It is currently Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:58 pm

Reply to topic  [ 597 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
 Inspired By... 
Post Re: Inspired By...

Love.

Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:08 am

Oh, and I meant to say, I would totally buy the Zed & Two Noughts one if I had any money. What a great idea for raising funds!

Voyage | Female Gaze | MACBETH | Sokurov | Fassbinder | Greenaway | Denis | Sono | my bookshelf

Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:12 am

Shieldmaiden wrote:
So beautiful! It's better than the film.

Why, thank you.

Unless you didn't care for the film at all and this is merely slightly better than that. Like when someone says "I couldn't care less." Which means it's the lowest of the low... yet some people around here say "I could care less." Which I've never understood, because it means that you do care... yet haven't explained how much. Perhaps you couldn't care less about the film.

But surely you enjoyed it somewhat. Maybe I should just come out with it: What are your thoughts on the film?

Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:18 am
Profile WWW

Hank wrote:
But surely you enjoyed it somewhat. Maybe I should just come out with it: What are your thoughts on the film?
I did enjoy it somewhat. I think I've mentioned on here before that I have trouble appreciating Juliette Binoche, I don't really know why. I wish I remembered more about the film, which probably means I wasn't paying proper attention. I remember some lovely visuals and a contrived story. Denis Levant should dance in every movie!

So, what I really meant was that I love the piece! It does more for me, with its partial vision and peeling layers, than the film did.

Voyage | Female Gaze | MACBETH | Sokurov | Fassbinder | Greenaway | Denis | Sono | my bookshelf

Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:44 am

Shieldmaiden wrote:
I think I've mentioned on here before that I have trouble appreciating Juliette Binoche, I don't really know why.

That picture is one of only two Binoche films I didn't like. Her skills as an actress are unassailable, however.

Like Someone in Love (Kiarostami, 2012) 4/10
Killing Them Softly (Dominik, 2012) 2/10
The Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm (Pal/Levin, 1962) 6/10
The Dark Past (Mate', 1948) 7/10
New Rose Hotel (Ferrara, 1998) 3/10

Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:56 am

Shieldmaiden wrote:
I have trouble appreciating Juliette Binoche

You and Gerard Depardieu.

Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:09 am

Hank wrote:
Les Amants du Pont Neuf (charulata)
Spitting fire. Losing sight. Entanglement. Fireworks.
Images that can tear them apart. Will tear them apart.
Snow.
Paris sleeps.

Whoa, Hank! That's just stunning! I was expecting greatness but wow. Also, I love that looking at it from different directions just brings out some detail one might've missed the first time around. LOOOVE it!

Also, shush everyone. Enough with the hate towards one of my favorite films :x.

Podcasts: Cinema on the Road (Ep #29: CHENNAI EXPRESS et al) | They Shot Pictures (Eps #25 & 26:2013 In Review) (w/ roujin, fist & Sean) *NEW

Blog |Twitter |MUBI
Char's Cinematic Caravan | Female Gaze | We Like to Watch | Czechoslovakian New Wave | Charulata's Directors' Throwdown | Director Marathon 1: Jean Renoir

"Life affirming doesn’t mean good things happen." - James Gray

Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:10 am

Shieldmaiden wrote:
I did enjoy it somewhat. I think I've mentioned on here before that I have trouble appreciating Juliette Binoche, I don't really know why. I wish I remembered more about the film, which probably means I wasn't paying proper attention. I remember some lovely visuals and a contrived story. Denis Levant should dance in every movie!

So, what I really meant was that I love the piece! It does more for me, with its partial vision and peeling layers, than the film did.

Then I'm honored. :heart: I've liked Juliette Binoche enough in the things I've seen her in. Can't say that she's a favorite of mine though. And Denis Levant should dance in everything. I found myself wanting more in the film. I read somewhere that Claire Denis deserves recognition for putting the dance sequence at the very end of Beau Travail since films can't do much to top it. Yeah. That.

I enjoyed the film, although it won't make my list of 50 films (if I were to ever finish that for the survey).

Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:18 am
Profile WWW

So glad you like it char! I hope that you can't stop looking at it :P

Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:20 am
Profile WWW

I think that's really your best yet, Hank. Great stuff. I also love that particular film, but at the same time it's far from one of my favorite Binoche performances. Huh.

