It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:52 pm

Reply to topic  [ 1295 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next
 Recommended Readings: Reviews, Writings and Rants 
Post Re: Recommended Readings: Reviews, Writings and Rants

In a word, I think that, far from favoring directors’ formal inventiveness, widescreen, instead, stifles it. It is, I’m more and more persuaded, if not the only, at least the main culprit for the expressive poverty of the image today. - Eric Rohmer
Vimeo / / / Flickr

Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:51 am

Am currently reading this book of interviews with Rohmer. Utterly delightful thus far and I am only two interviews in. The interviews are in chronological order so the two I've read are pretty much exclusively about the Six Moral Tales and his involvement with Cahiers etc.
Anyway, lots of great stuff but wanted to share this bit on shooting in color vs. b&w.

This question comes right after a discussion on how the six films are all shot in a collection of formats... 3 in B&W, 2 in 16mm and osme in color and so on and Rohmer's explanation on why he chose to shoot Maud in B&W.
Quote:
Graham Petrie: So you don't agree with directors like Antonioni who say it's no longer possible to make films in B&W and that all films should be in color?
ER: I would agree that nowadays the normal thing would be to make films in color, and it might seem a bit archaic to film in B&W. And yet I don't agree really. I think that man has a very strong feeling for B&W; it doesn't just exist in photography, it's there in drawings and engravings too -- painters created pictures in color, but they also worked in B&W for drawings and engravings, in order to create a certain effect. As a result I think that B&W is now accepted by the public, and so I think that people are wrong when they say that B&W is impossible nowadays. It's a very curious phenomenon. I think that B&W will always exist, even if it's true that it will be an exception and the use of color will be standard. However, it's quite certain that at the moment filmmakers aren't particularly inspired by color; most films in color have the same banal look about them. for me color has to contribute something to a film, if it doesn't do this, I prefer B&W for, despite everything, it gives a kind of basis, a unity, which is more useful to a film than color badly used.

GP: What would you say color contributes to La Collectionneuse and Le Genou de Claire?
ER: I didn't use color as a dramatic element, as some filmmakers have doe. For me it's something inherent in the film as a whole. I think that in La Collectionneuse color above all heightens the sense of reality and increases the immediacy of the setings. In this film color acts in an indirect way; it's not direct and there aren't any color effects, as there are for example in Bergman's most recent film, his second one in color, where the color is very deliberately worked out and he gets his effects mainly by the way he uses red. I've never tried for dramatic effects of this kind, but, for example, the sense of time -- evening, morning, and so on -- can be rendered in a much more precise way through color. Color can also give a stronger sense of warmth, of heat, for when the film is in B&W you get less of a feeling of the different moments of the day, and there is less of what you might call a tactile impression about it. In Le Genou de Claire, I think it works in the same way: the presence of the lake and the mountains is stronger in color than in B&W, it's a film I couldn't imagine in B&W. The color green seems to me essential in that film; I couldn't imagine it without the green in it. And the blue too -- the cold color as a whole. This film would have no value for me in B&W. It's a very difficult thing to explain. It's more a feeling I have that can't be reasoned out logically.

Source: Film Quarterly 24, No. 4 (Summer 1971)

Podcasts: Cinema on the Road (Ep #29: CHENNAI EXPRESS et al) | They Shot Pictures (Eps #25 & 26:2013 In Review) (w/ roujin, fist & Sean) *NEW

Blog |Twitter |MUBI
Char's Cinematic Caravan | Female Gaze | We Like to Watch | Czechoslovakian New Wave | Charulata's Directors' Throwdown | Director Marathon 1: Jean Renoir

"Life affirming doesn’t mean good things happen." - James Gray

Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:28 am

so good, thanks for transcribing

city films are so perfect for black and white. adore Maud's partially for that reason

In a word, I think that, far from favoring directors’ formal inventiveness, widescreen, instead, stifles it. It is, I’m more and more persuaded, if not the only, at least the main culprit for the expressive poverty of the image today. - Eric Rohmer
Vimeo / / / Flickr

Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:33 am

http://www.indiewire.com/article/how-ma ... eaderPanel

Kurz, they be slamming Rotterdam.

Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:33 am
Profile WWW

Rohmer was good people.

next projection | twitter | frames within frames
| letterboxd

Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:35 pm

Spengo wrote:
http://www.indiewire.com/article/how-many-bad-movies-does-it-take-to-ruin-a-film-festival-this-years-rotterdam-has-the-answer?page=1#articleHeaderPanel

Kurz, they be slamming Rotterdam.

