It is currently Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:05 am

Reply to topic  [ 19493 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 390  Next
 Sport 
Post Re: Sport

Miche' wrote:
He was actually good for Genoa last season, but it's clear he isn't good enough for this level. There were some batshit insane rumours that he was going to use his Italian passport to play for Italy. :-/

He never played for Brazil? I didn't know that.

Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:24 am

Vasco wrote:
He never played for Brazil? I didn't know that.

Twice capped for the Brazilian Olympic side, which is technically U23, so he's eligible to switch.

Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:30 am

Miche' wrote:
Twice capped for the Brazilian Olympic side, which is technically U23, so he's eligible to switch.

The horror.

Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:35 am

Vasco wrote:
The horror.

Vilar

Dellafiore - Felipe - Campagnaro

Schelotto - Motta - Ledesma - Taddei

Osvaldo - Amauri - Zarate

Forza Italia.

Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:44 am

Well, I have Deco and Liedson.

Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:01 am

Vasco wrote:
Well, I have Deco and Liedson.

Liedson is bad. At least Deco (and Pepe) were playing in Portugal at 19-20, although I would say that's still too old to be called a product of another nation's football (for the record I feel the same about Camoranesi, he didn't come to Italy until 24 or so).

Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:04 am

Miche' wrote:
Liedson is bad. At least Deco (and Pepe) were playing in Portugal at 19-20, although I would say that's still too old to be called a product of another nation's football (for the record I feel the same about Camoranesi, he didn't come to Italy until 24 or so).

I didn't mention Pepe because he's injured. :P

And for the record I'm against these conversions.

Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:13 am

Dayz OSU will make a solid tourney run, but they won't win it all. Turner is mostly the driving force of that team-take him out, and they are merely solid at best. We already saw that happen earlier in the season.

Right now I'm feeling The Orange to win it all, but I'm out of my damn mind. Kansas is a safe bet...maybe too safe. So I'm not picking them go that far.

If I had better cable I'd actually try and watch more soccer. I can't wait for the World Cup.

The MadMan Reserved 31 Seats
"I think its time we discuss your, uh....philosophy of drug use as it relates to artistic endeavor." -Naked Lunch (1991)

Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:06 pm

MadMan wrote:
Dayz OSU will make a solid tourney run, but they won't win it all. Turner is mostly the driving force of that team-take him out, and they are merely solid at best. We already saw that happen earlier in the season.

Right now I'm feeling The Orange to win it all, but I'm out of my damn mind. Kansas is a safe bet...maybe too safe. So I'm not picking them go that far.

If I had better cable I'd actually try and watch more soccer. I can't wait for the World Cup.

if he cameback for his senior year we would be the number 1 team in the nation next year. We have the #1 recruiting class coming in.

Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:08 pm

Really....interesting. He should, but then again Oden and Conley should have stayed also, and they didn't. So I wonder if Turner will stick around or head off to the NBA.

"I think its time we discuss your, uh....philosophy of drug use as it relates to artistic endeavor." -Naked Lunch (1991)

Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:27 pm

MadMan wrote:
Really....interesting. He should, but then again Oden and Conley should have stayed also, and they didn't. So I wonder if Turner will stick around or head off to the NBA.

Turner won't stay.. He is going to be the number 2 pick in the draft. After breaking his back this season he would be stupid to stay.

Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:44 pm

Just watched the highlights from last night.

Good win for Inter, but I'm not sure how the referee missed those two penalty claims from corners.

WCoF I II IIIL'EtàL'Eau한국88ShadowsBerlin thırd ISOLATIONVistaVision

Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:45 pm
Profile WWW

Well, that's the odd thing about corners. It's the only time where about 2/3s of the players on the field get packed into a small vicinity. It inevitably gets more physical and...refs always let it go, unless the ball is there to be immediately won. It's weird as hell and doesn't take place anywhere else on the field, but that's just the way it is, I guess. They could definitely start handing out cautions and allowing to re-take corners for such technically 'off the ball' incidents.

Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:38 pm

Who is everyone picking to win the tourney, it's wide open, but I'll say Kansas.

almost arthouse

Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:24 am
Profile WWW

Yes, corners is a grey area when it comes to penalties. You could have one of your players clearly wrestled to the ground and I'd still call you lucky for getting the penalty kick, because for every one that's given there will be another ten that were waved away.

Still, if it makes Chelsea happy to think of it as some kind of mega-conspiracy by UEFA...like last year when everyone conveniently ignored the fact that Barcelona had to play the last 25 minutes with ten men after a bullshit sending-off because it didn't fit with the idea that Ovrebo was on Barca's payroll.

Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:24 am

Dayz wrote:

Turner won't stay.. He is going to be the number 2 pick in the draft. After breaking his back this season he would be stupid to stay.
This is true. Best to make millions in the NBA before his body breaks down.

Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:38 am

Miche' wrote:
Well, that's the odd thing about corners. It's the only time where about 2/3s of the players on the field get packed into a small vicinity. It inevitably gets more physical and...refs always let it go, unless the ball is there to be immediately won. It's weird as hell and doesn't take place anywhere else on the field, but that's just the way it is, I guess. They could definitely start handing out cautions and allowing to re-take corners for such technically 'off the ball' incidents.

Players bumping off one another is to be expected, but it shouldn't be too difficult to spot blatant shirt-tugging or wrestling to the ground. If not, it's just another strong addition to the case for video technology. Re-taking corners isn't a bad idea. A lot of the time you see players holding one another, but the referee blows in favour of the defending team because... well, just because. Re-taking would give referees another option in that kind of situation.

Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:11 am
Profile WWW

Fulham 4 - 1 Juventus: A David Lynch Production

Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:10 am

Miche' wrote:
Fulham 4 - 1 Juventus: A David Lynch Production

:shock:

I am speechless.

Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:13 am
Profile WWW

Terrific performance by Fulham, and they did very well to pick themselves up after that early goal. The scoreline doesn't flatter them at all, especially considering that they must have hit the woodwork two or three times even before scoring the second goal. I feel that the Cannavaro red was a little harsh, though it was a rather cynical tug by the defender, as was the penalty decision later on. That said, Zamora was walking all over Cannavaro before he received his marching orders anyway. Dempsey's goal was outstanding.

Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:14 pm
Profile WWW

Lyon v Bordeaux
Man Utd v Bayern

Arsenal v Barcelona
Inter v CSKA

There will be no shame in us doing the expected and losing to Barcelona. However, if we completely embarrass ourselves/lose by a couple at the Emirates then I will probably kill something.

Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:34 pm

Couldn't have gone worse for Arsenal, really. Favourites Barcelona and then a potential clash against Inter in the semi finals. Manchester, on the other hand, have been handed something of a kind draw, all things considered.

Liverpool can hopefully surpass Benfica in their quarter final, but will face either Valencia or Atletico if that happens.

Fulham v Wolfsburg
Hamburg v Standard Liege
Valencia v Atletico Madrid
Benfica v Liverpool

Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:49 pm
Profile WWW

Wouldn't be magical if Fabregas scored the winning goal and gave the Gunners' logo a kiss on Camp Nou? Seriously. I can dream.

Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:59 pm

This is like the sports equivalent of blue balls.

Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:40 am

Beau wrote:
This is like the sports equivalent of blue balls.

"That was a short game."
"Still, we clearly dominated, had the better chances and that was a clear penalty."

Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:52 am

Riquelme looked pissed. There's a self-righteous aspect to his anger that I find hilarious. He doesn't get loudly angry or obnoxiously angry. He just looks on with bewildered eyes as if he had been deeply offended.

Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:01 am

NFL gives compensatory draft selections

Facebook account, you're free to add me.

I AM THE NIGHT!!!*
Futurama.
Deadliest Warrior.
My nerdiest moment.
Favorite intros.
FMA*
The Spectacular Spider-Man
The Beatles*

* = Unfinished

Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:28 pm

Heh, this should just be renamed "The Football" (soccer for us dumb Americans :P) thread.

Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:00 am

The NFL change playoffs' OT rule.

Facebook account, you're free to add me.

