It is currently Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:59 pm

Reply to topic  [ 537 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
 Let's talk about manga, maybe some anime, me and you. 
Post Re: Let's talk about manga, maybe some anime, me and you.

Fist wrote:
Still watching Kill La Kill and digging it more and more as it gets more operatic.

First anime I've tuned into as each new episode's been released. Such a ridiculously fun show. NUUUUDIST BEAAAACH.

Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:31 am

Das wrote:
That's a thing too.

Hyouka's turned out to be one of the more compulsively rewatchable shows - it's maybe the best thing Kyoto Animation's done, certainly my favorite at the moment.

Hyouka's animation has done a lot to seriously jade me on other new shows because its animation and production value is so completely beyond 95% of everything else, I mean it's the kind of quality you'd expect out of an animated feature film in places.

Better than Haruhi?

Grabbed that this past week. Will prioritize. I've been hearing a lot about Space Dandy. Will do likewise.

In a word, I think that, far from favoring directors’ formal inventiveness, widescreen, instead, stifles it. It is, I’m more and more persuaded, if not the only, at least the main culprit for the expressive poverty of the image today. - Eric Rohmer
Vimeo / / / Flickr

Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:10 am

For me, yes I think it passed Haruhi, although it's not quite as immediate in impact, or as compulsively fun as that series - there's layers you appreciate more and more afterwards - tons of interesting formal stuff and great, great character journeys.

Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:42 am

Setting some mad expectations Broseph of Nazareth

In a word, I think that, far from favoring directors’ formal inventiveness, widescreen, instead, stifles it. It is, I’m more and more persuaded, if not the only, at least the main culprit for the expressive poverty of the image today. - Eric Rohmer
Vimeo / / / Flickr

Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:44 am

haruhi is annoying tho brorooror

Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:41 pm

Hyouka is soooooo good man yeah wow fo sho

Vimeo / / / Flickr

Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:23 am

Woah would like more thoughts

Also expect some manga related udates soonish. Finished some series up. Some good, some bad.

Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:55 am

Hmm, not really sure yet. It's odd. Obvious qualities like amazing animation, great acting, style, etc. It draws a vision of school life and culture really well and I love the quotidian nature of the mysteries. I'm on episode 16 or something now. I'll try to have more to say once I finish the season.

Vimeo / / / Flickr

Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:33 am

i'm rewatching his and her circumstances, which is pretty formally nuts.

Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:50 pm

Anno right? Want to watch that.

Vimeo / / / Flickr

Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:01 pm

The end of Hyouka was really lovely. There's probably going to be more of this at some point yeah? Aren't there more original novels? I'd like more. The last few episodes really bring things to a great plateau with all four characters with beautiful potential. I'd also be fine if this was ever all there was for the same reasons.

Vimeo / / / Flickr

Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:47 pm

I have no idea, but the impressions I get with Kyoto these days is 20+ And it's self contained, less and there's potential for another series. I feel good about where Hyouka decides to end, I thinks that covers all the light novel material.. Dunno for sure but it felt like a satisfying place to leave for me.

That said I'd be perfectly happy to see more of it as despite being a deft mesh of tropes, it feels rather unique in Kyoto animation's body of work.

Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:12 pm

I'd like for them to do something in the vein of Fumoffu again. Maybe they have and I missed it...

Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:17 pm

I'm having a remarkably hard time not giggling at the anime for Attack on Titan, it's almost relentlessly unaware of its bombast, the animation does solve the issue of the manga's horrifically inconsistent art however.. It's amusing enough, just it's probably far more comedic than it was intended to be.

Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:46 pm

The "monster" designs in that are hilariously weird, thus anything involving them made me giggle at least.

Space Dandy is a lot of fun so far. I'll have the two credits songs stuck in my head for eternity.

BOOBIES

Vimeo / / / Flickr

Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:53 am

Potato head men! That's more or less what they are.

Also, dramatically, it's so fucking straight faced 95% of the time, with bombastic guitar music and action lines, always edging with serious intent and a dingy, predictable sense of portent. I've put down a 20 dollar bet with a friend that HUMANITY 'DIES' at the end of the manga source.

Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:29 am

Not precisely manga but... whatever.

Bryan Lee O'Malley reveals Seconds' artwork, cover.

Facebook account, you're free to add me.

I AM THE NIGHT!!!*
Futurama.
Deadliest Warrior.
My nerdiest moment.
Favorite intros.
FMA*
The Spectacular Spider-Man
The Beatles*

* = Unfinished

Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:16 am

O'Malley's still alive? Cool. Hope that's good whenever it comes out.

Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:09 am

Das wrote:
O'Malley's still alive? Cool. Hope that's good whenever it comes out.
I think he had decided to take a break after Scott Pilgrim.

