It is currently Tue May 30, 2017 3:51 am

Reply to topic  [ 1275 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next
 Recommended Readings: Reviews, Writings and Rants 
Post Re: Recommended Readings: Reviews, Writings and Rants

i'm an ideas man

Sat May 10, 2014 7:27 am
Profile WWW

He had the URL on a wedding cake, then forgot to invite anyone.

Sat May 10, 2014 7:29 am
Profile WWW

I've just discovered that Little White Lies' back catalogue (up until last June) is legally viewable for free here: http://issuu.com/lwlies/docs

Sun May 11, 2014 8:18 am
Profile WWW

JediMoonShyne wrote:
Preview version of a book I contributed to:

http://books.google.com/books?id=AfUdAw ... &q&f=false

The Corrierino, finally in print: :)

:fresh:

Bring me a copy when you come to Argentina.

Mon May 12, 2014 1:53 am

I'll only come to Argentina if we can unwittingly move into opposing apartment blocks and basically act out Medianeras.

WCoF I II IIIL'EtàL'Eau한국88ShadowsBerlin thırd ISOLATIONVistaVision

Mon May 12, 2014 2:44 am
Profile WWW

JediMoonShyne wrote:
I'll only come to Argentina if we can unwittingly move into opposing apartment blocks and basically act out Medianeras.

We'll have to wit that one out, I'm afraid.

Mon May 12, 2014 12:44 pm

Fri May 23, 2014 5:43 pm

http://www.soundonsight.org/great-monst ... xperience/

A fabulously unique and possibly utterly misguided and strangely corrupt article I wrote on The Elephant Man, using Georges Bataille's eroticism in part.

Everything around me is evaporating. My whole life, my memories, my imagination and its contents, my personality - it's all evaporating. I continuously feel that I was someone else, that I felt something else, that I thought something else. What I'm attending here is a show with another set. And the show I'm attending is myself. Fernando Pessoa

Live. Laugh. Love. - Freddy Krueger

Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:34 am

S'good.

Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:00 am

http://www.filmcomment.com/entry/interview-james-gray

Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:12 pm

Another interview with James Gray...

http://cinema-scope.com/currency/words- ... immigrant/

"So there is a difference between the surface of the film and what’s at the core of the character, and I identify with both of the main characters—with Eva and Bruno—very directly. I mean, I’m filled with self-hate. I cannot stand to look at pictures of myself, to read things I’ve said, to watch myself. It’s embarrassing. I mean, I look like a complete jerk! That feeling of self-hate, which is not the same thing as self-pity, by the way, is personal. It’s autobiographical and I put it into both characters. It’s the way into the story for me. The rest is really window dressing. Usually, the conversations I have about the film are about the fact that it’s set in 1921, that it was shot at Ellis Island, and that’s all good, it makes me happy, I love that stuff. But it’s not the reason I did any of it. The reason I made the movie is I wanted to show a co-dependent relationship that sort of destroys two people, even though they need each other. They need each other for the wrong reasons."

Podcasts: Cinema on the Road (Ep #29: CHENNAI EXPRESS et al) | They Shot Pictures (Eps #25 & 26:2013 In Review) (w/ roujin, fist & Sean) *NEW

Blog |Twitter |MUBI
Char's Cinematic Caravan | Female Gaze | We Like to Watch | Czechoslovakian New Wave | Charulata's Directors' Throwdown | Director Marathon 1: Jean Renoir

"Life affirming doesn’t mean good things happen." - James Gray

Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:21 am

http://www.soundonsight.org/reel-to-rea ... en-dwarfs/

one of the best articles to go through my hands since I've started as film editor on Sound on Sight, really worth a read :)

Everything around me is evaporating. My whole life, my memories, my imagination and its contents, my personality - it's all evaporating. I continuously feel that I was someone else, that I felt something else, that I thought something else. What I'm attending here is a show with another set. And the show I'm attending is myself. Fernando Pessoa

Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:55 pm

i was on a podcast about Vincente Minnelli

http://illusionpodcast.blogspot.com/201 ... de-18.html

you should listen to it

also just listen to this podcast in general cuz i'm gonna be co-hosting it permanently going forward

Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:04 pm

Writing on Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince's cinematography. I think I'll watch the movie tonight.

