It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:36 pm

Reply to topic  [ 833 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
 Jis Desh Mein Ganga Behti Hai 
Post Re: Jis Desh Mein Ganga Behti Hai

i need to watch eega.

Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:49 am

charulata wrote:
fliegums, you are venturing into all this unexplored territory. I wanna come with but am scared!

But y, Magadheera has been on my to-watch list for a while. Did you actually like it?

Magadheera's CGI-laden second half is lots of fun, reminding me a little of the bonkers artifice of Detective Dee.
plus, all these hyper-commercial macho-blockbusters are helping me overcome the emasculation of house-husbandry

Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:01 am

roujin wrote:
i need to watch eega.

it's so fun, and a great satire of b/k/tollywood machismo, and hero/villain dynamics. sudeep!

Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:23 pm

"...it is fun to see this art-house darling slip into the most mainstream of heroine-moves, gliding about in trademark Yash Chopra chiffons."

EDIT: how did i not know who her mother was until now? :-/

Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:36 pm

thought i was going to see nawazuddin siddiqui dance, too. alas, no. :(

Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:23 pm

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Andaz Apna Apna and Hum Aapke Hain Koun..! in the same year?!? :fresh: :fresh: :fresh:

Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:54 am

I've heard some people say that Andaz Apna Apna is supposed to be a satire of Bollywood, and while I don't find it all that fully formed (this may be from not being especially knowledgeable about then contemporary tropes and cliches), I can definitely see some satirical elements. Either way, it's damn funny. Glad you liked it.

Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:02 am

endless upper-body fetishism and this

= :-|

Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:55 am

that sallu movie looks to be on some city hunter shit

Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:56 am

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image

gloriously messy absurdist screwball. best hindi 2013, surely?

Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:06 pm

What is that?

Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:24 pm

matru ka bijlee ki mandola

Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:03 pm

Zindagi etc: Hrithik is just too pretty, Farhan's Brooksian coiffure is amazing, Abhay (unlike the other two) staunchly refuses to take his shirt off, Kalki is horrible as always but has a nice singing voice, and then they're all demolished by five minutes of Naseeruddin Shah.

Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:33 pm

I like Kalki...

Not really in that one, though.

I'm pretty lukewarm on the movie as a whole. It's not bad or anything, but it gets a little repetitive. It would have worked better if it had focused on just one of the three leads, instead of ensuring that ALL of them learn a life lesson.

Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:32 am

Rock, your av :heart: :heart: :heart:

Podcasts: Cinema on the Road (Ep #29: CHENNAI EXPRESS et al) | They Shot Pictures (Eps #25 & 26:2013 In Review) (w/ roujin, fist & Sean) *NEW

Blog |Twitter |MUBI
Char's Cinematic Caravan | Female Gaze | We Like to Watch | Czechoslovakian New Wave | Charulata's Directors' Throwdown | Director Marathon 1: Jean Renoir

"Life affirming doesn’t mean good things happen." - James Gray

Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:12 pm

went to a baptism. had bhujia as nibbles at the party, and my hopes went up. but for the mains they ordered chinese. was crushed. didn't mention indian cinema once. :(

Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:29 pm

flieger wrote:
went to a baptism. had bhujia as nibbles at the party, and my hopes went up. but for the mains they ordered chinese. was crushed. didn't mention indian cinema once. :(

booo :(

In the meantime, I celebrated my Diwali by watching nothing but Indian films yday. Re-watched Ijaazat and had my heart ripped out. Still so so good. Gulzar's use of ellipses and his ability to show through the most minimal of gestures, the nature of a relationship is just so great. Finally watched Shuddh Desi Romance and it's everything I was hoping for. I can't think of any working Bollywood filmmaker that gets this generations' struggle with navigating the complexities of love and romance as well as he does. He also writes the greatest female characters. Yes, this one and Band Baaja feel like variations on a theme perhaps but I'm ready and waiting for a 100 iterations no this theme if its handled as wonderfully and evocatively as this one. Loved.

Podcasts: Cinema on the Road (Ep #29: CHENNAI EXPRESS et al) | They Shot Pictures (Eps #25 & 26:2013 In Review) (w/ roujin, fist & Sean) *NEW

Blog |Twitter |MUBI
Char's Cinematic Caravan | Female Gaze | We Like to Watch | Czechoslovakian New Wave | Charulata's Directors' Throwdown | Director Marathon 1: Jean Renoir

Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:28 am

that's some good Diwali-watching there, char.
not to be all anti-auteur, but Shuddh's writer, Jaideep Sahni, has done some great character work in the past: Company (swoon!), Khosla Ka Ghosla, Rocket Singh, (even Aaja Nachle [which is why I watched it recently] and Chak De!, I guess...)

Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:27 am

after the intermittently enjoyable/annoying upper-middle class angsts of Zindagi and Ek Main Aur Ekk Tu, had to get back to things like this

Dhanush and Parvathi! :heart:

Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:40 pm

raanjahanaa: not quite yuva (i should watch ayitha ezhuthu, too). dhanush was great, sonam wasn't. plus, Holi montages.
Image Image

Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:47 am

fliegums, you should watch Dhanush's films with Selvaraghavan. They are not for everyone and almost inevitably kind of fall apart towards the end but Selva definitely has a very distinct vision and I really quite like his films flaws et al.

