It is currently Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:42 am

Reply to topic  [ 2962 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 56, 57, 58, 59, 60
 The Literature Thread 
Post Re: The Literature Thread

Shieldmaiden wrote:
Wow, nice catch! And I read that whole novel without noticing the squirrels. :-/

So the evocation is really subdued.

Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:52 am

Haha! Or, I'm unobservant. Sometimes it takes crazy sound and absurdity to get my attention. :P

The Invitation ▪ Om Shanti Om ▪ The Dressmaker ▪ Cameraperson ▪ Tale of Tales ▪ Maggie's Plan ▪ The Handmaiden ▪ Neon Bull ▪ Sweet Bean ▪ Captain Fantastic ▪ Under the Shadow ▪ The Love Witch ▪ I Am Not Your Negro ▪ Enter the Dragon

Voyage | Female Gaze | MACBETH | Sokurov | Fassbinder | Greenaway | Denis | Book Shelf

Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:30 am

It happens regularly, but Nabokov never draws particular attention to it. Worth noting that I also only learned this after the fact. Someone pointed it out in some article or blog post I read about it.

Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:28 am

Ah. I feel a little better, then. Here I was thinking you knew Russian, too!

The Invitation ▪ Om Shanti Om ▪ The Dressmaker ▪ Cameraperson ▪ Tale of Tales ▪ Maggie's Plan ▪ The Handmaiden ▪ Neon Bull ▪ Sweet Bean ▪ Captain Fantastic ▪ Under the Shadow ▪ The Love Witch ▪ I Am Not Your Negro ▪ Enter the Dragon

Voyage | Female Gaze | MACBETH | Sokurov | Fassbinder | Greenaway | Denis | Book Shelf

Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:21 am

My boss lent me the Griffin & Sabine trilogy. Should I be excited or is this homework?

Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:26 am

i am a real bookworm, currently I am finishing The Devil in the White city, very interesting book about the 1st serial killer

Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:56 pm

It took 100,000 years for a human being to murder more than two human beings? Maybe we aren't so bad after all!

Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:59 am

Is Proust worth reading? I might buy vol. 1 of In Search of Lost Time

Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:55 pm

MuntyJay wrote:
i am a real bookworm, currently I am finishing The Devil in the White city, very interesting book about the 1st serial killer
I've read that one, and while I was disappointed that Larson wrote so much more about the Fair than he did Holmes (what's the point of connecting the two if at least 2/3rds of the book is about only one?), his writing and the basic historical facts were more than compelling enough to make me not regret reading it.

Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:34 pm

Finally digging down into Chekhov's short stories. Don't know why I haven't done it before. So great! The novellas are next.

Here's a little taste from "Ward No. 6," which is amazing x amazing:

Quote:
Sometimes in the evening he wraps himself in his robe and, trembling all over, teeth chattering, begins pacing rapidly from corner to corner and between the bed. It looks as if he has a very high fever. From the way he suddenly stops and gazes at his comrades, it is clear that he wants to say something very important, but, evidently realizing that he would not be listened to or understood, he shakes his head impatiently and goes on pacing. But soon the wish to speak overcomes all other considerations, and he gives himself free rein and speaks ardently and passionately. His talk is disorderly, feverish, like raving, impulsive, and not always comprehensible, yet in it, in his words and in his voice one can hear something extremely good. When he speaks, you recognize both the madman and the human being in him. It is hard to convey his insane speech on paper. He speaks of human meanness, of the violence that tramples on truth, of the beautiful life which will be on earth in time, of the grilles on the windows, which remind him every moment of the obtuseness and cruelty of the oppressors. The result is a disorderly, incoherent potpourri of old but still unfinished songs.

Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:11 am

That one made the most impression on me, if I recall correctly.

I should get back into the Russians.

Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:01 pm

Yeah, he's amazing, and that one stood out. Also A Boring Story and In the Ravine.

Oh, and look what else I found: 201 Stories by Chekhov online. That will fill in some of the blanks left by the books I have access to.

Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:26 am
Reply to topic   [ 2962 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 56, 57, 58, 59, 60