Well. I do agree that some of Wolfson major programme sections have been questionable to say the least, in the past few years, but other than that it feels to me like the author has that kind of critic's tunnel vision that is a consequence of the luxury of having the access to all (important?) film festivals year round. I mean, where else would I be able to see Norte, the End of History? It's not like that will ever see a regular release anywhere. I mean, Neil Young regarded Kim's 3-Iron and Denis' L'intrus as worthwile discoveries in Rotterdam in 2005 - in fact, as the best day he's ever had at the fest, movies that had already played at Venice and Toronto and the like - I wouldn't be surprised that now, as a seasoned critic who goes to Cannes and Venice yearly he wouldn't have regarded those as discoveries in Rotterdam, rather just ignore that they're on the programme at all since he'd already seen them. Having said that, I do remember when looking at this year's programme before going I was glad that this was the first time in years I could only attend for a few days - it didn't look that great - but then again, discovering new things at Rotterdam is always something that requires taking risks and wise planning, and sometimes that can go wrong.

Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:42 pm

This is the closest I can think of for an appropriate place for this, but here's a little mini-doc Vice did on Iranian cinema:

You might not learn anything if you're already familiar with it, but see it through to the end because it ends in a really cool way.

next projection | twitter | frames within frames
| letterboxd

Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:59 am

http://www.soundonsight.org/sleeping-be ... ind-earle/

Disney theme at sound on sight, so I wrote about Sleeping Beauty and Eyvind Earle cause it's precious and pretty

Everything around me is evaporating. My whole life, my memories, my imagination and its contents, my personality - it's all evaporating. I continuously feel that I was someone else, that I felt something else, that I thought something else. What I'm attending here is a show with another set. And the show I'm attending is myself. Fernando Pessoa

Live. Laugh. Love. - Freddy Krueger

Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:36 am

To quote my friend's description:

"One exception to the 'never read the comments' rule: Clueless BBC producer slams "The Act of Killing" as a 'snuff movie', gets utterly taken to school by Indonesian readers."

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... -indonesia

Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:23 am
Profile WWW

Wesley Morris on Looking and the state of gay pop culture

Podcasts: Cinema on the Road (Ep #29: CHENNAI EXPRESS et al) | They Shot Pictures (Eps #25 & 26:2013 In Review) (w/ roujin, fist & Sean) *NEW

Blog |Twitter |MUBI
Char's Cinematic Caravan | Female Gaze | We Like to Watch | Czechoslovakian New Wave | Charulata's Directors' Throwdown | Director Marathon 1: Jean Renoir

Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:08 am

because of TIFF retrospective, watching a bunch of Pasolini for the first time and writing about them. This is my first review for Mamma Roma. I like the ideas of the review even though it's all over the place and a bit under-developed but I'm proud of it

http://www.soundonsight.org/mamma-roma/

Excerpt:

Quote:
In many ways, Mamma Roma represents and embodies the spirit of the Gemini. The Latin word for twins, our understanding of the Gemini emerges from mythological and spiritual history as it does from more popular astrological games. In art, the Gemini is represented literally as disparate figures like the fraternal twins born of the same mother and different fathers in the myth of Castor and Pollux (another allusion to promiscuity as it ties to spiritual embodiment). In the tarot, the Gemini is often depicted by Adam and Eve, both made of the same flesh, inseparable and creators of life. The image is also familiar to that of Rome, the city founded by two young boys, Romulus and Remus — Rome is the city born from the Gemini. Artistically, though, these literal images of two parts are ultimately representations of the contradiction that exists within all of us, but is perhaps more heightened in others. It is the presence of a dominant and submissive personality, the alpha and beta of our spiritual well-being. The image of the ‘twin-force’ pairs powerfully with the inherent conflict that comes when individual meets ideology, the natural contradiction of existing as oneself as well as a larger whole, be it a community, a religion or an economic theory.

Everything around me is evaporating. My whole life, my memories, my imagination and its contents, my personality - it's all evaporating. I continuously feel that I was someone else, that I felt something else, that I thought something else. What I'm attending here is a show with another set. And the show I'm attending is myself. Fernando Pessoa

Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:08 pm

http://www.filmcomment.com/article/aute ... -auteurism

kent jones 4-eva.

Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:10 am

Quote:
those of us who won’t rest until Douglas Sirk replaces Lincoln on the five-dollar bill
:heart:

Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:55 am

not born in the us, will never happen :/

Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:11 pm

http://www.filmkrant.nl/world_wide_angle/8415

I was like, hey, Trip's sig is pretty awesome. So I was like, let's search for it on Google. Then I found that article and I'm like, hey, this is pretty awesome, who wrote it? And then I was like, oh, figures.

Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:06 am

Nice.
Quote:
They know, too, that the emotion of the spectator can be aroused, channelled and controlled through such intricate, multi-levelled procedures. It is a difficult process to describe and explain, because it is not necessarily tied to — although it interacts powerfully with — specific filmic characters and what they do in the story.

It is an aesthetic ideal — purely plastic emotions, feelings aroused through the shapes, structures and patterns of form — that attracts many filmmakers, because (as philosopher Suzanne Langer discussed in her crucial 1953 book Feeling and Form) it lines up all art forms under the umbrella of music, the most abstract yet also most emotional art.
I think about this a lot. I know it works, but I want to know how!

Wonder Woman ▪ The Running Man ▪ Mohabbatein ▪ Veer-Zaara ▪ Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 ▪ Pierrot le fou ▪ Highway ▪ Leningrad Cowboys Go America ▪ Band Baaja Baaraat ▪ Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi ▪ Jab We Met

Voyage | Female Gaze | MACBETH | Sokurov | Fassbinder | Greenaway | Denis | Book Shelf

Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:51 am

ledfloyd wrote:
http://www.filmcomment.com/article/auteur-theory-auteurism

kent jones 4-eva.

I like Jones generally, but it's difficult to see what he's arguing for, here.

I think the essentialist tendency Jones points out exists. I also think most auteurists deal with the problem relatively early in their life. One cool grace note does not a good director make. I thought we all knew this.

And there are some blatant mischaracterizations. Sez Jones "To take Bazin’s objections seriously would be to admit that Hitchcock and Rossellini and Ray operated under constraints and conditions..." If such was the case, Sarris certainly took the objections seriously: "To look at a film as the expression of a director's vision is not to credit the director with total creativity. All directors, and not just in Hollywood, are imprisoned by the conditions of their craft and their culture."

Even when Jones is giving props, he's not totally correct. He sez that auteurists "didn’t just argue for its inclusion among the fine arts, but actually stood up, waved its flag, and proclaimed its glory without shame," but this is not really an auteurist achievement. People were eager to claim ownership of cinema as an artform from its inception. <i>Battleship Potemkin</i> and Eisenstein were revered long before the politique came around. Auteurism in America's primary achievement was rescuing Hollywood directors from film history, often at the expense of the Euro-Artistes (Bergman, Fellini, etc) that were dominating film conversations when Sarris first started polemicizing.

It seems to me that ragging on auteurism isn't particularly interesting, either, especially since contemporary auteurism seems to be simplified into nothingness. "If...all that auteurism represents is an emphasis on directors, this so-called theory should be banished for its banality."

Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:03 am
Profile WWW

Beau wrote:

I was like, hey, Trip's sig is pretty awesome. So I was like, let's search for it on Google. Then I found that article and I'm like, hey, this is pretty awesome, who wrote it? And then I was like, oh, figures.

Good reading.

And that Murnau quote... :heart:

Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:39 am

Beau wrote:

:D

Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:28 am

theaviator wrote:
One cool grace note does not a good director make. I thought we all knew this.

tell this to Richard Brody

that kind of essentialism dominates in cinephilic discourse i think

Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:35 am

mystery meat wrote:
tell this to Richard Brody

that kind of essentialism dominates in cinephilic discourse i think

sure, but it's not a specifically auteurist tic. i'd say the avant-garde inclined indulge essentialism fairly often as well.

Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:08 am
Profile WWW

For those who've seen Enemy:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2014/03/14/enemy_movie_ending_explained_the_meaning_of_the_jake_gyllenhaal_and_denis.html

I've just returned from a screening and my mind is reeling. I absolutely loved it. Would love to discuss with anyone who's seen it.

Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:22 pm

Derninan wrote:
For those who've seen Enemy:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2014/03/14/enemy_movie_ending_explained_the_meaning_of_the_jake_gyllenhaal_and_denis.html

I've just returned from a screening and my mind is reeling. I absolutely loved it. Would love to discuss with anyone who's seen it.