Blog |Twitter |MUBI

Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:58 pm

will do, after watching all of Shankar's filmography :up:

Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:28 pm

non-diegetic first-musical-scenes aside, this

is the sort of thing Shankar revels in. :fresh:
because you all need to know these things

Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:47 pm

loved this bit

as much as

Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:00 pm

K. Balachander's movies were a big part of my childhood. My mom let me watch them with her despite inappropriateness etc.. Also, omg Kamal and Sridevi are so young in that clip <3

Blog |Twitter |MUBI

Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:55 am

charulata wrote:
K. Balachander's movies were a big part of my childhood. My mom let me watch them with her despite inappropriateness etc.. Also, omg Kamal and Sridevi are so young in that clip <3

just the one Balachander film on KG, too. :( been getting these Tamil films off of public trackers *shudders*
Sridevi.... erm, I didn't realise she was that young. fucking hell.

Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:43 am

hoi vey. i doubt that's feasible. somehow i think wiki has her age wrong here. that's no 13-yr old, right : |?

Blog |Twitter |MUBI

Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:25 am

she was 50 this year... so, :-|

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Aaranya Kaandam - Tamil neo-noir, made me miss Linda Fiorentino and the (long-gone) days when I actually enjoyed this sort of thing. blergh.

Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:26 am

Iqbal: Ickbal

Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:26 pm

Shalini!
but then Mani does this to her
covering every single strand... :-/

Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:20 am

awww, love that movie. And her.

Blog |Twitter |MUBI

Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:38 am

and then in Ek Doctor Ki Maut we get this exponent of pink-garbed, pasty Englishness inhabiting the same frame as Shabana Azmi. So cruel! :D
Image Image
Image Image

Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:54 am

pretty accurate really :D but y, that movie is so good, per my recollection anyway. pankaj forevs <3

Blog |Twitter |MUBI

Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:56 am

charulata wrote:
I really can't wait to watch Kadal.

sort of like an expansion of raavan's central concerns, esp. bodily sensuality and the elements. gorgeous.

Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:22 pm

charu needs to watch ram leela yesterday. holy shit, deepika!!!!!!

Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:06 am

roujin wrote:
charu needs to watch ram leela yesterday. holy shit, deepika!!!!!!

it's not playing here :( They advertised that it's playing this week but looks like it just got canceled. Is it your fav. Bhansali then?

Blog |Twitter |MUBI

Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:56 am

Deepika has never looked better. And Ranveer!!!

Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:03 am

roujin wrote:

oh my!! WAAAANT!

Blog |Twitter |MUBI

Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:24 am

Soumitra Chatterjee got uglier with each passing year, didn't he

* Birth Certificate / Różewicz
Bush Mama / Gerima
** Paris Is Burning / Livingston
The Love Witch / Biller
Edward Hopper / Peck
Les signes / Green
Time and Tide / Hutton
* Ordinary Matter / Frampton
Vertical Features Remake / Greenaway
* Chickens / Amiralay

TWEET1 | TWEET2 | FACE | BOXD | TUMBL1 | TUMBL2

Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:00 pm

roujin wrote:

Supriya Pathak best thing about the movie though.

Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:52 pm

I ended up seeing Ijaazat last week, which I believe was mentioned a few pages ago. I wanted to like it more than I did, but Anuradha Patel's character felt too broadly drawn and out of a different, more melodramatic movie. It bothered me more than it probably should have, given how good everything else in the film is.

I also saw Disco Dancer. Sublime trash.

Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:11 am

Rock wrote:
I ended up seeing Ijaazat last week, which I believe was mentioned a few pages ago. I wanted to like it more than I did, but Anuradha Patel's character felt too broadly drawn and out of a different, more melodramatic movie. It bothered me more than it probably should have, given how good everything else in the film is.

I don't disagree and that to me is the one possible flaw in the film.. she has some terrible lines too. But yeah, while it doesn't bother me much at all, I get your issues with it.

Quote:
I also saw Disco Dancer. Sublime trash.

hahaha.... I don't think I've ever seen that legendary film in its entirety but I wanna :D

Blog |Twitter |MUBI

Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:56 am

I'm going to watch Rockstar today. Thank/blame PTP freeleech.

Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:20 am

oh boy

Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:51 am

we had a very long discussion of that one on the poooodcast

Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:51 am

Trip wrote:
I'm going to watch Rockstar today. Thank/blame PTP freeleech.

oh my!

Blog |Twitter |MUBI

Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:44 pm

Chori Chori is over at ptp! (fuck u kg)

Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:40 pm

raj kapoor > clark gable

Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:46 pm

flieger wrote:
raanjahanaa: not quite yuva (i should watch ayitha ezhuthu, too). dhanush was great, sonam wasn't. plus, Holi montages.
Image Image

Awww, such a flawed film and yet so filled with promise. I liked a lot of things about it. It takes a familiar tamil-film trope wherein the lower in social station hero falls for the seemingly unattainable girl and basically stalks her incessantly till she buckles and gives in .. but then subverts it by highlighting the inherent creepiness and selfishness of the situation. I really like the complex dynamics in the first half where every one of Sonam's gestures could easily be read as merely friendly or as loaded with meaning and flirtation (per Dhanush) or manipulative (per Dhanush's friends) and specially love how the songs really help propel the story along and reveal characters' emotions etc. instead of merely serving as pretty montages (which they absolutely are incidentally). But then the second half is really silly and plotty in dumb ways and Sonam just doesn't have the chops to carry the anger and the idealism + jealousy and so on that are required of her at that point. Dhanush does his best and is great throughout but I was significantly less invested at that point and a bit perturbed that he is cast in almost a heroic light as some kind of martyr. Still, definitely one of the better Bollywood films from 2013.

fliegie, assuming you're still alive, you should definitely watch Mouna Ragam and Ayitha Ezhuthu... this film has echoes from both of those films as well as Selva's films with Dhanush.

Blog |Twitter |MUBI

Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:07 pm

tamil tropes: amaze-balls, esp. the creepiness

will need to learn tamil to see the remainder of mani's films, i think. in the meantime, will just watch thalapathi on an endless loop.

Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:44 pm
Reply to topic   [ 833 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next