It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:11 pm

Reply to topic  [ 17340 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 342, 343, 344, 345, 346, 347  Next
 The Video Game Thread 
Post Re: The Video Game Thread

Bandy Greensacks wrote:
I think Beyond: Two Souls is the only David Cage game I truly enjoyed. It has less horrid voice acting, fewer lines of awful dialogue, a more interesting setting/premise and smoother mechanics.

The others are good for laughs

I thought Heavy Rain was really enjoyable. But I like story-games, Life Is Strange, The Wolf Among Us, Firewatch, Edith Finch, etc. I can't seem to get much of anything out of B:TS. And one of my biggest issues is that when there is gameplay, it is the worst. Just seems like the game is not designed well to me. Mechanics seem to change or come out of nowhere. I missed something really cool that effects the story the other night because I could not figure out what mechanic would allow me to interact with what I'd found. I made several attempts and then it disappeared and the moment passed. It was typical of my experience with the game.
Ellen Paige is really good though. Not totally sure what they needed Willem Dafoe for.

Sun May 20, 2018 12:37 pm

I have only ever played David Cage games Mystery Science Theater style, semi-collaboratively, with a group of friends in the room, and I think that's the only way to play them. They're such a perfect mix of ridiculous and compelling (and purely visceral), that group reactions really enhance the experience.

Sun May 20, 2018 1:57 pm

Macrology wrote:
I have only ever played David Cage games Mystery Science Theater style, semi-collaboratively, with a group of friends in the room, and I think that's the only way to play them. They're such a perfect mix of ridiculous and compelling (and purely visceral), that group reactions really enhance the experience.

Oddly enough that's how a lot of people recommend Until Dawn should be played. They say it's a great Party Game.

And Wooley I wouldn't recommend Tropical Freeze to people unless they liked platformers. And also that game is hard. Both Donkey Kong Country Returns and Tropical Freeze are some of the hardest games I ever played. But dammit if I didn't enjoy every minute of them. Just for the shadow levels alone. Actually that's silhouette I guess haha.

Sun May 20, 2018 4:41 pm
Profile YIM

Until Dawn is just a good game in general. One of the few horror games in recent memory that actually manages to be... you know, scary. Sometimes. At the very least, it does a good job of creating tension.

Just don't go into it expecting anything more than QTEs and multiple story paths and endings, and you'll enjoy it.

Sun May 20, 2018 5:34 pm

Macrology wrote:

That's a cool idea, I've got some friends I could maybe do that with. And then I wouldn't have to do the silly mechanical things as much. And somebody would maybe remember what my son was wearing before he was kidnapped, cause I sure didn't notice.

Mon May 21, 2018 12:33 pm

Ace wrote:
Oddly enough that's how a lot of people recommend Until Dawn should be played. They say it's a great Party Game.

And Wooley I wouldn't recommend Tropical Freeze to people unless they liked platformers. And also that game is hard. Both Donkey Kong Country Returns and Tropical Freeze are some of the hardest games I ever played. But dammit if I didn't enjoy every minute of them. Just for the shadow levels alone. Actually that's silhouette I guess haha.

Hmmm... Until Dawn as a party game. That could be cool. I guess the only problem would be that everyone would have to have at least some facility with a controller because in that game if you fail the QTEs, somebody dies and there's no going back.

Yeah, I am not a platformer at all. Original DOOM (when I played it back in '94) was like everything in the world (of video games) had suddenly become right. And I've never looked back. When I played original God Of War (which I think was a platformer or something very like it), I knew I was never going back to that format.

Mon May 21, 2018 12:37 pm

Bandy Greensacks wrote:
Until Dawn is just a good game in general. One of the few horror games in recent memory that actually manages to be... you know, scary. Sometimes. At the very least, it does a good job of creating tension.

Just don't go into it expecting anything more than QTEs and multiple story paths and endings, and you'll enjoy it.

Yeah, the first time I realized that one of the characters died specifically because of the way I had treated someone when I was playing as that character hours before, I knew I had found something special.

Mon May 21, 2018 12:40 pm

Yeah I think I left off where Mike got to the asylum. That girl died because even though i chose to go the risky route I fell a few times. :(

Mon May 21, 2018 4:39 pm
Profile YIM

Ace wrote:
Yeah I think I left off where Mike got to the asylum. That girl died because even though i chose to go the risky route I fell a few times. :(

Exactly.
The first time I played the game that girl made it almost to the end. The second time I wondered what would happen if I didn't chase so hard, would I find her somewhere later, would that change the game? And then her head dropped at my feet. And my favorite character, who survived the first playthrough, got slaughtered late in the game when I made a different choice than I had the first time that I didn't really remember what I had done.

