It is currently Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:03 am

Reply to topic  [ 2165 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44
 Maiden's Voyage 
Post Re: Maiden's Voyage

American Honey.

I haven't seen such an immersive film since Jia Zhangke's Still Life. It really feels like there's this world beyond the camera that we're afforded merely a glimpse of. You could say I was bored during a few brief stretches, but even that felt purposeful. And besides, I could always reliably count on some transcendent scene being just around the corner, so it was all worth it. And the characters all felt so lived-in. As if they'd had two or three seasons to adjust. Even the big movie star in the cast, the revitalized, arty version of Shia, who for the last few years has been going the James Franco route of perpetual performance art, minus the latter's penchant for reefer comedies and arch-ironic appearances in soap operas.

Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:39 am

Beau wrote:
I haven't seen such an immersive film since Jia Zhangke's Still Life. It really feels like there's this world beyond the camera that we're afforded merely a glimpse of. You could say I was bored during a few brief stretches, but even that felt purposeful. And besides, I could always reliably count on some transcendent scene being just around the corner, so it was all worth it.
I know, right?! The cast, professional and not, are just right. And transcendent is a great word for some really unforgettable moments in this.

I updated that post, by the way, adding Chevalier and The Edge of Seventeen. In case anyone's keeping track...

The Dressmaker ▪ Cameraperson ▪ Tale of Tales ▪ Maggie's Plan ▪ The Handmaiden ▪ Neon Bull ▪ Sweet Bean ▪ Captain Fantastic ▪ Under the Shadow ▪ The Love Witch ▪ I Am Not Your Negro ▪ Queen of Katwe ▪ Enter the Dragon

Voyage | Female Gaze | MACBETH | Sokurov | Fassbinder | Greenaway | Denis | Book Shelf

Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:46 am

Toni Erdmann was my all. I haven't been so transfixed by a movie in some time. Reportedly, it's two hours and a half, but it felt like 90 minutes. The camerawork seems pedestrian at first glance, but along with the sound design it does wonders to build a space around the characters, which is important because the whole movie's about how the characters relate that (social) space around them. Special stuff. There's a scene of transcendent (there's that word again) comedy of awkwardness near the end (you can imagine which) that had me doing cartwheels on my sofa, as I was both unable to look and even more incapable of looking away.

Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:21 pm

I'll watch that one again soon. It's the kind of movie (the squirmy, awkward kind that Ade is soooo good at) that I have trouble with the first time. And, yeah, I think I know the scene you're talking about. It made me giddy. :)

The Dressmaker ▪ Cameraperson ▪ Tale of Tales ▪ Maggie's Plan ▪ The Handmaiden ▪ Neon Bull ▪ Sweet Bean ▪ Captain Fantastic ▪ Under the Shadow ▪ The Love Witch ▪ I Am Not Your Negro ▪ Queen of Katwe ▪ Enter the Dragon

Voyage | Female Gaze | MACBETH | Sokurov | Fassbinder | Greenaway | Denis | Book Shelf

Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:08 am

Another update to my 2016 post, now that I've seen Queen of Katwe and The Love Witch.

Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:06 pm

Beau wrote:
Toni Erdmann was my all. I haven't been so transfixed by a movie in some time. Reportedly, it's two hours and a half, but it felt like 90 minutes. The camerawork seems pedestrian at first glance, but along with the sound design it does wonders to build a space around the characters, which is important because the whole movie's about how the characters relate that (social) space around them. Special stuff. There's a scene of transcendent (there's that word again) comedy of awkwardness near the end (you can imagine which) that had me doing cartwheels on my sofa, as I was both unable to look and even more incapable of looking away.

:fresh:

I saw it with a cast Q&A after. Wonderfully awkward.

Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:10 pm
Profile WWW

I should see American Honey.

Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:11 pm
Profile WWW

Oh, you should! You'll love it, guaranteed!

Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:59 am

I've added three more to my Women of 2016 post, bringing the total to...yes, sixteen! It really has been a good year, I think. And this was a fun project, but I wish now I hadn't put all the films in one post. :-/

Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:26 am

Ya, American Honey is good.

Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:23 pm

Of course it is.

Too bad I can't recommend it to many local cinephiles, many of whom are affiliated with the Anti-Pretension Brigade.

Still, some good things come from reading their preferences. Yesterday I watched Amityville 2: The Possession, a film I'd have never seen if it hadn't been for a certain Facebook thread, and it was indescribably awesome. There's some really cool camera work and atmosphere. Also, besides the paranormal stuff, there's some mundane everyday horror, like domestic violence, that gives the script interesting depth and layering. Still pretty campy in spots, but in a good way. Also, incest.

Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:10 am

Eminence Grise wrote:
Ya, American Honey is good.
Isn't it? :heart:

Beau wrote:
Too bad I can't recommend it to many local cinephiles, many of whom are affiliated with the Anti-Pretension Brigade.
Is it pretentious? It's practically reality TV! I guess I can't tell anymore.

Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:32 am

Shieldmaiden wrote:
Isn't it? :heart:

Is it pretentious? It's practically reality TV! I guess I can't tell anymore.

It's long and meandering and has interminable takes of people just existing in front of depressing backdrops.

So, yeah. It's no Amityville 2: The Possession.

Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:40 am

This thread is only about 15000 page views shy of half-a-million!

It should be. It's a good thread.

in progress:
BIC Bicycle Thieves/Beijing Bicycle Es1, 4 Rv1 DP
BOU La Guerre des Boutons/War of the Buttons Es1 2 3 4 Rv1 Sc
BRH Battle Royale/Hunger Games Es1 Sc Rv1 2
BRN Tom Brown's Schooldays Es 1 2 Sc Mu
DRB Devil's Backbone/Dorm Es1 2 Sc
HEL Mayor of Hell/Crime School/Hell's Kitchen DP Rv1 Es1
PAI Pinocchio/A. I. Es2 Rv1 DP Mu
SKN Victim/Skin I Live In Es1 3 Dir Rv1 2
TNS Tingler/Creeps/Slither Rv1 Rv2 Es1 SFX
TZN Tarzan of the Apes/Tarzan the Ape Man/Greystoke Script Rv1 2 3 Es1 2 3

The Future Unreels

trxbooks.com

Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:24 am

Aw, thanks. But, you're one to talk! You and charulata have all the lurker fans. :)

Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2165 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44