It is currently Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:58 pm

Reply to topic  [ 800 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16
 General Comics discussion. 
Post Re: General Comics discussion.

Wolfy wrote:
I don't know how many of you are reading Amazing Spider-Man and being as pissed off as I am.

I don't read any comics these days... what's up with it?

Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:08 am

Smalley wrote:
I don't read any comics these days... what's up with it?

Doc Oct is dying. Parker comes to see him. Somehow their minds are switched. fights blah blah blah. Oct dies with Parker's mind still in there. But somehow Parker's memories are transplanted to Oct's mind in Parker's body. So now Oct is in Parker's body calling himself Superior Spider-Man and wants to do good.

Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:14 am

:facepalm:

Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:14 am

I started Wonder Woman New 52 today. I've read through the first ten issues and I plan on being caught up by the end of the night. Enjoying it. I like the twist on the origin and the god politics and family bickering. Really loved the art work in the Hell issue as well.

Outer Space (Tscherkassky, 1999)
Seven Chances (Keaton, 1925)
Battleship Potemkin (Eisenstein, 1925)

My Random Screencaps blog

Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:17 am

Oh, Marvel.

Saga's a good number 1, led.

Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:17 am

I just read Spider-Man #700.

Looks like the worst thing since 2007/2008's "One More Day"/"Brand New Day".

As a "series finale" (as it was so advertised), it's really insulting to the legacy of the comic.

At my local comic store they have my pull list to automatically switch over from Amazing Spider-Man to Superior Spider-Man, but now I'm not so sure. I guess I should give it a chance, but I don't really want to spend money on it.

Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:41 pm

It really is the worst thing since the Mephisto stuff.

Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:42 pm

every time i hear anything about spider-man these days i just groan. can't believe they didn't put someone besides slott on that book with all these creative reshufflings.

Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:17 pm
Profile WWW

anyway, here's my top 20. overlaps quite a bit with led's list.

1. Building Stories
2. Love and Rockets: New Stories #5
3. Fantastic Four/FF
4. Prophet
5. The Manhattan Projects
6. Lose #4
7. Saga
8. Batman Incorporated
9. Rachel Rising
10. Dal Tokyo

11. Casanova: Avaritia
12. By This Shall You Know Him
13. Wonder Woman
14. Dial H
15. Conan the Barbarian
16. The Punisher
17. Age of Apocalypse
18. Multiple Warheads: Alphabet to Infinity
19. Hawkeye
20. Fatale

Plus: Daredevil, Uncanny X-Force, Glory, Captain Marvel, Mind MGMT, Godzilla: The Half-Century War, Tales Designed To Thrizzle #8, Kramers Ergot 8

Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:18 pm
Profile WWW

Everyone go check this out. It's a new comic by Brian K. Vaughan and Marcos Martin, to be published online only, pay what you want, including nothing. It's going to be 10 issues, and the first one is quite good, a very unique concept and world, really promising. No risk to download it for free, but throw them a few bucks if you like it so this model can succeed.

Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:42 pm
Profile WWW

this series is currently ruling my life.

Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:29 am

Sandman ruins everyone's life at some point or another. You can't stop reading.

Vaughan's really quite the busy man isn't he? Paid up 4 bucks, will do so on the following issues if the rest are good.

Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:39 am

Just a reminder for any of you in or around Toronto this weekend- TCAF taking place on the 11-12 with a great list of talent on hand. Should be fun :)

Stories We Tell, (2012) - Sarah Polley
Spiderbaby or, The Maddest Story Ever Told, (1967) - Jack Hill

Il est six heures/Gary's Ghastly Gallery/mubi/last.fm

Thu May 09, 2013 6:25 am

Just found out that this is finally coming out. Anyone know what took so long?

http://www.amazon.com/Solo-Deluxe-Editi ... 1401238890

Release of the year right there. I have the Cooke and Allred issues so I'm beyond excited to discover the rest, especially Popes.

Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:43 am

I own like half those issues so it gets harder to justify buying it.

Still, 30 bucks for a hardcover with high quality stuff in it is tempting.

Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:50 am

Das wrote:
I own like half those issues so it gets harder to justify buying it.

What are your favorite issues?

Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:53 am

Gaiman, Cooke, Popes and Azzarello of what I own.

Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:54 am

Since this thread is seeing some mild action, may as well drop these here. I love Jason Shawn Alexander's stuff, people like him and J.H Williams III really make pretty standard comic fare a lot more enjoyable with their illustrative skills.
http://bloodandwhisky.blogspot.com/2013 ... s-art.html
http://bloodandwhisky.blogspot.com/2013 ... -more.html

Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:51 pm

Anyone into Fables? I finished the first 5-issue arc and I'm not sure it's worth it to continue reading.

Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:22 am
Profile WWW

The Last Baron wrote:
Anyone into Fables? I finished the first 5-issue arc and I'm not sure it's worth it to continue reading.

I'm sure other people will tell you different but I vote no. I could never get past the first few trades, personally. It's just always seemed like Vertigo lite to me.

If you want to catch up on a current series that mines similar territory with a lot more depth, I'd recommend The Unwritten instead.

Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:11 am
Profile WWW

sevenarts wrote:

I'm sure other people will tell you different but I vote no. I could never get past the first few trades, personally. It's just always seemed like Vertigo lite to me.

If you want to catch up on a current series that mines similar territory with a lot more depth, I'd recommend The Unwritten instead.

Once Fables gets into its multiple trade arcs, it falls off. not before then though, it's really good before that.

There's always those gorgeous James Jean cover illustrations though.

Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:47 am

I have so many things out from the library. Fables vol 1 & 2, Sandman 1 & 2, Ghost World, and the Contract with God trilogy.

Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:58 am
Profile WWW

I've been out of the loop. Best comics of 2013?

Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:42 am

Saga's still really good. That's the only American comic I've really kept up with this year.

On an unrelated note, the disparity between published Korean comics from before the smart phone era, and korean comics in the smartphone era is a fascinating, and depressing disparity in quality. The best modern Korean comics (manhwa) running today are at best, progressively mediocre, and more frequently downright terrible - I'm kind of glad that Japan and the US haven't fallen into scrapped print publications yet, as it seems evident from the Korean market that the quality suffers a great deal when publishers don't have to care about printing costs and can just run anything with enough of a niche to support itself. I suppose, in theory, a fully open market is better than a curated one - but when the curated market collapses entirely, you're left with no idea of where to start looking.

Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:55 am

Jonzz wrote:
I've been out of the loop. Best comics of 2013?

Most things being published at Image.

Saga, Fatale, Prophet, Velvet, Manhattan Projects, East of West, Sex Criminals, Satellite Sam, Lazarus, etc.

Also, Hawkguy.

Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:04 am

Image's change from being one of the downright worst comic labels ever to one of the best has been a long, and interesting process to watch - one of the biggest turnarounds for a comic label ever, I think? Once it stopped being Rob Liefield's dumping area it had a pretty big hole to dig itself out of for comics fans, but it did.

Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:11 am

Perhaps this has already been addressed, but do any of you read on a computer or other digital reader or are you all about having the physical copy in front of you?

Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:31 am

Have no preference, both have things about them that are good and bad.

I've been using e-readers for unofficially translated foreign stuff since the early 2000s, so digital comic reading feels pretty natural to me personally

Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:57 am

Yeah, I do both as well. I would prefer to be all digital, less waste and all that. But while digital comics have gotten pretty good, especially with tablets, it's still tough to capture two-page spreads. J.H. Williams, for instance, looks a lot better on the page.

Also, to add to the number of awesome things Image is doing these days, the fact that they are offering DRM-free digital downloads is pretty cool.

Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:24 am

it's not a real comic book to me if I can't smell newsprint.

Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:14 am

For the best of the year, this is a really good resource. Here's my list from there:

1. Lose #5
2. Love and Rockets: New Stories #6
3. Copra
4. Prophet
5. Hawkeye
6. Life Zone
7. Batman Inc.
8. Dial H
9. Zero
10. Fran
11. Black Is the Color
12. Teen Creeps
13. Manhattan Projects
14. Saga
15. Mind MGMT
16. Fatale
17. Daredevil
18. Numbercruncher
19. East of West
20. Rachel Rising
21. New Avengers #1-6
22. Young Avengers
23. Trillium
24. Blood Visions
25. My Dirty Dumb Eyes

And as I realized after the fact, I egregiously left off Fury Max. And New School, which I only read after making the list.

Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:45 am
Profile WWW

Haven't read the latest New Stories yet but I went through pretty much all of Love & Rockets over the summer for the first time and it might be my favorite piece of art ever.

Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:08 pm

Jonzz wrote:
Haven't read the latest New Stories yet but I went through pretty much all of Love & Rockets over the summer for the first time and it might be my favorite piece of art ever.

Yea, it's mine too. Just a breathtaking achievement.

Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:25 pm
Profile WWW

So...is anyone still reading Superior Spider-Man?

I only checked out the first issue or two and...yeah, realized I couldn't deal with yet another reboot (if I can even call it that). Just wondering what in general is going on. Not having Amazing in my life has been depressing for far too long.

Recently Seen: Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice , Zootopia , 10 Cloverfield Lane

- "How's the pie?"
- "So good..."

Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:48 am
Profile WWW

The Great One wrote:
So...is anyone still reading Superior Spider-Man?

I only checked out the first issue or two and...yeah, realized I couldn't deal with yet another reboot (if I can even call it that). Just wondering what in general is going on. Not having Amazing in my life has been depressing for far too long.

:?

Nah....

*googles*

omg it's really real :-|

Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:57 am

Mean Old Bastard Ed wrote:
:?

Nah....

*googles*

omg it's really real :-|

You were one of the lucky ones living in ignorant bliss, Ed. I'm truly sorry for your loss.

Recently Seen: Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice , Zootopia , 10 Cloverfield Lane

- "How's the pie?"
- "So good..."

Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:16 am
Profile WWW

So come April, Amazing Spider-man is returning with a new issue #1 and Superior will meet its end. Now I'm actually gonna catch up and read the Superior run now that it's gone in a few months.

- "How's the pie?"
- "So good..."

Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:51 am
Profile WWW

anyone read The Wake? any good?

Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:38 pm

So a dear old friend came to visit me this past week. We spent most of it working on a horror script (fun!) while I suffered through my first-ever hernia (not fun!), so we rented a bunch of horror films (mostly fun!) and spent time eating at sandwich shops and browsing comic book stores. He used to be an enormous comic book nerd, having a collection in the thousands, even used to work at a comic store. But he'd been out of the game for a few years, save a few dips. But we ended up hitting every store within a 10-mile radius of my apartment and...holy shit, I reawakened the beast within. All primarily due to Saga, which he'd resisted reading for quite a while now. He bought the first two trades over the weekend, read them within hours, and we went back on Wednesday to pick up the newly released third.

While he was here, I managed to read the first two trades as well, and I gotta say...it's one of the best comics I've maybe ever read. I have nowhere near the knowledge or library as even the average comic book fan, so I gotta think some of the regular posters in here have read Saga. I hope so, because I can't stop thinking about it. My buddy's back in NYC now, so I guess I'll have to pony up my own cash and buy the third trade, because there's no way I'm stopping now.

In a more general sense, this brought me back to reading more stuff, and I'm looking for good recommendations. I started reading Preacher, which is OK after three issues. The art is a little boring, save some of the high-detailed bloody stuff, but I can tell by the world being set up that I'm probably in for a series that just gets better and better. Also picked up Y: The Last Man, looking for something by Vaughan (as Saga is my first read by the man), and Transmetropolitan, which my buddy suggested because I "love Hunter S Thompson and noir shit."

I still need to finish Moore's Swamp Thing run, and reread Morrison's Animal Man for the infinityith time. But anything else, recommend away, especially any newer stuff that's on the level (or close to the level) of something like Saga, because good god.

Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:32 pm

Saga's been one of the few I've paying attention to in recent years - Fiona Staples' illustrations, just as much as the writing make that comic for me.

Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:40 pm

Her work is incredible! Some of my favorite ever. It really was a comedown starting Preacher after 12 straight Saga issues.

The writing of Saga really hooked me, but her illustrations have really taken over my appreciation of the comic.

Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:42 pm

It's some of the better recent work I've seen.

My all time favorite comic illustration is Michael Zulli's work on Sandman: The Wake, and that'll probably never change.

Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:54 pm

Saga is very, very good, it's definitely one of the top few series coming out now. I think it's Vaughan's best work by some distance; Y the Last Man is quite good too but has some problems and some weak stretches along the way, which so far Saga has completely avoided. It's a lot of fun.

The other best current sci-fi series is another Image book, Prophet, which is very different but is amazing in its own unique way - while Saga is a straight-up space opera, Prophet opts more for a hard sci-fi tone. It's written by Brandon Graham and drawn by a huge cast of artists, but not in an impersonal Big Two way; Graham assigns different artists to different sets of characters and different parts of the overall story, and the tension between the radically diverging (but always interesting) art styles is a big part of the book's appeal. It's especially great in the later issues where individual issues and even pages are constructed by mashing together these different styles. It's a wild, beautiful book.

My other current favorite (maybe even my #1 ongoing right now) is Ales Kot's Zero. It's a spy story with a sci-fi edge that's slowly emerging from the more grounded thriller plots, and it's infused with a deep sense of melancholy and loss. Issue #2 is one of the most affecting, heartbreaking, intense things I've ever read in comics, and subsequent issues have built on that foundation in surprising, powerful ways. Each issue is drawn by a different artist, and Kot makes each issue stand alone as a well-designed oneshot story in its own right while also fitting into the patchwork, time-skipping larger narrative he's assembling.

Oh, and David Lapham's harrowing noir Stray Bullets, one of the best comics ever made, has just returned with a new series, Killers, which is a pretty perfect jumping-on point for anyone who's never read the book before.

Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:50 pm
Profile WWW

Thanks, seven. Definitely gonna look into Prophet and Zero.

I almost picked up the first trade of The Manhattan Projects the other day, seemed up my alley. Any fans here?

Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:31 am

I like Manhattan Projects a lot. Alternative history that just keeps getting nuttier and nuttier as it goes along. It's funny as hell, in a very dark way, the art is great, and as usual in any comic written by Jonathan Hickman, every other page has a jaw-dropping, audacious concept to make you mutter "whoa." It's Hickman's best non-superhero book. (His best book overall is his now-completed Fantastic Four epic.)

Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:05 am
Profile WWW

Man, I'm so far behind on comics. A 40 minute commute has cut into my comic time. A few months ago I was really into The Manhattan Projects, Saga, Prophet, Fatale, Hawkeye, and the Private Eye.

I still need to check out East of West, Lazarus, Velvet, Sex Criminals, and Satellite Sam.

Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:57 am

Ok I've read the first twelve issues of Preacher and the first six issues of Transmetropolitan.

I'm officially hooked on comics again. This will pass but for now... So wonderful.

Coincidentally picked up the first trade of the Metabarons two days before seeing Jodorowsky's Dune. So that's next. Then trade 3 of Saga. So excited.

Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:38 pm

Derninan wrote:
Ok I've read the first twelve issues of Preacher and the first six issues of Transmetropolitan.

I'm officially hooked on comics again. This will pass but for now... So wonderful.

Coincidentally picked up the first trade of the Metabarons two days before seeing Jodorowsky's Dune. So that's next. Then trade 3 of Saga. So excited.

And it even gets much better from there. :up:

Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:46 am

https://www.humblebundle.com/books

Humble's got a Doctor Who comic bundle. No idea if they're any good but it looks like quite a bit of content, even before the first BTA.

Thu May 15, 2014 11:18 am
Profile WWW

Marvel's Secret Wars and Secret Wars II are both quite underrated in terms of reading quality.

Random fact to randomly bump thread.

Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:23 am
Reply to topic   [ 800 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16