Mon May 21, 2018 7:48 pm

Ace wrote:

God I need to get a Switch. This looks gorgeous and wonderful and good.

Tue May 22, 2018 12:12 am

Mario Tennis, a Jurassic Park builder, and more games to play in June

Wait, they're actually making a sequel to Shaq Fu? L-O-fucking-L.

Wed May 30, 2018 12:57 pm

Penumbra: Requiem, the final game in the Penumbra trilogy, is one of the strangest puzzle games I've ever played. Like Painkiller, it's a series of levels - each one at a separate location - and they're all strung together by a loose narrative. Unfortunately, the narrative is so obtuse - so much so that it borders on parody of obtuse video game stories - that it seems completely unnecessary. The game came out around when Portal was popular, so I can only assume that the developers were trying to ride its coattails. With that said, the puzzles are all very good, but their difficulty progression could have been better (I spent seemingly forever on the 3rd puzzle, but I breezed through the final two puzzles). In short, it's the video game equivalent of an appendix or a collection of demos, rarities and B-sides.

Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:52 am

I gave up on Beyond: Two Souls.
Long time since I quit a game. Worst game I've played in a couple years.

Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:53 pm

I still think it's a much better game than Heavy Rain. But David Cage in general isn't for everyone, to say the least.

Detroit might be the only game he's ever done that's hard to dislike, and that has more to do with the concept and choices than the game play. I do like that you can actually control the character during a lot of the QTE action sequences in that - that's a major advancement for him.

Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:51 am

Bandy Greensacks wrote:
I still think it's a much better game than Heavy Rain. But David Cage in general isn't for everyone, to say the least.

Detroit might be the only game he's ever done that's hard to dislike, and that has more to do with the concept and choices than the game play. I do like that you can actually control the character during a lot of the QTE action sequences in that - that's a major advancement for him.

I really liked Heavy Rain. I don't get how Beyond: Two Souls is any good compared to it but more importantly to almost any major-release out there. I don't remember playing a major-release game so deeply flawed in so many different ways as this one. As so many have mentioned, the combat is atrocious (every review mentions this as a major flaw right out of the gate), but a lot of times you don't even realize you're in combat or that you're supposed to be responding to something until it's already happened. Physical interaction with the environment is the most on-rails experience I've seen in a long time, where you often simply cannot move in a direction you're not supposed to go to reach your objective and initiating combat is not always even an option. And in combat, no matter what happens to you, you always end up in the same place eventually. I replayed a chapter because I had done SO badly in what I didn't even realize was sort of a combat action scene until I was halfway though it and I had already botched it royally and gotten apprehended, then did well on the second go-through but a few minutes later was in the same outcome. The game is like that throughout where you get to make choices, but no matter what choices you make the outcomes end up being the same. Additionally, the central conceit, the bond of Jodie and Aidan, is handled so inconsistently that it's really just ridiculous. In one chapter Aidan will be able to go through ceilings and floors to travel multiple levels or rooms away from Jodie, in others, he can't leave the room you're in (and of course, at other times you mysteriously have no access to Aidan at all). Generally, when you use Aidan there is only one thing he can do (strangle that guy, knock over a lamp, change the station on the radio. And most of the game you have no choice as to what he will do, there will either be only one option available, so there's no imagination to the game. In many cases where there were choices, I missed them and yet the story moved right along anyway. One reviewer described it as "the most passive gaming experience" she'd ever had and said, since the game promises to be all about choice but you have so few choices and none of them actually effect outcomes, it would have been more interesting to just watch a movie of the story and save 8 1/2 hours. I concur.
Anyway, I obviously kinda hated it, I felt it wasted too much of my time. I considered quitting it much earlier but then there was the chapter with the Navajo and the demon and that was at least a little pearl in this big sack of oyster shells.

Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:57 am

Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:29 pm

Of course, not all of this looks like actual gameplay, but still... give. Naow.

Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:53 pm

Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:24 pm

Stu wrote:

Of course, not all of this looks like actual gameplay, but still... give. Naow.

Most of it did to me, and, damn, can't wait.

Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:40 pm

These video games are awfully violent. :(

Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:00 am

Does anybody know how to fix screen flickering? I recently bought Half-Life 2 from Steam, but the constant flickering is really annoying me. I also looked up a couple tutorials, but none of them worked.

Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:23 am

Edit: wrong thread.

Uh, Zarya is pretty.

Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:51 am

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
Does anybody know how to fix screen flickering? I recently bought Half-Life 2 from Steam, but the constant flickering is really annoying me. I also looked up a couple tutorials, but none of them worked.

Oh. Half-Life 3. So amazing.

Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:45 am

Wooley wrote:
Oh. Half-Life 3. So amazing.

All kidding aside, do you actually know how to fix it, because it's really stressing me out.

Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:56 am

Flickering?

Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:35 am
Profile YIM

Ace wrote:
Flickering?

Sorry if I'm not being specific enough. It's just that I can't find a specific term to call this by. I'll try to elaborate more on what I'm talking about. Basically, when I move my mouse, white bars flash on the screen (mainly near the top of it). I discovered that if I record the screen as I play, it removes the white bars, but I'd still like to find a way to remove them altogether. If you or anyone else has experienced something similar to what I'm describing, I'd like to know of a solution to this bug.

Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:26 pm

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
All kidding aside, do you actually know how to fix it, because it's really stressing me out.

Sorry, I wish I did 'cause that game is so fucking awesome. I hope you can sort it out. When you say "flickering", what do you mean? Like lag? Or like light and dark?

Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:14 pm

Hey, by the way, I got The Nathan Drake Collection and I tried to play the original Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, but it's just a little too out-of-date for me. Can anyone recommend which of the other two I should play, Among Thieves or Drake's Deception?
I suspect if AT is good I will go on and play DD, but not necessarily the other way around.

Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:20 pm

Power through Drake's Fortune. The story is kinda set ups Among Thieves relationships. But if you must skip play Among Thieves and Drake's Deception. Among Thieves has some of the best set pieces in any games.

Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:02 pm
Profile YIM

Wooley wrote:
Sorry, I wish I did 'cause that game is so fucking awesome. I hope you can sort it out. When you say "flickering", what do you mean? Like lag? Or like light and dark?

It doesn't lag. What happens is that white bars seem to flash across different textures on the screen (mainly near the top of it). Fortunately, I discovered that as long as you record your screen as you play, it removes them, so I started playing a bit of it yesterday, but I would like to know of a permanent solution to it if there is one.

Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:08 pm

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
It doesn't lag. What happens is that white bars seem to flash across different textures on the screen (mainly near the top of it). Fortunately, I discovered that as long as you record your screen as you play, it removes them, so I started playing a bit of it yesterday, but I would like to know of a permanent solution to it if there is one.

Hmmm... don't think I've ever seen that. Is your computer fully powered to run it? Have you tried uninstalling/reinstalling?

Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:12 pm

Wooley wrote:
Hmmm... don't think I've ever seen that. Is your computer fully powered to run it? Have you tried uninstalling/reinstalling?

Yes, it should be able to run it just fine. I reinstalled it once shortly after I got it, but it didn't work.

Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:22 pm

Wooley wrote:
Hey, by the way, I got The Nathan Drake Collection and I tried to play the original Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, but it's just a little too out-of-date for me. Can anyone recommend which of the other two I should play, Among Thieves or Drake's Deception?
I suspect if AT is good I will go on and play DD, but not necessarily the other way around.
I'll go against the grain here and recommend Deception over Thieves, as the latter's actually always been my least favorite Uncharted (despite all the praise it gets), as I've always found the gameplay in it to be kind of clunky, while I remember Drake's Deception being a lot of fun... though not as fun as A Thief's End, which is my favorite entry in the overall series.

Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:10 pm

Don't listen to Smalley.
The Ranking goes as Follows
Unchrated: THe Lost Legacy
Uncharted A thief's End
Uncharted 2: Among THieves
Uncharted 3 Drake's Deception
Uncharted : Drake's Fortune

1's story is minor tie in to 2. Mainly the characters. But 1's story makes a comeback into 3. And 4's stories ties everything nicely. And Uncharted Lost Legacy is a minor sequel to 4.

Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:12 pm
Profile YIM

Begun, this Steam Sale has...

Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:00 pm

I have decided that the top 5 classic action platformers are:

5. Mega Turrican

Nice, crunchy Genesis action. I'm sad that I haven't even defeated the 2nd stage in the game, though.

4. Revenge of Shinobi

It took me a while to get used to this one, but I like that it's more tense and demanding that Shinobi III.

3. Journey to Silius

A marvelously paced action platformer. The NES's best soundtrack by far.

2. Castlevania: Rondo of Blood

The best Castlevania. It feels like a natural evolution of the first game, where every single screen has something new to say. It doesn't wear out its welcome like Super Castlevania IV.