In a word, I think that, far from favoring directors’ formal inventiveness, widescreen, instead, stifles it. It is, I’m more and more persuaded, if not the only, at least the main culprit for the expressive poverty of the image today. - Eric Rohmer
Vimeo / / / Flickr

Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:49 pm

Hank wrote:
I read somewhere that Claire Denis deserves recognition for putting the dance sequence at the very end of Beau Travail since films can't do much to top it. Yeah. That.
Oh, yeah, that dance in Beau Travail is the best everything.

Quote:
I enjoyed the film, although it won't make my list of 50 films (if I were to ever finish that for the survey).
Please finish it. You have a good start!

Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:55 pm

The shipment...it has arrived!

Features the downloaded file that I printed in its frame, the original file (looks so much better) and the DVD case of the movie that the art was Inspired by....

"The wealthy and powerful always remind us that cream rises to the top.
What they fail to acknowledge is that pond scum also rises to the top.
And there is a lot more pond scum in the world than there is cream.
If you become rich and powerful, I hope that you will be cream rather than pond scum." --YTMN

Rematch Resurrection Catalog for Rounds 1-4 New post 180721 -- YTMN's Remake Rematch Thread.
Thread Resurrected 21 Jul 2018. Thread abandoned 1 Aug 2017. Thread COMPLETE 25 May 14 (2d time!)

The Future Unreels

Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:15 am

Wow Hank, I just read through this whole thread. My favorite piece is probably 35 Rhums though I've never seen the film. I also like Girl on the Bridge, but may be influenced by the fact that I love that film.

I also liked the one you did for White Material. I have never heard of the film, but the art there makes me think of Japanese landscapes.

My recommendation is Modern Times.

Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:57 am

Hank wrote:
I debated for a long time about how I could incorporate a cello in a living room... but it just didn't seem to work. But, wouldn't you know it, I thought of a way yesterday while at a yard sale of all places! Oh well.

Best cello reference in a film, methinks.

I considered using cello-like wood for the frame, but it detracted the eye from the artwork, and ran the price up double what it was anyway. Went with flat black lacquered wood.

You'll see, once you get going with this again and I post my promised photo of said art on wall. :D

If you become rich and powerful, I hope that you will be cream rather than pond scum." --YTMN

Rematch Resurrection Catalog for Rounds 1-4 New post 180721 -- YTMN's Remake Rematch Thread.
Thread Resurrected 21 Jul 2018. Thread abandoned 1 Aug 2017. Thread COMPLETE 25 May 14 (2d time!)

The Future Unreels

Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:31 pm

Since it's the Halloween season... I am resurrecting a dead thread with new posts. Who knows, this thread might be new to you. If so, welcome and please share your thoughts on the film, the art and/or how you feel they relate.

Gattaca (BSB Soundsystem)
Degenerate. Identity...given to you or made by you.
How do you do it? Further. We must go back. Further. Let's go back. Further.
Leave nothing left.

Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:15 am
Profile WWW

Great film. Glad the thread is back.

Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:15 pm

MrCarmady wrote:
Glad the thread is back.
Seconded. This thread is too good to die.

I like this one a lot, Hank. The rocket! And is it also supposed to look like sperm and egg? :)

I love that movie so much! The way he uses very simple, evocative images to sketch in the sci-fi elements -- it's strangely convincing at an emotional level.

Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:19 pm

Thanks guys!
(I'm going to leave the sperm speculation with a no comment :) )
Shieldmaiden wrote:
I love that movie so much! The way he uses very simple, evocative images to sketch in the sci-fi elements -- it's strangely convincing at an emotional level.

Yeah, it's a really good movie... I love how this film does a sci-fi about rockets and space exploration, without really showing either. It's from a distance and we are allowed to view it in the awe that Vincent sees it. The imagery is wonderful, as you pointed out. I love the whole rhythm to it.

Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:44 am
Profile WWW

Yay.

Simply, yay.

The Future Unreels

Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:08 pm

Gort wrote:
Yay.

Simply, yay.

Have you seen Gattaca, Gort? I'd be interested in your thoughts. Although, I have the feeling you would've shared some if you had strong feelings either way on the film.

Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:47 am
Profile WWW

Hank wrote:
Have you seen Gattaca, Gort? I'd be interested in your thoughts. Although, I have the feeling you would've shared some if you had strong feelings either way on the film.

