It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:32 pm

Reply to topic  [ 18426 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 362, 363, 364, 365, 366, 367, 368, 369  Next
 The Television Thread 
Post Re: The Television Thread

LEAVES wrote:
In Game of Thrones I'm most intrigued by a select few things:

1. How will the psychic brother's knowledge of Jon Snow affect the plot? I would hope that it would be larger than just something in The North, given all of the epic craziness of that sideplot, but I don't see why his parents are such a big thing - having not read the books and missing a complete season. (Skipping a season was great - lots of things that I was supposed to know that I had to infer. Much more fun!)

2. How will psychic brother and dragon girl be related in the final battle?

3. I get where dragon girl is eventually heading (A Song of Ice and Fire, after all), but since her story is like 75% Mongol, will her ships fail as epic as the Mongol assault on Japan?

4. In a world at war with each other and against undead ice people, why is an assassin such a big plot point? I mean, people love Boba Fett, but he's sort of irrelevant.

1. Well, if Jon has Targaryen blood in him, that means two things. First, you have Dany looking for a strategic marriage, Targaryen's love to intermarry, and Jon's the most eligible bachelor in Westeros. Also, Jon may have some dragon powers, which is also of strategic interest. On the other hand, though, all the support Jon's gathered in the North is partly based on the presupposition that he's Ned's son. If it becomes known that he's not, well, that's bad for his northern alliances.

2. No idea.

3. That'd be quite the twist, though I've not a clue how Cersei would manage against, like, everyone else in the entire series.

4. She can be relevant in tons of ways. Depends on the situation, though. But imagine if, say, Dany's assault on King's Landing ends in some kind of stalemate or drawn-out siege. It'd be convenient, then, if Arya, with her infiltration and disguising skills, could sneak into King's Landing and off the queen - who's on her kill list, anyway. That might be instrumental to winning that conflict and allowing everyone to quickly shift their focus to the approaching undead people.

Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:50 pm

I did not expect Preacher Episode 5 to end that way. Whoa.

The MadMan Reserved 31 Seats
"I think its time we discuss your, uh....philosophy of drug use as it relates to artistic endeavor." -Naked Lunch (1991)

Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:41 pm

I reviewed the first two episodes of Cameron Crowe's Roadies

Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:39 pm
Profile WWW

TAS's semi-annual TV opinion post:

1) I deserve to get destroyed for this, but Fuller House is okay. Well most of it is stupid, but Stephanie Tanner is back in my life and I don't care.
2) Crazy Ex-Girlfriend is the best show on television.
3) I started Brooklyn Nine-Nine...it feels like it's 85% as good as Parks and Rec....which is a good thing.
4) Much better season from Orphan Black. I think, frankly, it's going to end too soon.
5) I miss all my TV shows that are supposed to have sexy female vampires. End of an era, man.
6) iZombie would be about 50% better as a TV show if it reduced the complexity of their overarching plot by about 10%.
6) So I'm trying to give all the superhero movies and shows a fair shot....I just can't do it. All the movies are just blah to me so far.
7) Along those lines, I started giving an honest watchthough to Arrow....season 1 was pretty good. Season 2 in progress, and I think it's a disaster. Hits the tropes I dislike - sprawling storylines, unable to keep focus, un-realism. Season 1 was actually pretty good in staying out of supernatural abilities, but it's seeped into season 2 and it's ruined it for me. And the lack of focus - enter Barry for a couple episodes, discard him. What's the plan with him? Same with that suicide squad. Same with the season 1 villian coming back. Same with...a lot of things. The way they've connected everything is too neat, the main villian is no fun at all, and the supernatural abilities are too prevalent. About the only thing I like is the avoidance of too much relationship drama, which I actually commend. Someone tell me I'm not insane for not seeing this.
8) I did see Daredevil season 1, which was much better. I actually think Karen is a bit of a weak spot, which breaks my heart.

Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:44 am

Barry gets his own show in The Flash.

Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:17 am
Profile YIM

Ace wrote:
Barry gets his own show in The Flash.

...how did I not recognize this

And I was complaining at the time about that whole freak accident wondering what the hell the point was.

Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:36 am

TheAsianSensation wrote:
7) Along those lines, I started giving an honest watchthough to Arrow....season 1 was pretty good. Season 2 in progress, and I think it's a disaster. Hits the tropes I dislike - sprawling storylines, unable to keep focus, un-realism. Season 1 was actually pretty good in staying out of supernatural abilities, but it's seeped into season 2 and it's ruined it for me. And the lack of focus - enter Barry for a couple episodes, discard him. What's the plan with him? Same with that suicide squad. Same with the season 1 villian coming back. Same with...a lot of things. The way they've connected everything is too neat, the main villian is no fun at all, and the supernatural abilities are too prevalent. About the only thing I like is the avoidance of too much relationship drama, which I actually commend. Someone tell me I'm not insane for not seeing this.
Cut and run while you still can. S2 is the best of the show, S3 takes literally everything you just complained about and ramps it up, then S4 dials almost all of it to 11. The series is upwards of 80% relationship drama at the moment.

Though, if you're just watching it for the pretty people (I'm not knockin' it, it's probably why I tuned in) they do stick around for the most part.

Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:14 am

DJ Rkod wrote:
Though, if you're just watching it for the pretty people (I'm not knockin' it, it's probably why I tuned in) they do stick around for the most part.

If you just want pretty people, watch The 100 instead. It's on the same channel, and at least that's a half-decent show.

Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:26 am

DJ Rkod wrote:
Cut and run while you still can. S2 is the best of the show, S3 takes literally everything you just complained about and ramps it up, then S4 dials almost all of it to 11. The series is upwards of 80% relationship drama at the moment.

S2 is the best they've got? Ew.

I do kinda want to stick around for Felicity (<3). If I get more of her, I'd stick around. And some more goddamn women superheroes.

Rkod!

Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:54 am

TheAsianSensation wrote:
S2 is the best they've got? Ew.

I do kinda want to stick around for Felicity (<3). If I get more of her, I'd stick around. And some more goddamn women superheroes.

Rkod!
There are more ladies in costume as the show goes through seasons 3 and 4. There's also a crapton more Felicity, to the point that I'll be shocked if you aren't somewhat sick of her by the time you're caught up, but who knows? If you want to splice The Flash in, its first season aired alongside the third season of Arrow and there have been a couple instances where storylines have carried directly from one show to the other. Flash is goofier and more fun than Broody McBroodpants.

¡TAS!

Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:44 pm

I liked Season 3 of Arrow but I have a feeling I'll prefer The Flash in the long run. Now only if Season 2 was on Netflix.

"I think its time we discuss your, uh....philosophy of drug use as it relates to artistic endeavor." -Naked Lunch (1991)

Sun Jul 10, 2016 4:48 pm

DJ Rkod wrote:
There are more ladies in costume as the show goes through seasons 3 and 4. There's also a crapton more Felicity, to the point that I'll be shocked if you aren't somewhat sick of her by the time you're caught up, but who knows? If you want to splice The Flash in, its first season aired alongside the third season of Arrow and there have been a couple instances where storylines have carried directly from one show to the other. Flash is goofier and more fun than Broody McBroodpants.

¡TAS!

I WILL NEVER BE SICK OF FELICITY

I'm just gonna watch this for the heroines.

Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:45 am

For season 3 and Flash Season 1 you're supposed to watch
Arrow first and then an episode of The Flash and keep alternating.

Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:48 am
Profile YIM

Do I really have to watch The Flash? Why can't I just do one show at a time?

Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:49 am

TheAsianSensation wrote:
Do I really have to watch The Flash? Why can't I just do one show at a time?

You don't but like DJ said they crossover. Plus the Flash is much more lighthearted.

Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:51 am
Profile YIM

Ace wrote:
You don't but like DJ said they crossover. Plus the Flash is much more lighthearted.

*rant alert*

That was my original hangup - I didn't want to be plot-committed to like 5 shows once I become committed to the first show. My main complaint with the genre.

Goddammit, I'm going to be in on Supergirl too, aren't I now

Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:53 am

TheAsianSensation wrote:
*rant alert*

That was my original hangup - I didn't want to be plot-committed to like 5 shows once I become committed to the first show. My main complaint with the genre.

The crossovers only happen twice a season but characters from each show do show up every once in a while.

Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:58 am
Profile YIM

TheAsianSensation wrote:
*rant alert*

Actually, all four of the CW shows (Arrow, Flash, Supergirl, Legends Of Tomorrow) are set to do a big four-piece crossover later this year. S4 of Arrow also did a little thing with Constantine. It's getting pretty unwieldy.

That said, for what's been released thus far it'd be more than feasible to just watch the relevant tie-in episodes rather than the entire seasons, if that's the way you want to go about it.

Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:09 am

The Night of

Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:41 pm

Bandy Greensacks wrote:
The Night of

Definitely planning on watching this soon.

Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:37 am

That was good stuff. Mos def will tune in.

Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:10 pm
Profile YIM

Also is that Bodie from the Wire?

Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:19 pm
Profile YIM

God damn, Outlander knows how to start a season.

Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:34 pm

Stranger Things <3

Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:10 pm
Profile YIM

Penny Dreadful is on Netflix. Awesome.

Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:21 am

MadMan wrote:
Penny Dreadful is on Netflix. Awesome.

RIP :(

Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:36 am

Stranger Things is an instant classic.

It succeeds with everything where Midnight Special & Super 8 ultimately failed.

Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:53 am

Samm@el wrote:

RIP :(

Wait is the show dead? If so I'm pissed.

Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:22 pm

MadMan wrote:
Wait is the show dead? If so I'm pissed.

Yep, it just finished its 3rd season, which abruptly turned into its season finale.

Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:52 am

Goddamnit. Now cable is doing to me what network TV has been doing to me for years.

Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:20 am

MadMan wrote:
Goddamnit. Now cable is doing to me what network TV has been doing to me for years.

Yeah, it's less than ideal but at least channels like HBO and Showtime are either giving their showrunners a heads-up or giving them a shortened send-off season to wrap things up.

Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:27 pm

Samm@el wrote:

Yeah, it's less than ideal but at least channels like HBO and Showtime are either giving their showrunners a heads-up or giving them a shortened send-off season to wrap things up.

That is very true.

Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:00 pm

The end of OITNB, so sad. :(

WCoF I II IIIL'EtàL'Eau한국88ShadowsBerlin thırd ISOLATIONVistaVision

Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:52 am
Profile WWW

Yup. :(

Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:56 am

Oh yes.

Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:24 am
Profile WWW

Captain Oats wrote:

Oh yes.

Dude. This looks fucking gnarly.

Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:36 am

Hidden America is pretty good.

Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:49 pm

Stranger Things, thoroughly mediocre I'm glad we all agree.

The Night Of, very sharp.

Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:35 pm

the best night of the week

Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:18 am
Profile WWW

That Bojack Horseman silent underwater episode

Best thing I've seen in a while

Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:50 am

Bandy Greensacks wrote:
That Bojack Horseman silent underwater episode

Best thing I've seen in a while

Amazing episode of television. I loved it.

Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:13 am

Recent series watches on Amazon and Netflix:

The Man in the High Castle (season 1). Liked it a lot.

Stranger Things. Liked it more than a lot. Couldn't help but smile broadly when a synthesizer track started playing for the main titles in Ep 01.

Danger Mouse (the Canadian reboot of the old BBC series of cartoons). Liked it a lot. I think it outdoes the originals, which are also available on teh Flix.

Thunderbirds (the Australian reboot of a series I never watched). Enjoyed myself.

Yeah, I watch kid's TV. I'm in my second childhood, after all. ;)

If you become rich and powerful, I hope that you will be cream rather than pond scum." --YTMN

YTMN's Remake Rematch Thread. Catalog Rounds 1-3
Thread abandoned 1 Aug 2017. Thread COMPLETE 25 May 14 (2d time!)
Images will disappear about 13 Feb 2018 forever.
I had fun. Thanks for reading!

The Future Unreels will also lose all its images on the same day. But just think about how many images Jedi has on Photobucket, and the other posters here.

Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:13 am

Gort was a child?

Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:23 am
Profile YIM

It was long ago.

We used to sit around and daydream about how cool it would be when the dinosaurs finally evolved into existence.

If you become rich and powerful, I hope that you will be cream rather than pond scum." --YTMN

YTMN's Remake Rematch Thread. Catalog Rounds 1-3
Thread abandoned 1 Aug 2017. Thread COMPLETE 25 May 14 (2d time!)
Images will disappear about 13 Feb 2018 forever.
I had fun. Thanks for reading!

The Future Unreels will also lose all its images on the same day. But just think about how many images Jedi has on Photobucket, and the other posters here.

Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:30 am

Trip wrote:
Stranger Things, thoroughly mediocre I'm glad we all agree.

The Night Of, very sharp.

You're not wrong.

Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:55 pm

Watched all of Apt 23 again on Netflix, still A+, eps still all fuckin out of order

Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:48 am

Nope, he's wrong.

Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:24 am

Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:38 am
Profile WWW

The Night Of finale quite satisfying but imo not one of the better ep of this great series.

Halt and Catch Fire pretty dope 8-)

Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:15 pm

Jeremy Davies to play Jesus in American Gods: http://www.ew.com/article/2016/09/01/am ... vies-jesus

Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:16 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 18426 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 362, 363, 364, 365, 366, 367, 368, 369  Next