It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:46 am

Reply to topic  [ 17026 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 335, 336, 337, 338, 339, 340, 341  Next
 The Video Game Thread 
Post Re: The Video Game Thread

it's usually more prudent to be stealthy in games that offer stealth options.

In a word, I think that, far from favoring directors’ formal inventiveness, widescreen, instead, stifles it. It is, I’m more and more persuaded, if not the only, at least the main culprit for the expressive poverty of the image today. - Eric Rohmer
Vimeo / / / Flickr

Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:56 am

Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:06 pm
Profile WWW

I played a bit of that at indiecade. I mostly liked what I saw and I really did not expect the music sequence. Where I made a damn fool of myself.

Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:52 pm

Hyper Light Drifter blended past and present to become 2016’s most beautiful game

Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:31 am

Hey Im gonna buy that sometime this week!

Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:06 am
Profile YIM

I do need to play through Hyper Light Drifter now that they finally, wtf, have 60fps mode (it was honestly unplayable before. Just way too manic and I need tight input response). I bet that co-op is brilliant as well

Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:39 am

I'm pretty close to beating Tetris: The Grand Master 3's Master Mode. I got to lvl 939/999 the other night and JESUS F CHRIST I AM A GOD

Like, I'm probably within the top 100 best Tetris players in the world at this point. Here's the game, and the expected pace I'm talking about (well, not expected cuz this is a ridiculous world record run. Takes me about 6:30 to get to 500 so he's consistently twice as fast as me)

My Twitch show is gunna be centered around me getting an arcade cab so I can go on my quest to become the second NA Grand Master and be the Seventh God of Tetris

Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:43 am

Just finished watching Cosmos, and I'm not sure what's more impressive: our unimaginably immense universe or those Tetris skills.

Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:36 am

He played it while invisible and on level 999. And I get the feeling you dont' actually beat it until you beat the invisible level.

Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:43 am
Profile YIM

My God. I didn't even know that invisible level was a thing. I thought it was an endgame animation. I'm going to see Arrival next week, but this is already like contacting extraterrestrial otherness.

Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:09 am

How toxic is the Rust player base? The negative reviews are pretty grim.

Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:21 am
Profile WWW

The Last Baron wrote:

It seems to be where most of the really assholish DayZ players went after they got bored of it, so probably pretty fucking toxic if it's anything like DayZ during its peak popularity.

Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:31 am

Beau wrote:
My God. I didn't even know that invisible level was a thing. I thought it was an endgame animation.
Ace is on the right track

The start of the game dictates the pace of the round. Each dropped line nets you 1 level, and you want your line clears to largely be Tetrises or 3s (Tet=6lvls, 3=4lvls, 2=2, 1=1) - Each section is graded via a pop up which says "COOL" or "REGRET". The arbitrary first condition is lvl100 by 1:30. I can get it in :30-:45 and that is the pace you want to set. The game calculates your time in wake of hitting the level target and speeds up the game accordingly. It is possible to play too fast and have the fun be a shit show. You need to hit every single cool section and then hit all your Tetris, combo, and t-spin (spinning T pieces into a line clear) grades along with being... insane. That's an insane accomplishment.

Ace isn't quite right in that you don't need invisible credits to clear. If you don't meet all the conditions you get blocks which fade instead and clearing that counts towards your grade and is thus a clear, in fact, you can get a grade if you don't clear so I have technically "beaten" the mode, Numerically I am graded 10 of 33 possible (S1)... let's call them belts. Clearing Invisible Tetris is nothing but a massive accomplishment and would put me... the top 15 I'm guessing? Maybe top 10? Yaaaaaaa, let's not get crazy here. That's a year or two off. I bet that clearing the fading lines would put me in top 20.

The big hurdle for me is clearing lvl500 in 7 minutes. From there you can play loose and aim for a clear. That is where I'm at practice wise. I'm not quiiiite at being able to fire away through a whole match and my arcade stick gets a lot of blame there because I drop a lot of inputs with it. Need good Japanese parts. I also, y'know, want an actual cab :shifty:

Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:37 pm

Yo, Tracer is totes gay.

Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:34 am

The Guy in the Trenchcoat wrote:
Yo, Tracer is totes gay.
No no, we're engaged

Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:59 am

The Nameless One wrote:
No no, we're engaged

Your couple's chaturbate page just got interesting.

Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:37 am

This forum isn't available in Russia because of anti-gay propaganda laws.

Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:39 am

Awww :3, we're only engaged in San Junipero so I hope she's happy

Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:24 am

The Last Baron wrote:

Gamers are the worst in a lot of ways. Just go to Gone Home's Steam page for evidence.

Haters gonna hate.

Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:09 pm

I filmed myself doing the Tetris for once!

2nd personal best :), glad I caught this one

Sun Dec 25, 2016 4:00 am

Samm@el wrote:

Gamers are the worst in a lot of ways. Just go to Gone Home's Steam page for evidence.

Haters gonna hate.

Christ. Not going there. And for Gone Home, too. The most unambiguously videogame-y of all the so-called "walking simulators."

Sun Dec 25, 2016 8:20 am

Stardew Valley's pretty special. At least, from what I've managed to play so far. I never touched the old Harvest Moons and wasn't sure I'd dig a "farming simulator," but it's more than that. It's almost like Majora's Mask, except Clock Town's the entire game. There are tons of systems hidden in there, but they're revealed to you very slowly. There's lore to hear, secrets to find, a cave system to explore, people to meet, girls to seduce, and your little farm to grow. I have a cat, too. And there's a magician waiting for me in some tower, but I think I need some sharper axes to cut through the obstacles in the way. Maybe. The game doesn't really hold your hand, but you're not penalized that badly for sucking. Which I do, certainly. There are Wikis out there explaining how you can be an enterprising little farmer in no time at all, although that sounds like it contradicts the entire point of the game and even the narrative (about an estranged city dweller who moves into his grandfather's rural plot to escape a crushing cubicle life).

Sun Dec 25, 2016 8:27 am

Beau wrote:
Stardew Valley's pretty special. At least, from what I've managed to play so far. I never touched the old Harvest Moons and wasn't sure I'd dig a "farming simulator," but it's more than that. It's almost like Majora's Mask, except Clock Town's the entire game. There are tons of systems hidden in there, but they're revealed to you very slowly. There's lore to hear, secrets to find, a cave system to explore, people to meet, girls to seduce, and your little farm to grow. I have a cat, too. And there's a magician waiting for me in some tower, but I think I need some sharper axes to cut through the obstacles in the way. Maybe. The game doesn't really hold your hand, but you're not penalized that badly for sucking. Which I do, certainly. There are Wikis out there explaining how you can be an enterprising little farmer in no time at all, although that sounds like it contradicts the entire point of the game and even the narrative (about an estranged city dweller who moves into his grandfather's rural plot to escape a crushing cubicle life).

I really want to play this when I have a moment to catch up.

Sun Dec 25, 2016 3:45 pm

Beau wrote:
Nice write up. I put 200 hours in at launch and it was a wonderful experience which I felt so compelled to share and just revel in. I've been waiting for the patches to fill out before starting another game because... void mayo. I'm all about that void mayo.

You are playing it the right way for sure, it progresses naturally and you will feel your way through the upgrades and such. About 150 hours in I decided to pick up on fishing, it is dense and very much attuned to how you want to approach it all. Marvelous game

Sun Dec 25, 2016 4:56 pm

The Nameless One wrote:
Nice write up. I put 200 hours in at launch and it was a wonderful experience which I felt so compelled to share and just revel in. I've been waiting for the patches to fill out before starting another game because... void mayo. I'm all about that void mayo.

You are playing it the right way for sure, it progresses naturally and you will feel your way through the upgrades and such. About 150 hours in I decided to pick up on fishing, it is dense and very much attuned to how you want to approach it all. Marvelous game

Yeah, played some more in the first hours of Christmas, which seemed fitting. One of the big challenges in the game, really, is letting go of the conditioned need to do everything, complete all timed quests, etc. In most RPGs, there's a tacit agreement between player and designer that if there's something out there to do then it should probably be done. Yet not here, because you just can't. Days are short. You have to accept that there's stuff you won't be able to show up for and that there are tasks, skills, and storylines you won't be able to touch for a long, long time. Not because you can't, but because you have to choose what to do each day and accept that some things will be left undone. It's like a life lesson or something. Marvelous game, indeed.

Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:38 am

Anyone playing Stardew Valley with a controller? If so, is the controller support good? I'm always weary of "partial controller support".

Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:02 am

Why not just buy it on PS4?

Mon Dec 26, 2016 5:24 am
Profile YIM

Ace wrote:
Why not just buy it on PS4?

I didn't realize it was on other platforms, I'd only seen it on Steam. It's currently on for 40% off on Steam as well.

Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:42 pm

Samm@el wrote:

I didn't realize it was on other platforms, I'd only seen it on Steam. It's currently on for 40% off on Steam as well.

I've been using an Xbox360 controller with it for hours and haven't encountered any problems. It's all very intuitive and the rumble's pretty cool. Makes pulling out potatoes a profound experience.

Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:41 pm

Beau wrote:

I've been using an Xbox360 controller with it for hours and haven't encountered any problems. It's all very intuitive and the rumble's pretty cool. Makes pulling out potatoes a profound experience.

Nice, I think I'll grab it.

Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:48 am

I really liked how Miyamoto talks about how he was one of the first storytelling-focused "artists" in the industry, as opposed to being a more technical type, as well as the little breakdown of the beginning of the 1st level in SMB in this Vox vid:

Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:14 am

Switch monthlies are an...odd concept. Available free for a month, but once the month is up they're gone unless you purchase the game.

Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:35 am
Profile WWW

The Last Baron wrote:
Switch monthlies are an...odd concept. Available free for a month, but once the month is up they're gone unless you purchase the game.
I don't really blame them tooooo hard, especially as thr idea seems to be offering, say, SNES games with added online play. But ya Nintendo isn't very generous with that stuff. I have a feeling they gave us the horror story and left themselves with enough time to gauge reactions and adjust accordingly.

Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:04 am

Shut up and take my money!

Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:04 am

(In December)

Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:04 pm

Holy shit, Tangiers is still alive, and there's some footage

http://www.pcgamer.com/tangiers-develop ... e-footage/

Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:21 am
Profile WWW

Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:51 am
Profile WWW

One more day...

Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:03 am

My fondness for Abzu has faded. It's gorgeous but hasn't really stuck with me. It makes a nice wallpaper, I guess.

Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:39 am

http://ghost-recon.ubisoft.com/wildland ... index.aspx
Go there and enter this code
DM8ZV6ANRJ6U

Guarantees you acces to the Wildlands beta for the platform of your choice.

Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:16 am
Profile YIM

Somehow I'm still playing Stardew Valley 70 hours later. I wish I could quit you.

Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:30 am

Wolfenstein: The New Order dared to play games with the Holocaust

Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:55 pm

It finally gets something resembling a release date

Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:23 am
Profile WWW

Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:55 am
Profile WWW

So gonna play that even though I have yet to beat FTL.

Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:05 am
Profile YIM

https://www.humblebundle.com/freedom

Amazing bundle for $30 and they will double your donation to ACLU, International Rescue Committee, and Doctors Without Borders

Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:00 am
Profile WWW

Super Meat Boy
DAY6T-LDRM4-3LTRM

Day of the Tentacle
5454Q-FWLL7-GYN96

Octodad
36DIK-I2FWC-A5YYP

Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:11 am

Thanks Trenchcoat. I got Day of the Tentacle.

Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:33 am
Profile YIM

Breath Of The Wild is the most alive Zelda has felt in 30 years

Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:22 am

Glad to see the Zelda team got to work on those opening hours. It's like they got scared after alienating some players with Majora's Mask's ballsy intro (in which you have to, you know, save the world while learning the controls along the way) and decided later installments all needed interminable tutorial stages.

Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:05 am
Reply to topic   [ 17026 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 335, 336, 337, 338, 339, 340, 341  Next