When it first came out on DVD I rented it. And watched it once. And strongly liked it, and considered buying it, but it's been so long ago that I remember very very little.

My apologies.

The Future Unreels

Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:14 am

These artworks look really good when framed, and placed upon a wall.

The Future Unreels

Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:30 am

Gort wrote:
When it first came out on DVD I rented it. And watched it once. And strongly liked it, and considered buying it, but it's been so long ago that I remember very very little.

My apologies.

No apologies necessary... I just saw it in the $5 bin at Walmart yesterday. But I wanted to get out of that store so bad that I didn't stop to pick it up. I knew if I did stop then I'd end up looking through the jumbled pile of dvds for 20 minutes. But I noted it for if I ever find myself spending time at Walmart due to unfortunate circumstances: such as my wife making me go with her. "Honey I'm going to go look at the movies."

That does looks good! That mat does a nice job with the warmish dark tones in the inkwash. I have found that the ink isn't the easiest to to pull tones from... but that looks very nice! It's an honor to be hung on your wall :)

Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:54 pm
Profile WWW

The framer spent about 10 minutes comparing the ink wash to the colors of matte she had in stock. She selected that color in particular while doing the framing job. In reality it shares tonality with much of the wash, and it looks far better in person than in that photo.

And, as I wrote before, the real work looks so much cooler than the photo that you made of it, that I printed and hung on the wall in just that place before I had the original. You remember it, don't you? I took a photo of it and the original when the mail came that day...
I had no idea that you had drawn a border around the image, or that the boy's foot violated the border at the bottom edge.

Anyway, I'm so glad you started back in the thread, so I could share the framing job with all our friends and your readers. :)

The Future Unreels

Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:53 am

No Country for Old Men
Call it.

Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:03 pm
Profile WWW

that fits the film perfectly. it's probably my least favourite coens film (i prefer when they work with their own material, and they can do comedy a lot better than they can do drama) but needs a re-watch.

Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:11 pm

Possession (Evil Prevails)
Lovely, emotional, disturbing, inventive, kinetic, gruesome and beautiful...
Distorted clarity.

Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:42 am
Profile WWW

Mmm, distorted clarity. :)

I love this one, too, Hank. That movie is crazy, in the best possible way.

Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:16 am

So lovely.

Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:13 am

The Royal Tenenbaums
Oddities and humor disguising the loneliness of it all. Or perhaps embracing it.

Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:23 am
Profile WWW

Your review persuaded me to finally put this film in my queue at teh Flix.

The Future Unreels

Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:47 am

Gort wrote:
Your review persuaded me to finally put this film in my queue at teh Flix.

Oddly enough, this is another review that extends beyond the border. I won't reveal how, as it is actually a spoiler for the film.

Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:08 am
Profile WWW

To Catch a Thief
We believe what we've been shown?
It's not the chase it seems to be.

Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:47 pm
Profile WWW

your art is amazing wtf.

"your review shows me only that you dont understand anything about movies and that you are a untalented wanna bee filmmaker with no balls and no understanding what POSTAL is. you dont see courage because you are nothing. and no go to your mum and fuck her …because she cooks for you now since 30 years ..so she deserves it." — Uwe Boll

Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:08 pm
Profile WWW

I love your Royal Tenenbaums review, though I don't remember the movie well enough to say more than that. And, there's so much going on in that Hitchcock piece. Very fitting. :)

Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:40 am

Thanks, takeshi!

Shieldmaiden... Hitchcock does tend to put a lot of things going on in his films, doesn't he? I've been watching more of his films again since I was commissioned to do a review of To Catch a Thief by someone at one of my art shows. I think I've watch 3 others since then. The most recent being North by Northwest on Monday.

Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:08 pm
Profile WWW

Hank wrote:
Hitchcock does tend to put a lot of things going on in his films, doesn't he?
Oh, definitely. It's been quite some time since I've seen Thief, so there's not much more to say. But I'll put in my usual plug for Vertigo, which I re-discovered last year. So much mournful nostalgic goodness!

By the way, it makes me happy that people at your art shows request your reviews. Maybe you could convince them to post at Corrie, too? :P

Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:39 am

I saw Vertigo for the first time within the last two years. Really great. Hitchcock seems to always have some shots or compositions in his films that catch me off guard... in a good way.