I AM THE NIGHT!!!*
Futurama.
Deadliest Warrior.
My nerdiest moment.
Favorite intros.
FMA*
The Spectacular Spider-Man
The Beatles*

* = Unfinished

Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:09 am

Wolf of the Winter wrote:

I guess this makes sense.

almost arthouse

Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:43 pm
Profile WWW

isn't it just during the playoffs though?

Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:13 pm

I assume most Americans have seen this already, but I only just stumbled across it.

Ridiculous footage from a 1994 High School Football game in Texas. Plano East is down 41-17 with 3 minutes to go:

Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:40 pm
Profile WWW

JediMoonShyne wrote:
I assume most Americans have seen this already, but I only just stumbled across it.

Ridiculous footage from a 1994 High School Football game in Texas. Plano East is down 41-17 with 3 minutes to go:

good god

almost arthouse

Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:57 am
Profile WWW

How about that Ronaldo? 23 games from start, 24 goals.

Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:54 am

Here's hoping Miche' isn't feeling too terrified this evening.

Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:51 am
Profile WWW

JediMoonShyne wrote:
Here's hoping Miche' isn't feeling too terrified this evening.

I'm sure that will come tomorrow. Today...today is phenomenal. Had a training session with the fucking senior men's national team coach, and then came home to watch that. Toni, one of my most maligned players, scoring the winner, ahhhhhhhh. :)

Inter couldn't even score a legitimate goal (of course, they did come extremely close with Samuel's header and Milito in the 94th minute, I almost smashed my phone), the bastards. Here's hoping they advance in the CL. Still lots of tough games though, including the derby.

Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:58 am

You should have heard how noisy it was here!

Something of an uncharacteristic error by César for the first goal, but I felt that Roma deserved it overall.

Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:16 am
Profile WWW

JediMoonShyne wrote:
You should have heard how noisy it was here!

Something of an uncharacteristic error by César for the first goal, but I felt that Roma deserved it overall.

Definite error by Cesar. Horrible marking for the 2nd goal too. In general, Inter seemed to really fly recklessly into some challenges, and Pizarro/Menez are very accomplished dribblers and drew some cards (I think a few players are out for Inter this weekend vs. Bologna...hope for a draw at best). Chivu also should have saw straight red for that ridiculous stamp on Toni (even if Toni went down like a six-foot-four bundle of cotton prior).

Inter did have some good chances, especially in the 2nd half, but then again, so did Roma (those two freekicks in the 1st half, a Toni header or two, etc.). Only difference is that Roma actually scored legitimate goals. Of course that crossbar and that post would have changed the result.

Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:20 am

That useless Spanish keeper we've got fucked up again, and in the meantime Chelsea and Manchester United decided to stack up on goals. All we need now is Barca to thump us and it's another "close, but not close enough".

Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:33 am

Roma-Inter was so great, such atomsphere in the Olimpico. Amazing.

It helps that I loathe Inter. Grande Toni!

Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:06 am

Granted, I haven't watched as much soccer as I have other sports, but I have never watched a team score 6 goals in 1 game. Insanity.

Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:29 am

The best first half I've seen Liverpool play all season. Also:

Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:25 am
Profile WWW

Wonderful goal.

Ah, once again Real Madrid come in to the second half and play so much better and just turn the game around. Pellegrini is hunting all sorts of records now, nice. But really, all that matters is winning 12 days from now. Win the classic, win La Liga. Higuaín is in brilliant form, 19 games from start 23 goals! Pretty much the most effective goal scoarer in Europe, I think.

I really wish there was one more team competing for the gold though, it wasn't too long ago Villarreal snatched that 2nd spot. It wasn't too long ago 4 teams were fighting for it until the end. Atlético's defence is a joke, Sevilla and Valencia are uneven and Villarreal don't seem to be winning as much without Pellegrini.

Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:35 pm

Well the NCAA tourney is almost over, and only four teams remain: MSU, Butler, Duke and West Virigina. My feeling is that it will be MSU v. Duke in the title game, with two great HOF coaches putting their legacies on the line once more. We could have an awesome title game, hopefully.

Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:44 am

MadMan wrote:
Well the NCAA tourney is almost over, and only four teams remain: MSU, Butler, Duke and West Virigina. My feeling is that it will be MSU v. Duke in the title game, with two great HOF coaches putting their legacies on the line once more. We could have an awesome title game, hopefully.

I am rooting for the same thing, that would make for a great story and is one of my title pairings (I'm in 4 pools). In one of my bracket pools, some one picked 3 out of the 4 teams, and would have had 4 but had Butler losing in the elite 8.

Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:17 pm

I only had MSU and West Virginia in the Final Four, with WV losing in the title game. I failed to pick Duke, going instead with Syracuse, and I should have known Butler would do something like this-I foolishly went with Notre Dame instead. I wish I had managed to pick 3 out of the 4 teams, but I'll settle for two and a chance to at least finish second or third in my friend's bracket pool.

Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:30 pm

http://footyroom.com/arsenal-2-2-barcelona-2010-03/

What a game.

Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:38 pm
Profile WWW

That was the most utterly ridiculous game ever. It was like three games in one - the first where we got absolutely battered. Bloody hell, it was surreal. It was like we were playing a team from another planet. 72% possession they had at one point, which is just mental. Even top teams like Chelsea can't dominate possession against us at their own home, so they adopt defensive, counter-attacking tactics as a result. Yet Barcelona come to the Emirates and go "fuck it, you won't be getting any of the ball tonight". It was like rape on a football pitch, but it was rape with no end product because it remained 0-0.

Then the second game was more like typical Arsenal - we stopped getting mercilessly destroyed and actually got into the game a bit more, but conceded two stupid goals. Seemingly game over, but then the third side to this ridiculous match was when Denilson and Theo Walcott were like "we're better than this. Let's take these motherfuckers DOWN!" and the motherfuckers got taken down. And Fabregas scores a penalty with a broken leg. You could not make this up.

Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:16 pm

Circus Freak wrote:
That was the most utterly ridiculous game ever. It was like three games in one - the first where we got absolutely battered. Bloody hell, it was surreal. It was like we were playing a team from another planet. 72% possession they had at one point, which is just mental. Even top teams like Chelsea can't dominate possession against us at their own home, so they adopt defensive, counter-attacking tactics as a result. Yet Barcelona come to the Emirates and go "fuck it, you won't be getting any of the ball tonight". It was like rape on a football pitch, but it was rape with no end product because it remained 0-0.

Then the second game was more like typical Arsenal - we stopped getting mercilessly destroyed and actually got into the game a bit more, but conceded two stupid goals. Seemingly game over, but then the third side to this ridiculous match was when Denilson and Theo Walcott were like "we're better than this. Let's take these motherfuckers DOWN!" and the motherfuckers got taken down. And Fabregas scores a penalty with a broken leg. You could not make this up.

Ridiculous, but fantastic for the neutral, as I'm sure you can imagine. I was expecting Barca to take the game to Arsenal from the beginning, but to do so with such overwhelming control seemed to surprise everyone - least not those in red. The only reason the first half ended at 0-0 was because most of the game's chances fell to Ibrahimovic who, despite his two well-taken goals in the second half, seems to have found a niche in the market with his self-founded underperformance club. Technical brilliance is a must, you see, which is why Dimitar Berbatov was made a premium member without even sending in an application form. Just think how many more goals we may have seen last night without those two lethargic Scandinavians in front of goal. You know the other one.

Still, great fight-back from Arsenal. They certainly didn't deserve anything from the game, but didn't allow their heads to drop at any point and seized their chance when it arose. The penalty, as we discussed briefly in the other thread earlier on, was certainly the right decision. The red card was silly. It does, however, leave Barcelona missing their two first-chose centre-backs for the next leg, which is something Arsenal fans can find some solace in. I wouldn't miss for the world.

Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:28 pm
Profile WWW

JediMoonShyne wrote:
Just think how many more goals we may have seen last night without those two lethargic Scandinavians in front of goal. You know the other one.

A strange statement to make, seeing as these lethargic Scandinavians were at the centre of every goal that was scored. Ibrahimovic scored both of Barcelona's, Bendtner set up both of Arsenal's. So actually, without them it may have been 0-0.

Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 19493 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 390  Next