I AM THE NIGHT!!!*
Futurama.
Deadliest Warrior.
My nerdiest moment.
Favorite intros.
FMA*
The Beatles*

* = Unfinished

Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:17 am

They sent me a copy of Magi to review. Unwatchable. So annoyingly bad.

Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:00 am

roujin wrote:
They sent me a copy of Magi to review. Unwatchable. So annoyingly bad.

Couldn't stomach a chapter of that when I tried reading it. Was trash as manga - probably more so as an anime.

I'm not watching anything. Goodnight PunPun's ending was the last thing I really read.

Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:06 am

ooh, didn't know that had ended. gonna have to read it.

am considering reading the kimi wa pet's earlier work.

Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:16 am

Punpun kind of declines a bit into 'too dark' territory towards the end, but the end is beautiful, elegant and kind of justifies a lot of that - it's absolutely terrific anyway - easily the best thing Asano's done.

I need something compelling to read again though, maybe I'll do similar.

Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:51 am

there's a manga thread???

anybody keeping up with Birdman? starting to think i'm the only hardcore Yellow Tanabe/Kekkaishi fan in existence.

Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:57 am
Profile WWW

It's also an anime thread! Yeah there is but it's taken 4 years for my poor little thread to get to 11 pages so who can blame you for not knowing (And I don't update it often anymore). But do talk.

I looked it up, so few chapters right now. I'll read what's online tonight and see what I think.

Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:43 am

it's fairly typical shonen exposition so far, but i like her style: clean, direct, with easy & fluid humor.

Kekkaishi has one of the more unique childhood friend romances I've read

Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:48 am
Profile WWW

I'll give them a shot - need something new to read now.

If it's more typically shonen stuff I may end up disliking it, but may as well.

Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:55 am

Okay, Birdmen has the potential to be something good - clean, swift paneling with an appealing artstyle - sense of humor that isn't awful and good cast to work with. Needs more time though.

It looks like it needs a new translation group.. monthly series get the rough end of the stick on keeping translations around.

Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:48 pm

Final episode of Kill La Kill this week. It's been a bat-crap crazy journey. I think it hit its peak in the middle act, around when Nui first appears, but I've been thoroughly entertained throughout.

Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:53 pm

So am I hearing that, if I liked Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, I'm primed to like Kill La Kill? I see screencaps and, well, those outfits... even I have a limit to how much fanservice I can stomach.

Also, Watanabe sure is busy these days.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2 ... -no-terror

I haven't yet finished Kids on the Slope(or even started Space Dandy), but I'm glad he's back and being productive.

Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:35 pm

Kill la Kill is a lot Gurren Lagann in that it's a well done 'smart dumb' show - it's outwardly kind of stupid and garish, but everything's actually pretty well written and generally done with a sense of awareness of what it's doing.

Watanabe just going on a roll is sweet - he took a near-decade break after Champloo.. 6 between that and Bebop speaking of Bebop related stuff, I hope he keeps Kazuto Nakazawa around after his next show because that guy's a super good character designer. I like that he's linked up with old crew for his new stuff.

Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:52 pm

awesome

Vimeo / / / Flickr

Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:07 pm

I don't really like the aesthetic of Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood but it continues to keep me engrossed with its strong storytelling and unexpectedly traumatic detours into some pretty dark territory. On the second season.

I gave Princess Jellyfish a go on a whim and rather enjoyed it. It's a shame it only had an 11-episode run. It ends on a very unfulfilling note with so many loose ends. Might give the manga a shot to see where the rest of the story goes. Adored the art style.

Sat May 03, 2014 8:52 am

So... this last week a new season of Sword Art Online began. The first episode was solid. I'll keep watching. Yup.

I AM THE NIGHT!!!*
Futurama.
Deadliest Warrior.
My nerdiest moment.
Favorite intros.
FMA*
The Beatles*

* = Unfinished

Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:34 pm

Wolf of the Winter wrote:
So... this last week a new season of Sword Art Online began. The first episode was solid. I'll keep watching. Yup.

I'll never get why that one's so wildly popular - it's so milquetoast in its amalgamation of so many various tropes and idk, it's hard to really buy into it.

Kill la Kill all the way through is obsession worthy, to be honest, it's better than the shows it takes from, even. Yeah, I'll go there. The animation's brilliant too.

Not really been keeping up with a series, I'll probably catch up with kyoto and what Yuasa's done with Ping Pong.

None of my favorite mangas are really moving, author delays..

Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:00 pm

8-) 8-) 8-)

I AM THE NIGHT!!!*
Futurama.
Deadliest Warrior.
My nerdiest moment.
Favorite intros.
FMA*
The Beatles*

* = Unfinished

Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:27 am

What's the word on the Knights of Sidonia anime?

Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:32 am
Reply to topic   [ 537 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11