http://www.diyphotography.net/harry-pot ... delbonnel/

Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:29 am

Good and interesting article on TAMMY but also the general reaction to Melissa McCarthy's movies roles.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2 ... -body.html

Podcasts: Cinema on the Road (Ep #29: CHENNAI EXPRESS et al) | They Shot Pictures (Eps #25 & 26:2013 In Review) (w/ roujin, fist & Sean) *NEW

Blog |Twitter |MUBI
Char's Cinematic Caravan | Female Gaze | We Like to Watch | Czechoslovakian New Wave | Charulata's Directors' Throwdown | Director Marathon 1: Jean Renoir

Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:41 am

omg i watched my first Satyajit Ray and then wrote about it omg

http://www.soundonsight.org/charulata-i ... womanhood/

Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:24 am

*deletes*

Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:31 am
Profile WWW

Spengo wrote:
*deletes*

:(

Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:34 am

Philosophe rouge wrote:
:(

:heart:

Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:37 am
Profile WWW

Spengo wrote:

we will endure

Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:46 am

Philosophe rouge wrote:
omg i watched my first Satyajit Ray and then wrote about it omg

http://www.soundonsight.org/charulata-i ... womanhood/

That was a great read, rouge..

Blog |Twitter |MUBI

Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:23 am

charulata wrote:
That was a great read, rouge..

I will hopefully do more <3 <# <#

Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:30 am

I continue to hope for some kind of iconic fashion in cinema series from you at some point .. : )

Blog |Twitter |MUBI

Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:31 am

charulata wrote:
I continue to hope for some kind of iconic fashion in cinema series from you at some point .. : )

oh shoot, I forgot this... I will do this for you <3 at least some. Even take your suggestions, Marienbad.

Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:59 am

Woo, thank you <33! Marienbad, ITMFL, I Am Love.. all obvious picks but ones I love. And I am more interested in your choices and the things that catch your eye anyway.

Blog |Twitter |MUBI

Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:10 pm

http://filmsociety.myshopify.com/produc ... ong-cinema

Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:47 am
Profile WWW

http://www.theparisreview.org/interview ... hew-weiner

In a word, I think that, far from favoring directors’ formal inventiveness, widescreen, instead, stifles it. It is, I’m more and more persuaded, if not the only, at least the main culprit for the expressive poverty of the image today. - Eric Rohmer
Vimeo / / / Flickr

Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:05 am

Victor Bruno on The Immigrant

"Gray operates the camera (like Michael Mann and M. Night Shyamalan, Gray is the only American director who knows how to use the camera as if it were an observational body – who else has the power, inside American cinema today, to make the camera register clear human expressions – sadness, happiness, excitation – based purely and simply on the conception of the framing and movements?)"

Blog |Twitter |MUBI

Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:48 pm

What a silly quote.

In a word, I think that, far from favoring directors’ formal inventiveness, widescreen, instead, stifles it. It is, I’m more and more persuaded, if not the only, at least the main culprit for the expressive poverty of the image today. - Eric Rohmer
Vimeo / / / Flickr

Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:59 pm

Not a review, piece of writing or a rant but there's a slew (yes, a slew) of interesting British film documentaries here:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfHTYf ... qNA/videos

Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:50 pm

I like the quote (although I have to say - with all due respect - that the multiple levels of dashes and parentheses and commas and - really, all the punctuation; what I mean to say is that it makes reading it a bit muddled) but I like cats more.

Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:15 pm

If we're dissecting the sentence. How can Gray be both the "only American director who knows how to use the camera as if it were an observational body" and also be like Michael Mann and M. Night Shyamalan in that respect? I mean he already answered the question he asks in the second half of that parenthetical.

Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:49 am

Beau wrote:
I like the quote (although I have to say - with all due respect - that the multiple levels of dashes and parentheses and commas and - really, all the punctuation; what I mean to say is that it makes reading it a bit muddled) but I like cats more.

I didn't care much for the quote (mostly in terms of content though, I'm all about massive parenthetic statements - with multiple dashes and parentheses and commas and conjunctions to boot - mostly because, well, my stuff is muddled and meandering too you know? [1] anyways, time to close this parenthesis) and the sentence.

[1] In other words, I have a great appreciation for clunky digressions.

See my latest blog entry: Run the Jewels’ “Close Your Eyes” and Police Brutality

По́мните Катю...

Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:58 am

ledfloyd wrote:
If we're dissecting the sentence. How can Gray be both the "only American director who knows how to use the camera as if it were an observational body" and also be like Michael Mann and M. Night Shyamalan in that respect? I mean he already answered the question he asks in the second half of that parenthetical.

The inclusion of M. Night Shyamalan alone is worth the lulz

I mean James Gray is my favorite Anglophone/American director, but I don't think that really captures what makes him special. Michael Mann conveys moods and human feelings with his camera alone, but so does Malick, S. Coppola, Korine, Ferrara and some of my other faves. Shyamalan is nowhere near that list tho.

See my latest blog entry: Run the Jewels’ “Close Your Eyes” and Police Brutality

По́мните Катю...

Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:03 am

ledfloyd wrote:

oh yeah and you're spot on about the logical incoherence of it "like Michael Mann and M. Night Shyamalan, Gray is the only American director" it's like whaaa?

super funny

По́мните Катю...

Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:07 am

Offensive in both content and and syntax.

"who else has the power, inside American cinema today, to make the camera register clear human expressions – sadness, happiness, excitation – based purely and simply on the conception of the framing and movements?"

James Gray is good and all, but since when are American filmmakers in such dire creative condition that this is exclusive to one (I guess maybe three?) artists. Dumb.

Vimeo / / / Flickr

Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:13 am

Shyamalan is good, though his inclusion in that list is a little too much.

Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:25 am

also on staff page:

Tristan Teshigahara Pollack is a purveyor of authentic artistic expression both through his own art as well as through his assessments and appreciations of the art of others. With a proclivity toward the experimental/avant-garde, yet a valid awareness of the status quo, Tristan produces work as a writer, multi-instrumentalist and composer. He is an emerging film critic who holds a bachelor’s degree in Cinema Studies from SUNY Purchase, where he received the Senior Project Prize for his thesis “Abbas Kiarostami: A Self-critical Portrait.” He has experience in every step of the film-making process. He has scripted, operated cameras, worked various jobs on set, edited and scored music. Tristan was born in Japan and raised in New York City, where he presently resides and continues to develop his divining rod of creative media with his most recent focus being on scoring music and writing.

Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:26 am

Izzy Black wrote:
I didn't care much for the quote (mostly in terms of content though, I'm all about massive parenthetic statements - with multiple dashes and parentheses and commas and conjunctions to boot - mostly because, well, my stuff is muddled and meandering too you know? [1] anyways, time to close this parenthesis) and the sentence.

[1] In other words, I have a great appreciation for clunky digressions.

Adrian Martin does it a lot here: http://www.rouge.com.au/13/diary.html

It works, I guess. That "diary" has a breathless energy that his more obviously edited work doesn't have. Befitting of the "diary" tag, of course.

Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:37 am

I think that's by far Shyamalan's greatest strength as a director, so it's cool with me.

Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:22 am

http://www.soundonsight.org/a-new-new-h ... star-wars/

Awesome article on film preservation and star wars

Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:52 pm

Philosophe rouge wrote:
http://www.soundonsight.org/a-new-new-hope-film-preservation-and-the-problem-with-star-wars/

Awesome article on film preservation and star wars

Loved it.

Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:11 pm

James Gray on Apocalypse Now: http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/feat ... w-20140811

almost arthouse

Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:46 am
Profile WWW

JediMoonShyne wrote:
Four pieces and an essay aren't enough for you, Kurz?

What, would you have me write the entire book on my own, Kurz?

Rome wasn't written about in one day, Kurz.

Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:27 am

Did I ever mention how much I love you, Kurz?

WCoF I II IIIL'EtàL'Eau한국88ShadowsBerlin thırd ISOLATIONVistaVision

Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:40 am
Profile WWW

Not lately anyway :heart:

Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:09 am

My interview with Aubrey Plaza: http://www.theskinny.co.uk/film/feature ... after_beth

Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:34 am
Profile WWW

some thoughts on new Godard works

http://www.soundonsight.org/his-latest- ... -language/

Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:00 am

Why the horror of Stephen King’s words don’t translate well to film

Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:58 pm

my boyfriend wrote this little piece on Sunrise

http://www.soundonsight.org/sunrise-a-s ... -of-light/

Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:32 am
Reply to topic   [ 1275 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next