I actually have mentioned the forum to a couple of people before. It comes up when we talk about how this series of work got started. Don't think any have actually started posting her though. :(

Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:02 am
Profile WWW

takeshi wrote:
your art is amazing wtf.

If he puts any of these originals up again. offer $250.00 for one. It will be a steal. The difference between his forum photos of them and the original art is absolutely incredible.

The Future Unreels

Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:43 am

Gort wrote:
If he puts any of these originals up again. offer $250.00 for one. It will be a steal. The difference between his forum photos of them and the original art is absolutely incredible.

Thanks, Gort. I'm honored and flattered that would say this. I doubt that I'll officially make post them as "for sale" again on the forum... that was for charity. Although, I'm always open to finding them a good home! Speaking of good homes, I was hoping to see a picture of charulata's up on a wall.

Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:48 am
Profile WWW

The Royal Tenenbaums is up next in my Netflix DVD queue. :)

The Future Unreels

Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:54 am

YouTookMyName wrote:
The Royal Tenenbaums is up next in my Netflix DVD queue. :)

I remember it was my first Wes Anderson... but hadn't seen it for years (since it was in theaters) before I was commissioned to review it. I saw a lot more in it in the more recent viewing. I completely missed some of the film the first go around, but I was much younger at that point and not nearly as observant. I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

In honor of Wes, my next review:
The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissu
Did you ever wish you could breathe underwater? What about just having the ability to breathe? To really breathe.

Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:08 am
Profile WWW

Aw, that scene. :(

Love the jellyfish. Love the movie. :heart:

Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:20 pm

Hank wrote:
Why, thank you.

Unless you didn't care for the film at all and this is merely slightly better than that. Like when someone says "I couldn't care less." Which means it's the lowest of the low... yet some people around here say "I could care less." Which I've never understood, because it means that you do care... yet haven't explained how much. Perhaps you couldn't care less about the film.

That's a common mistake. I think people always mean to say "I couldn't care less," but for whatever reason "I could" has come into use, which is obviously a nonsensical phrase or at least a completely useless one. I mean, I could certainly care less about The Rules of the Game, my favorite movie. I mean, I don't, but I could. There is a lot of caring there I could do less of.

Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:33 pm

Also, your stuff's amazing.

Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:35 pm

Beau wrote:

That's a common mistake. I think people always mean to say "I couldn't care less," but for whatever reason "I could" has come into use, which is obviously a nonsensical phrase or at least a completely useless one. I mean, I could certainly care less about The Rules of the Game, my favorite movie. I mean, I don't, but I could. There is a lot of caring there I could do less of.

I could say it better myself.
I mean... I couldn't say it better myself. :D

Also, thanks! Have a recommendation for me? At this rate, I'll get to it in about 3 years... but I'd still be interested in hearing what you'd like to see me review.

Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:36 pm
Profile WWW

Hank wrote:
The Royal Tenenbaums
Oddities and humor disguising the loneliness of it all. Or perhaps embracing it.

I finally saw The Royal Tenenbaums last week.

It strikes me as tonally more similar to Rushmore than any other Wes Anderson film I've seen. I liked this, although Rushmore (my first Wes Anderson film) alienated me on both viewings. To date it's the only Wes Anderson film I still don't like.

I liked The Royal Tenenbaums quite a lot. It also has flavors of his style from the recent grand hotel outing which was just a chuckle a minute for me. Tenebaums doesn't seem to aim to make you laugh as much as to scratch your head over things. The humor is not laugh-out-loud for me, but the overall effect of that film is more coherent than Rushmore.

This was the first Owen Wilson performance that doesn't set my teeth on edge. It isn't in his usual style, and that might be why I like it. He co-wrote the film, so maybe he wrote something that he wouldn't have to play in Shanghai Noon fashion.

As usual, Anderson has his ensemble of characters each of whom is drawn with crisp boundaries, and each of whom will simply not stay totally confined by those boundaries. Nor do any of Anderson's characters in this film stay totally confined by societal roles.

My viewing was totally cold. I didn't read very much about the film over the years and hadn't even seen a trailer for it. My interest in seeing it was completely supported through the line "Directed by Wes Anderson."

(As I read over this before posting I realized that there must have been a sale on superlatives somewhere recently, and I must have gotten a good deal on a pile of them!)

The Future Unreels

Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:13 am
Reply to topic   [ 597 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12