Matt Kemp away. The youngn's are doing great tho so I'm happy.

Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:18 am
Profile YIM

Evil Prevails wrote:
Edmonton won the McDavid sweepstakes. lol, there goes that generational talent right into the garbage.

Aren't you gonna look foolish when Mike Babcock goes to Edmonton and takes them to the Stanley Cup in 2016?

| letterboxd

Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:17 pm

B-Side wrote:

Aren't you gonna look foolish when Mike Babcock goes to Edmonton and takes them to the Stanley Cup in 2016?

Babcock to Toronto :)))) fixed

Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:26 pm

the Ducks kit is so horrific i can't believe it has stuck around i wish they went retro.

Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:27 pm

Bryant responds to his poor first outing by going 2-3 the next day. I'm already on the hype train. Now the Cubs still need pitching-Arietta can't do it all by himself. Lester is hopefully due for a correction.

Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:20 pm

Ace wrote:
And now we have him and the Dodgers seem to be doing ok. I was going wtf when he traded Matt Kemp away. The youngn's are doing great tho so I'm happy.

Those were smart moves. LAD needed to start the youth movement. Or at least continue what they begun with Puig.

Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:23 pm

MLS update: Sounders woo!

Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:21 am

Now the Cubs are calling up Addison Russell. I'm so fucking happy to be a Cubs fan right now. The years of suffering could be over in the next few seasons.

Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:31 pm

cloak wrote:
Babcock to Toronto :)))) fixed

That seems to be what all of the commentators are thinking, but Babcock's given no indication he plans on leaving Detroit. He did turn down an offer before the season began, but I'm guessing it's because he just wants more money; not because he wants to leave. I'm guessing he negotiates, gets more money and Holland relinquishes a little more control to Babcock. If we do lose him, I think we should sweep up Claude Julien or Todd McLellan. Blashill isn't leaving the Griffins, but he may very well be in the pipeline if Babcock only sticks around another year or so.

| letterboxd

Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:59 am

I feel sorry for Joe Nathan. Poor bastard. His career might be over.

Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:06 pm

Marktime wrote:
MLS update: Sounders woo!

Pretty!

WCoF I II IIIL'EtàL'Eau한국88ShadowsBerlin thırd ISOLATIONVistaVision

Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:22 pm
Profile WWW

i almost forgot about the mets! nice homestand!

the al east looks cutthroat as ever there is a lot of parity nobody really dominates even on their good years, it's just an eternal bloodbath.

Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:03 pm

MadMan wrote:
Now the Cubs are calling up Addison Russell. I'm so fucking happy to be a Cubs fan right now. The years of suffering could be over in the next few seasons.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

SS Russell
3B Castro
RF Soler
LF Bryant
1B Rizzo
C Schwarber
2B Baez
OF Almora
SuperSub Alcantara

IT'S HAPPENING

Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:56 am

Philadelphia Eagles Rumored to Acquire QB Marcus Mariota in Three-Way Trade

NJ.com's Mark Eckel passes along a "rumor making its rounds in NFL personnel meetings" of the Eagles trading Sam Bradford to the Browns for the No. 19 overall pick in the draft.

The Browns already offered No. 19 to the Rams for Bradford, prior to his trade to Philadelphia. St. Louis didn't accept because it wanted a quarterback, and wound up acquiring Nick Foles. The Browns are "still said to have interest" in Bradford. Per Eckel, the rumor has the Eagles then sending Nos. 19 and 20 -- plus Mychal Kendricks and Fletcher Cox -- to the Titans in exchange for No. 2 overall, where Philly would select Marcus Mariota. Bleacher Report's Jason Cole reported Friday that Bradford currently believes the Eagles may be planning to trade him.

Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:12 am

B-Side wrote:

Holy fuck we maybe possibly got MacT and Kevin Lowe removed from anything to do with on ice stuff. I am officially optimistic about us not ruining McDavid.

Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:33 am

Evil Prevails wrote:
Holy fuck we maybe possibly got MacT and Kevin Lowe removed from anything to do with on ice stuff. I am officially optimistic about us not ruining McDavid.

Something over there clearly needs to change, so this is good news, it seems. Granted, I'm not familiar enough with the organization to have a strong opinion, but I know there's talent on that team that seems to be criminally underutilized.

| letterboxd

Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:22 am
Reply to topic   [ 19493 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 382, 383, 384, 385, 386, 387, 388 ... 390  Next