It is currently Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:16 am

Reply to topic  [ 6099 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122  Next
 What have you been listening to, recently? 
Post Re: What have you been listening to, recently?

The Nameless One wrote:
Some good stuff in here. Jonwayne is great.

I've been rocking Owen Pallett's new album, In Conflict. It's finely layered stuff, more heavy on the electronics than his previous work. Brian Eno produces a few tracks which all scream Peter Gabriel's Us - forming menacing clouds only to have light pierce through them at the end. It's not my favorite work by him, but the lyrical work is his most accomplished here. Great stuff all in all.

Ha! I saw Pallett live once, and remember a moment where, during a brief lull and awkward interaction with the audience, some guy next to me yelled out: "How the fuck did you come up with this shit?". Quite a valid query, I thought. But you're right, this later stuff is a lot more layered and less suited to his earlier days of violin and sampler and socks. In fact, there's only one or two "loopy" (as he calls them) songs on this latest one. Personally, I like the evolution; he still tends to go off on abstract tangents that can become frustrating, but generally these songs are a lot more comprehensive and sprawling than we're used to hearing. I don't think I'd ever see him live these days unless there was some kind of sizeable orchestra involved. Have you heard any of the set he recorded with the Symphony Nova Scotia? It was a while back, but remains the one live recording of his work that I feel really does it justice.

And Jonwayne is a genius. His stock is rising due the more topical side of his production style (synths and all), but I can't recall a newcomer with such dense wordplay since Earl.

Bench-pressing purgatory, heaven in the stretches
Coals burn my feet, leaving hell in the trenches

WCoF I II IIIL'EtàL'Eau한국88ShadowsBerlin thırd ISOLATIONVistaVision

Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:29 pm
Profile WWW

I can't take Jonwayne seriously, and it's not just his look. He sounds like a guy who was just taught how to rap and has to take it slowly because he's struggling to stay on beat.

Okay, well, his live stuff is slightly better:

Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:23 am

Bandy Greensacks wrote:
I can't take Jonwayne seriously, and it's not just his look. He sounds like a guy who was just taught how to rap and has to take it slowly because he's struggling to stay on beat.

Haha.

He does tend to step off the beat, but I see that more in anticipation of it rather than a failure to keep up. Often, he injects initially incomprehensible words at the end of a verse, only to pick up the line again after a breath. There's something methodical (mechanical?) about his delivery, too, in the same way Chali 2na truckled through his lines. And of course, the fat man pitch and wheeziness. Similar to Big Pun, only without the Latino twang? I love how he packs his verses:

Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:55 am
Profile WWW

JediMoonShyne wrote:
He does tend to step off the beat, but I see that more in anticipation of it rather than a failure to keep up. Often, he injects initially incomprehensible words at the end of a verse, only to pick up the line again after a breath. There's something methodical (mechanical?) about his delivery, too, in the same way Chali 2na truckled through his lines. And of course, the fat man pitch and wheeziness. Similar to Big Pun, only without the Latino twang?

You could be right. I'm not saying the guy isn't talented, only that I have serious trouble taking him seriously. With that look and delivery, I'd just expect him to be releasing comedic tracks.

Also, I'd be interested in hearing people's thoughts on this new (kind of trap, kind of not) remix my friend and I just did. Maybe a bit of Purity Ring influence in a few sections, but I think we have our own style.

It was originally for a contest, but we missed the deadline. Figured it was still worth putting up.

Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:51 am

Lana's new album is excellent. It sounds like the album I was hoping B2D was going to be based on VG but wasn't. It does sound a bit too much like Lykke Li at times, but still, great tunes on here. She knows how to write a damn good melody.

See my latest blog entry: Run the Jewels’ “Close Your Eyes” and Police Brutality

По́мните Катю...

Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:40 pm

The Deluxe edition has my favorite song on there. Co Written BY Harmony Korine.

Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:51 pm
Profile YIM

I didn't care much for that one personally.

See my latest blog entry: Run the Jewels’ “Close Your Eyes” and Police Brutality

По́мните Катю...

Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:28 pm

After a few more listens, I change my mind. I rather like that track too.

По́мните Катю...

Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:45 pm

Check your ears.

Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:23 pm

I've been listening to the last two tracks on Rush's Moving Pictures ("Witch Hunt" and "Vital Signs") lately. They're just as good as any of the other songs on the album, so I'm not sure why they're never talked about. Actually, their "forgotten" status could be why they're so compelling.

Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:51 am

I've been on a steady blend of The National, St. Vincent, and Phantogram.

Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:38 am

Better than I remember it:

Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:44 am

So late, but whatever. I don't care.

Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:14 pm
Profile WWW

Yep, one of my favorite Lykke songs, maybe my favorite. I love love love her.

По́мните Катю...

Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:17 am

omg can we just get married already or what jesus christ

Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:46 pm
Profile WWW

:heart:

По́мните Катю...

Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:36 pm

Been really into this band lately. Upsetting that they broke up, but the three albums they put out are pretty good.

Also, hello. I'm new.

Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:06 am

Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:20 pm

Also, hello Stitch! Please, don't be shy. Actually, please, be an ornery jackass if you feel like it. Or be yourself. Unless you're shy, in which case, definitely be an ornery jackass. We're not meeting our quota at present.

Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:32 pm

LEAVES wrote:
Also, hello Stitch! Please, don't be shy. Actually, please, be an ornery jackass if you feel like it. Or be yourself. Unless you're shy, in which case, definitely be an ornery jackass. We're not meeting our quota at present.

Hi LEAVES!!! :oops:

Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:47 pm

Hi Filmwise! What kind of video game are you working on?

Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:53 pm

Welcome, Stitch!

Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:59 pm

LEAVES wrote:
Hi Filmwise! What kind of video game are you working on?

It's a character-driven game, with a persective on exploration in kind of Dark Souls (organic level design), and a sense of existential adventure in kind with Majora's Mask. I'm working with two artists and friends under the moniker of Shine Studios, we've been at it since last April.

I've begun to dive in to shooting scenes as of late, which has been enlightening, especially while devising musical compositions along side them.

Our game is called Enlightenless, and we even have a FACEBOOK PAGE!! :twisted:
facebook.com/enlightenless

This is off-topic though, so I'll say I've been listening to Burial's Street Halo and The Mountain Goats lately, hail Satan.

Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:43 pm

LEAVES wrote:

Hello! I can only guarantee two of the three.

Stu wrote:
Welcome, Stitch!

Hello, thanks!

Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:11 am

JediMoonShyne wrote:
Haha.

He does tend to step off the beat, but I see that more in anticipation of it rather than a failure to keep up. Often, he injects initially incomprehensible words at the end of a verse, only to pick up the line again after a breath. There's something methodical (mechanical?) about his delivery, too, in the same way Chali 2na truckled through his lines. And of course, the fat man pitch and wheeziness. Similar to Big Pun, only without the Latino twang? I love how he packs his verses:

I don't see the Big Pun comparison - Pun's forte was his intonation, ability to link rhyming patterns and schemes that had no right sounding so good together, and his phenomenal control.

Maybe I haven't heard Jonwayne enough though, I've only listened to a project in full.

Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:00 am

Classic LP Das.

My favorite song from the album:

По́мните Катю...

Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:08 am

Sure is, one of those records that set its artist up firmly in the 'greatest MCs of all time' discussion.

Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:42 am

Das wrote:
I don't see the Big Pun comparison - Pun's forte was his intonation, ability to link rhyming patterns and schemes that had no right sounding so good together, and his phenomenal control.

There's a distinct lack of the exaggeration that characterised Pun's flow, I agree. Though, there's something about Wayne's occasionally languorous - yet, always meticulously, almost perpetually systematic - delivery that recalls the former. Again, perhaps it's nothing but the wheeziness.

These verses might illustrate it better, since he moves a little faster:

Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:17 am
Profile WWW

Anybody into the Lewis phenomenon at all? What was assumed to be his one album of eerie, mumbly romantic ballads, L'amour, has been floating around and building hype for years, and finally got reissued this year, and now his previously completely unknown (as in no one knew it existed) second album has suddenly been discovered and is being reissued as well. L'amour is nice, and the mystery surrounding this guy is undeniably compelling if you're into this kind of story at all, but it's never made as much impact on me as it has for others, while this second album, Romantic Times, is just unreal, a warped, indescribably haunting set of synth-driven ballads with warbly, cracked vocals, seemingly overwhelmed with pain and loss.

Guy had the best record covers, too.

Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:10 pm
Profile WWW

I like the new Jenny Lewis and am looking forward to the whole record.

Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:53 pm

After 9 years, I've finally given Frances the Mute a full listen. I think this would have been a great EP, but there's just too much obvious filler on it, a la "King Crimson's "Moonchild". I remember it being touted as the best album ever by some people when I first joined RT. Haha, silly people.

Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:38 am

But have you listened to High Violet yet?

Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:48 am

Evil Prevails wrote:
But have you listened to High Violet yet?
I heard it the other morning, actually. Beats the hell out of Boxer.

Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:14 am

This stuff:

Pandora One's introduced me to so much good shit lately.

Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:27 am

Quite-Gone Genie wrote:
I heard it the other morning, actually. Beats the hell out of Boxer.

Alligator is their best anyway.

Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:54 am

Pink Floyd's Meddle, which is a graceful and wonderfully subtitle piece of work. It has my favorite Floyd track, "One of These Days," but I felt like posting "Fearless," which is also equally marvelous:

The guitar work is perfect.

The MadMan Reserved 31 Seats
"I think its time we discuss your, uh....philosophy of drug use as it relates to artistic endeavor." -Naked Lunch (1991)

Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:31 am

I'm just about that Reflektor, boss.

Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:23 am

meddle is the only pink floyd album i can get into.

been listening to jun togawa and her projects yapoos and guernica a hell of a lot. love.

"your review shows me only that you dont understand anything about movies and that you are a untalented wanna bee filmmaker with no balls and no understanding what POSTAL is. you dont see courage because you are nothing. and no go to your mum and fuck her …because she cooks for you now since 30 years ..so she deserves it." — Uwe Boll

Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:23 am
Profile WWW

I love Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here and what I've heard of The Wall. Meddle is the latest one I've heard from Pink Floyd. I was bummed when the public library's copy of The Piper At The Gates of Dawn was really messed up and didn't play. Guess I'll just have to YouTube the tracks on it, although I've heard some of the tracks from it already-"Bike," "Lucifer Sam," and "Interstellar Overdrive."

The MadMan Reserved 31 Seats
"I think its time we discuss your, uh....philosophy of drug use as it relates to artistic endeavor." -Naked Lunch (1991)

Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:45 pm

Mac Demarco

King Krule

Stories We Tell, (2012) - Sarah Polley
Spiderbaby or, The Maddest Story Ever Told, (1967) - Jack Hill

Il est six heures/Gary's Ghastly Gallery/mubi/last.fm

Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:49 pm

This has been going around in my head recently

Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:22 am

Entered an on-line contest to an advanced listenting of the new Aphex Twin. Should find out today or tomorrow since it's this weekend. Other than that an artist called Pretty Lights whose music can be described as glitch-hop. Not dissimilar to dubstep but not cloyingly redundant either.

Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:50 am

Dark Ending wrote:
Other than that an artist called Pretty Lights whose music can be described as glitch-hop. Not dissimilar to dubstep but not cloyingly redundant either.

It's a fun album. Have you heard ODESZA's remixes of a few of the tracks? I think they outdo the originals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAncODpky6E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kzGyMhqDKg

Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:49 pm

Quite-Gone Genie wrote:
After 9 years, I've finally given Frances the Mute a full listen. I think this would have been a great EP, but there's just too much obvious filler on it, a la "King Crimson's "Moonchild". I remember it being touted as the best album ever by some people when I first joined RT. Haha, silly people.
I'm not a fan either. The record is just so damn undisciplined. I like some excessive improvisation (a.k.a. noodling) in my prog, but not if it ventures into tastelessness.

Speaking of King Crimson, I'm flying up to New York this weekend just to see one of their reunion tour shows. I hope it's amazing!

Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:13 pm

Frances the Mute is actually the most disciplined Mars Volta LP too, they're one of the most self-destructive bands, insofar as that nearly every album has good ideas destroyed by excessive song lengths and overblown noodling.

Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:47 am

Anyone else enjoying Jessica Hernandez's Secret Evil? Doesn't falter once.

Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:56 am

scott walker + sunn o))) collab for days.

"your review shows me only that you dont understand anything about movies and that you are a untalented wanna bee filmmaker with no balls and no understanding what POSTAL is. you dont see courage because you are nothing. and no go to your mum and fuck her …because she cooks for you now since 30 years ..so she deserves it." — Uwe Boll

Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:02 pm
Profile WWW

Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:04 pm

SYRO. A ginormous record to spin one's head around to but rewarding on repeat listens. With several more albums and EPs on the way, Aphex Twin is back in full mode.

Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:39 pm

CASKETS

Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:59 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 6099 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122  Next