It is currently Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:48 pm

Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ] 
 NAMELESS watches ANIME ^_^ 
Post NAMELESS watches ANIME ^_^

I just picked Crunchyroll as my go to streaming service so nothing but anime from here on out. The YMCA doesn't understand anime so I need a new home to talk to myself about what I'm watching. I have a list of things I'm going to watch and will talk about them at my leisure. This is a general thread so feel free to discuss anything anime, you filthy degenerates

First on my list is - JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (2014)

JoJo is what happens when you watch Fist of the North Star on hallucinogens. Set in late 1800s England, a plucky youth named Johnathan Joestar's pompous life is turned upside down when a complete thundercunt named Dio is adopted into his family in wake of the death of Dio's father. Dio is just THE WORST and messes everything up, eventually turning into a vampire due to a cursed mask and plotting to take over the world and whatnot. So Johnathan Joestar sets out on a... BIZARRE ADVENTURE which pits him against zombies, vampires, and ultra muscular dudes as he learns the secrets of Hamon, a martial art which channels the power of sunlight and can defeat vampires, and thus Dio.

The show has an obsession with classic rock with characters all named after famous classic rock acts (I lol'd hard at "Robert E O Speedwagon"). JoJo himself is named after the character "Jojo" referenced in Beatles songs. Every episode ends on the opening of Roundabout by Yes. There are numerous pop culture, literary, and musical references and generally it's like England's occult history gets thrown into an ultra-stylistic anime blender and the result is sooooo entertaining. If anything, watch the first few episodes just to get a taste of how much of a dick Dio is, because he's, like, my favorite villain ever already.

Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:50 am
Post Re: NAMELESS watches ANIME ^_^

I keep meaning to watch more anime. I can't promise that I'll take any recommendations from this thread though, gotta get through my "to-watch" list first. (but I'll be following!)

Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:22 am

And I thought Audrey Horne had the best cherry-in-mouth game. That guy is in a league of his own.

Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:38 am

I also watched Space Patrol Luluco, a short series by Trigger animation who is responsible for the likes of Kill La Kill and Gurren Lagann

This show is an exercise in brevity with episodes capping at 5 minutes and seasons lasting 3 episodes (13 episodes in total), it covers a lot of ground very quickly. Luluco just wants to normally live a normal life but her mom's a space pirate and her dad's a space patrol officer who gets frozen and in order to revive him Luluco must work for the space patrol which, like, gives her the ability to morph her body into a gun of pure justice to which she must capture space criminals. Wacky shenanigans ensue, love is found on the battlefield, hearts are literally broken, and ultimately love conquers all - including transdimensional black hole demons. Trigger is the best, I'll be doing a write up on Kill La Kill

Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:02 am

It's been quite awhile since I've seen a good anime. Real anime, not that Ameri-me like Castlevania .

For nostalgia, I did recently add Robot Carnival and Arcadia of My Youth to my Prime list. Probably a good 25 years since I've seen either.

Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:38 am

Jinnistan wrote:
I did recently add Robot Carnival and Arcadia of My Youth to my Prime list.

Me too, although I've never seen either. Good stuff?

Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:06 am

Captain Terror wrote:
Me too, although I've never seen either. Good stuff?

Great-to-good, but also classic by their vintage alone.

Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:26 am

I want to watch Robot Carnival, looks like Katsuhiro Otomo of Akira fame has hand in it, and the score's done by Joe Hisaishi. Nice

Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:32 am

I still need to watch my copy of the Cutie Honey series. The movie is awesome!

Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:01 am

ski petrol wrote:
I still need to watch my copy of the Cutie Honey series. The movie is awesome!
I want to watch that movie, Hideaki Anno is awesome. Did you ever watch Shin Godzilla? If you like Cutie Honey move onto some Gainax series starting with Evangelion

Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:10 am

The Nameless One wrote:
I want to watch that movie, Hideaki Anno is awesome. Did you ever watch Shin Godzilla? If you like Cutie Honey move onto some Gainax series starting with Evangelion

I have not seen Shin Godzilla but am familiar with the name Hideaki Anno.

Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:16 am

Despite being such a big fan of Bebop, I've only really watched a handful of anime series besides that one, so I probably won't be able to comment on most of these, but I still approve of this new undertaking of yours anyway, Nameless :fresh:

Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:36 pm

Am I on an island when I state that anime is my least favorite genre. In least favorite meaning zero interest.

Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:06 pm

John Dumbear wrote:
Am I on an island when I state that anime is my least favorite genre. In least favorite meaning zero interest.
By posting in this thread it indicates that you have a bare minimal level of interest. Anime is a huge mistake, don't get me wrong, but good anime stands up with the best of any content. I can point you in the right direction. Also, anime isn't a genre it's a medium, within anime is every genre. There are films, TV shows, shorts, etc. It just depends on what you are looking for

Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:52 am

I'm trying to think of ways to inject this thread with content. I'm only one person! Surely more people here watch anime... Watch some Ghibli, Katsuhiro Otomo, or Satoshi Kon!

Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:57 am

The Nameless One wrote:
Satoshi Kon!

I love Satoshi Kon's films and also Paranoia Agent. I think that his work really shows how animation can be harnessed to tell stories with adult themes and storylines. Millenium Actress was a film that really made me rethink the way that animation can be used.

Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:21 am

Takoma1 wrote:
I love Satoshi Kon's films and also Paranoia Agent. I think that his work really shows how animation can be harnessed to tell stories with adult themes and storylines. Millenium Actress was a film that really made me rethink the way that animation can be used.
I recommend this youtube video which breaks down his use of match cuts:

Kon chose animation over live action because it would simply be impossible to film his stories, his pace of editing transcends the capability of film. Millennium Actress is my favorite of his, it's a formal masterpiece on top of being a masterpiece itself. I hope one day we see the release of his Dreaming Machine

Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:35 am

The Nameless One wrote:
I recommend this youtube video which breaks down his use of match cuts:

Kon chose animation over live action because it would simply be impossible to film his stories, his pace of editing transcends the capability of film. Millennium Actress is my favorite of his, it's a formal masterpiece on top of being a masterpiece itself. I hope one day we see the release of his Dreaming Machine

I hadn't seen that video before--thanks!

I think that Kon, maybe more than any director, captures subjectivity and experience and the way that dreams, experiences, and memories become intertwined and how our minds zip from one to the other. I also like the degree to which he seems to trust his audience to understand information and emotion, such as the example in the video of not having to show the girl actually picking up the key.

I'm not up to speed with the anime world enough to know how complete Dreaming Machine was at the time of his death. While I would love another Kon film, I think I'd have mixed feelings if, say, 60% of the work was done without his input.

This is a good reminder that I've been meaning to rewatch Perfect Blue. It was the first film of his that I ever watched, back when I was a teenager, and I was not ready for what it was.

Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:53 am

Perfect Blue is a great film for a person trepidatious towards anime but likes cinema. Watch it, Dumbear!

Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:00 am

Hope this thread is alive and well when CASTLEVANIA s2 drops.

Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:24 am

Kino's Journey (2003) is the best anime series I've watched lately. It's about a young lady who travels the world on a talking motorcycle. Strange how that would sound ridiculous in any other genre besides anime.

Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:33 am

Torgo wrote:
Kino's Journey (2003) is the best anime series I've watched lately. It's about a young lady who travels the world on a talking motorcycle. Strange how that would sound ridiculous in any other genre besides anime.
That one is on my list, I've heard real good things. What exactly is the draw of the series, like, what genre and such?

Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:02 am

I think Tokyo Godfathers is still my favorite. I got to see Paprika in the theater. That was awesome.

Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:23 am

The Nameless One wrote:
That one is on my list, I've heard real good things. What exactly is the draw of the series, like, what genre and such?
Hard to say. It doesn't quite fit into any particular genre. Dystopian sci-fi is the closest one I can think of. Without spoiling things too much, the main character travels to various fictional countries, each one coping with a societal issue (religion, totalitarianism, loneliness, war, etc.) Like other Japanese dystopian works like Battle Royale, it's light-hearted at one moment and incredibly dark and disturbing the next.

Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:54 am

Smoke Bomb wrote:
Hope this thread is alive and well when CASTLEVANIA s2 drops.

https://www.reddit.com/r/television/com ... h=4e73291d !!!!!!

Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:19 am

Oo, that looks hot. Full on Castlevania 3, I'm stoked. October 26th is earlier than I expected given they delayed it for more episodes

Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:24 am

The Nameless One wrote:
Oo, that looks hot. Full on Castlevania 3, I'm stoked. October 26th is earlier than I expected given they delayed it for more episodes

I’m 85% sure we got a peak of Grant in there too.

Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:25 am

The Nameless One wrote:

Kino is fun, and one of the better anime series of the aughts, but I prefer, and highly recommend, director Ryutaro Nakamura's Serial Experiments Lain, a 20-year-old anime series about the very real relationship between the "internet of things" and psychological dissolution which the American public is only just beginning to realize in their foolish relevance haste.

Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:04 am

A very nice copy of Oshii's Angel's Egg for anyone who hasn't seeen it.

Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:36 am

I'm pretty blind to Lain, though I'm aware of it's reputation. I'll throw it on the list, I could use some good cyberpunk

After JoJo I'm tackling Trigger's newest series, Darling in the Franxx. I'm expecting horny depressed teens and giant robots, plus existential God-ridden angst

Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:37 am

Finally got around to Robot Carnival this weekend and it's full of eye candy. Good stuff.

Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:41 am

Is Space Adventure Cobra any good? I remember the video for Matthew Sweet's "Girlfriend" used clips from it and I always wanted to check it out.

Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:09 am
Reply to topic   [ 32 posts ]