I have seen it, in fact I just discussed it on a podcast

http://www.soundonsight.org/sound-on-si ... 383-enemy/

*shameless plug*

Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:16 am

Bordwell on Wes's framing in Budapest and others

Blog |Twitter |MUBI

Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:11 am

A great review of The Devil, Probably by Mireille Latil-Le-Dantec, translated by Ted Fendt, originally published for Cinématographe in 1977:
Quote:
Tender gestures are, then, the only recourse of powerless speech or of the compassion for evil we provoke ourselves and for which we are at once guilty and innocent. In an admirably lit scene following the half-lit shot of a table covered with leftovers, Charles consoles Alberte, whose shoulders are shaking with sobs, by patting her back and drying her eyes with the corner of the tablecloth, as one does for a child. Over rational explanations (which he gradually erases from dialogue that already had very little) and explanations implied through "performance," Bresson always prefers the silent eloquence of a gesture (a shrug, the evasive movement of a hand) and the flash of a glance.

Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:01 am
Profile WWW

really nice interview with matías piñeiro at film comment

Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:49 am
Profile WWW

Good interview. Liked the bits on the power of the text and Latin American distribution.

That said, I'm surprised that Film Comment would make the Colombia-Columbia mistake.

Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:45 am

Film Comment is the most consistently quality film site out there, I find.

Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:42 am

my uncle got me a subscription to them somewhat recently but i've yet to truly dive into the two issues i've received

Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:44 am
Profile WWW

They've got one of the finest pieces on James Gray.

Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:50 am

in which i write about Nymphomaniac

Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:07 am

Will read once I watch pt. 2, should be soon

See my latest blog entry: Run the Jewels’ “Close Your Eyes” and Police Brutality

По́мните Катю...

Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:35 am

Good stuff. I can roll with the case you make for the ending.

Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:49 am

A professor friend of mine whom I square off against every month in a film triva pub quiz (well, his team vs mine) wrote an article on Van Warmerdam for Senses of Cinema:

http://sensesofcinema.com/2014/feature- ... warmerdam/

Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:07 pm

Yeah, that was a good read even though I didn't have the problems with the film that you did. The innate ridiculousness you speak of did work for me comedically but also in highlighting a point you articulate really well.
mystery meat wrote:
What Nymphomaniac is ultimately about is how these events are recounted, and it’s after the first couple of hours that the how finally becomes more worthwhile than a lot of silly flights of fancy and comical infographics.

I guess the word silly is perhaps used here as pejorative but I don't mean it that way. And am with you on the coda.

Blog |Twitter |MUBI

Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:31 am

https://mubi.com/notebook/posts/manoeuvring

Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:43 pm

Excellent. I agreed with you almost all the way, yet was surprised to see you hated it. I found its absurd contradictions more amusing than annoying. I can't see that Seligman was oppressing her in the conversation, though. That's like saying disagreement = bullying. (Sorry, Corrie in-joke.) Of course, that makes the ending even more ridiculous...

Wonder Woman ▪ The Running Man ▪ Mohabbatein ▪ Veer-Zaara ▪ Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 ▪ Pierrot le fou ▪ Highway ▪ Leningrad Cowboys Go America ▪ Band Baaja Baaraat ▪ Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi ▪ Jab We Met

Voyage | Female Gaze | MACBETH | Sokurov | Fassbinder | Greenaway | Denis | Book Shelf

Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:20 pm

Zizek on Lynch

Blog |Twitter |MUBI

Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:49 am

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2014/ap ... -interview

:D

Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:40 am

Hahaha :D

Blog |Twitter |MUBI

Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:01 am

Gina Telaroli's visual essay on Back Street

Blog |Twitter |MUBI

Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:34 am

Interesting interview with the editor in chief of cahiers

Blog |Twitter |MUBI

Tue May 06, 2014 1:52 am

Preview version of a book I contributed to:

http://books.google.com/books?id=AfUdAw ... &q&f=false

The Corrierino, finally in print: :)

WCoF I II IIIL'EtàL'Eau한국88ShadowsBerlin thırd ISOLATIONVistaVision

Fri May 09, 2014 6:53 pm
Profile WWW

:heart: A thorough read in a book store recently convinced that it doesn't have enough Page pages though.

Fri May 09, 2014 7:25 pm

Four pieces and an essay aren't enough for you, Kurz?

What, would you have me write the entire book on my own, Kurz?

Rome wasn't written about in one day, Kurz.

Fri May 09, 2014 7:37 pm
Profile WWW

Now that I would've bought blind.

Fri May 09, 2014 8:05 pm

I have a few of those.

Sat May 10, 2014 5:23 am
Profile WWW

lol running

Sat May 10, 2014 5:56 am
Profile WWW

into the ground amirite

Sat May 10, 2014 5:59 am

Epistemophobia wrote:
lol running

Hey, that's more marketing than you've every done.

Sat May 10, 2014 6:42 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 1295 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next