1. Ninja Gaiden

Of course. This is the game that threw the book out the window when it came to designing an action platformer. Other than its direct sequel, there's really nothing else quite like it.

Oh, and I've decided that Burger Time is the best golden age arcade game. Not Galaga. Not Ms. Pac-Man. Not Robotron 2084. It's Burger Time.

Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:02 am

While it seems to be universally loathed, I actually really like No Man's Sky. Granted, aside from briefly playing Stardew Valley and Subnautica, this is the first survival game I've really sunk my teeth into, so I barely have any similar gaming experiences with which to compare it. While there's the joy of exploration, crafting, resource management and taking in the atmosphere and visuals, there's also something thrilling about having an entire universe as your playground. I can see playing this becoming a serious problem akin to my 5-year World of Warcraft addiction.

Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:17 am

Torgo wrote:
While it seems to be universally loathed, I actually really like No Man's Sky. Granted, aside from briefly playing Stardew Valley and Subnautica, this is the first survival game I've really sunk my teeth into, so I barely have any similar gaming experiences with which to compare it. While there's the joy of exploration, crafting, resource management and taking in the atmosphere and visuals, there's also something thrilling about having an entire universe as your playground. I can see playing this becoming a serious problem akin to my 5-year World of Warcraft addiction.

I enjoyed it for that, I just eventually got bored.

Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:54 pm

Wasn't it just the same? Get to the center of the galaxy? Rinse and repeat?

Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:56 pm
Profile YIM

Probably about halfway through Uncharted 2: Among Thieves.
I'm mostly enjoying it. And the things that have annoyed me a little really have more to do with the limitations of the technology at the time or how far we've come with it, and maybe a couple of choices in how they made the game.
But I suspect I'll finish it and maybe even play the 3rd or 4th one as well.

Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:56 pm

Wooley wrote:
I'm mostly enjoying it. And the things that have annoyed me a little really have more to do with the limitations of the technology at the time or how far we've come with it, and maybe a couple of choices in how they made the game.

I haven't played the 4th, but the 3rd is a big step down, with generally weaker level design and an awful melee combat dynamic it pushes at every opportunity.

Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:01 pm

Wooley wrote:

Good Good. Let the Uncharted flow through you. When you get to the train level oh man it's such a treat. 3 is a step down but also good in it's own right. 4 is much better TO ME because of the character interactions. It's a character game. So some people are mad they dialed back the set pieces while I was ok with it.

Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:11 pm
Profile YIM

Rock wrote:
I haven't played the 4th, but the 3rd is a big step down, with generally weaker level design and an awful melee combat dynamic it pushes at every opportunity.

I heard that. Maybe skip ahead to 4, which I heard was pretty good. I mean, it ain't like this is the best game I've ever played, it's not even the best game I've played this month (Doom), but it's above the line of being worth my time.

Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:58 pm

Ace wrote:
Good Good. Let the Uncharted flow through you. When you get to the train level oh man it's such a treat. 3 is a step down but also good in it's own right. 4 is much better TO ME because of the character interactions. It's a character game. So some people are mad they dialed back the set pieces while I was ok with it.

The train level was really good. I mean, that was a genuinely memorable game set-piece.
I like character games so I'll dig that.

Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:00 pm

Ace wrote:
I don't think they dialed back the action in A Thief's End at all in favor of the characters (though both aspects are more or less equally strong) when compared to the other entries; I mean, that massive convoy chase in Madagascar, anyone? So, so good.

Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:01 pm

Stu wrote:
I don't think they dialed back the action in A Thief's End at all in favor of the characters (though both aspects are more or less equally strong) when compared to the other entries; I mean, that massive convoy chase in Madagascar, anyone? So, so good.

The convoy scene was the biggest action set piece in the game. Everything else was mainly just small encounters. Which I didn't care just because the character interactions were so good. And that's why The Lost Legacy is so much better. It added even more character interactions. And then added even more setpieces. I wont spoil the final setpiece but man was it a nice throwback.

Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:53 pm
Profile YIM

The A.V. Club’s favorite games of 2018 so far

Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:08 pm

Am I a total anomaly, as a video game enthusiast, in hating "boss battles"?
I just fuckin' hate 'em.

Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:26 am

It's why I'm glad Uncharted did away with them. Unless games follow the Mario school of thought. Where they go a whole level teaching you things so that you'll learn it and eventually use it in the boss battle.

Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:54 am
Profile YIM

Sometimes the boss battles can be the best part of a game. I didn't care for Hollow Knight, but some of the bosses were truly great.

Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:09 am
Reply to topic   [ 17340 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 342, 343, 344, 345, 346, 347  Next